Highest Paying Jobs Advertised in America
How To Find the High Paying Jobs
You Can Find Jobs Listed All in One Place
Some of the most highly paid job titles in America may not be advertised at all. They may be within the hidden job market, or available only to Executive Recruiters (Head Hunters) with which a potential job candidate might need to register and pay for the privilege of such information.
Considering Internet-advertised jobs of all pay scales, two job search engines collect all of the jobs everywhere they appear on the Internet, making these vacant positions and their requirements publicly accessible. These two are Indeed.com and SimplyHired.com. Use them both to find the most jobs advertised at any one time, because some companies are picked up by one and not the other search engine.
Analysts' Results for High Paying Jobs
Various economic analysts and magazine research staffers compile lists of the Top 10, 15, 20 or more jobs in a number of categories, "Highest Paying" being a popular one with job seekers.
Bizjournal.com maintains a list of the following Top 5 Highest Salary Jobs:
1) Chief Executive Officers
- Avg Annual Salary $240,903
- Avg hours of work per year: 2,322 = 45 hours per week.
- Average hourly earnings: $103+ per hour
2) Physicians and Surgeons
- 2,100 hours per year worked on average at $66+/hour
- 2,032 hours per year at $65.82/hour
- 2,179 hours per year at $58+/hour
5) Aircraft Pilots and Flight Engineers
- 1,264 hours per year = Avg of only 24 hours per week (By law and regulation, these workers are limited to a lower number of work days than other full-time employees in other occupations, because of the recovery time between workdays and mental concentration required by the human body in these jobs)
Top 10 Highest Paid Jobs, lowest to highest salary, from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- Psychiatrists - $166,000+ annual salary
- CEO - $167,000+
- Family/General Practitioners - $168,000+
- Physicians and Surgeons - $178,000+
- Physicians: Internists - $183,900+
- OB-GYN - $208,000+
- Orthodontists - $206,000+
- Oral Surgeons - $210,000+
- Anesthesiologists: $211,000+
- Surgeons: $219,000+
A High-Paid Professional
We can see from this list that all of the 10 job titles are directly involved in the Healthcare Industry, although CEOs can be physicians as they lead healthcare organizations. It is reasonable to assume, then, that a proportion of the CEOs in this list are also physicians.
The US Bureau of Statistics therefore shows that the position of physician is generally the most highly paid in the USA, although some non-doctor CEOs receive larger compensation packages, especially in bonuses. The last phenomenon has been a point of contention between the Federal Government and Corporate America, especially during the Great Recession from 2008 - 2010.
Highest Salaries Advertised
Highest Paid Physician Jobs on Indeed.com Through 2016
Approximately one thousand physicians to be paid over 250,000 annually are constantly in demand across America, advertised by the following top firms:
- Fidelis Partners
- The Curare Group, Inc.
- Delta Physician Placement
- VISTA Staffing Solutions
- Cejka Search
- Nationwide Professional Resources, Inc.
- Delta Physician Placement - Permanent Physician
- Rad Dox iFind
- Columbia Healthcare
- BSM Business Solutions Management, Inc.
Where the Jobs Are Located?
The highest paid doctors are needed in Texas, California, Iowa, Minnesota, and Virginia.
Job titles at a salary of $100,000+ annually through 2016 include:
- Physicians in Internal Medicine
- Hospitalist Physicians
- Asset Protection Specialists
- Store Protection Specialists
- Trucking Owner-Operators
- Physicians In Emergency Medicine
- Specialists In Neurology
- Investigations and Forensics
Highest Salaries Projected for 2016 - 2017
- Highest paid jobs listed are out of a total of nine million Internet listings.
- Number of Jobs at $100,000 or higher: 780,000+
- Seven out of the Top 10 remain Physician listings. Additional job titles include those in high-level IT jobs, Physical Therapy, and Big Ticket Sales.
- Family Practice Physicians - without OB/GYN
- Sales Account Executives
- Family Practice Physician - with OB/GYN
- Internal Medicine Physicians
- Emergency Medicine Physicians
- Hospitalist Physician
- Physical Therapists
- Sr. Network Systems Engineers
- Sr. Software Engineers and Software Architects
Snapshot: Highest Paid Job Listings
- Indeed.com listed a total daily average of 6,500,000+ jobs through mid-2016, dropping to about 4,000,000 by Fourth Quarter 2016.
- Half a million of these jobs were advertised at an annual wage of at or above $100,000.
- All of the highest paid jobs are in 1) Healthcare and 2) Information Technology
Top 10 Highest Paid Job Titles:
- Physician - Internal Medicine
- Physician - Family Practice
- Physician - Family Practice-Without OB
- Physician Hospitalist
- Occupational Therapists in a Skilled Nursing Facility
- Physician - Neurology
- Physiican - Psychiatry
- Physician - Pediatrics
- Physician - Emergency Medicine
- Physician - Urology
Additional High Paid Jobs Listed:
- Physical Therapists
- Speech Language Pathologists
- Managers - Business Intelligence / Data Warehousing Health Plans
- Managers - Oracle
- Managers and Senior Managers - SAP
- Enterprise Data Management - Manager
- PeopleSoft HR Time & Labor Senior Consultant
- Systems Integration Health Plans Senior Manager
- Managers and Consultants - SI
Example: Increase in Family Practice Physician Demand
Explanation for Graphs
The demand for physicians increased by 375% from July 2005 through January 2009, a period of 3.5 years; then declined somewhat during 2009. From November 2008 through July 2010, job listings decreased slightly, but still increased by 25% over that November '08 starting point. The number of job listings for physicians held steady during the 7 months from November 2009 to June 2010.
American Companies Needing the Highest Paid Workers
- Various Recruiters and Head Hunters
- Hospital Jobs Online
- StaffPointe Medical Search
- Enterprise Medical Service
- Dandy Project LLC
- Critical Connection
- CyberCoders Healthcare and Cybercoders
- Deloitte - IT, Business, Finance
- Kforce Professional Staffing, Inc.
- Trustaff - Healthcare
- Merritt Hawkins - Healthcare
- RNTravelWeb.com - Travel Nursing and other Travel Healthcare Professionals
- ELITE Healthcare Group
Location of the Most Advertised Highest Paying Jobs Online
- New York City
- Washington DC
- Chicago IL
- Atlanta GA
- San Francisco CA
- Boston MA
- Houston TX
- Los Angeles CA
- San Jose CA
- Dallas TX
The largest numbers of Physicians are needed in the following US cities:
- New York City
- Houston, Texas
- Cleveland, Ohio
- Atlanta, Georgia
High Paid IT Managers are required in these cities: New York City, Chicago, Atlanta, San Francisco, Boston, Arlington VA, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Cleveland OH, McLean, VA.
Proactive Plans for Raising One's Salary
Individualism - Create High Earnings
Other ways to earn large amounts of money include
- Beginning and operating a successful business of one's own
- Becoming a successful commission sales person or investor
- Becoming an author who regularly sells a large number of books
- Becoming a actor- or model-celebrity
- Becoming a highly paid professional athelete
Most of these are self-starting careers or require the use of representative agents, or both.
The famous Rothschild family together make one of the wealthiest and most influential groups globally. Their banking enterprise was launched in the 1760s and their combined worth is estimated as up to $700 trillion among its many members.
Individual Trillionaire Predicted
- World's first trillionaire is alive today - World - News - The Independent
It’s pretty tough to understand exactly how ludicrously large a figure one trillion dollars is. ‘One with twelve zeroes’ doesn’t do it justice, but instead imagine this: even if you were profligate enough to spend a million dollars a day it would sti
Entertaining Canadian Film: The Trillionaires
A play and film by Canadian Kurt Spenrath of Alberta Province, this story is inspired by a true stock market/finance story. He calls it The Trillionaires.
This film story is a historical fiction of a company called Long-Term Capital Management (LTCM), a US hedge fund in the 1990s. The co-writer is Canadian Robert Bodrog.
© 2010 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Why does it seem to many workers that some American companies insist upon paying only low wages? Is a solution possible?
The American Association of University Women found that men are over four times as likely to negotiate a salary for a new job as are women.
My "Characteristics of the Ideal Employee" comes from 15 years' consensus of employers in a range of industries. These ideals can help you gain a job and earn promotions. See some added new tips!