Ann Arbor, Football Rival Of The Ohio State Buckeyes
High Tech Growth in Ann Arbor
Livingstone and Washtenaw Counties complete make up the Greater Ann Arbor Area.
Ann Arbor is famous as the home of the University of Michigan and for college football rivalries. One major rivalry is between U of M and The Ohio State University and is decades long, a lot of fun, and pretty intense. This particular rivalry is so intense that some non-football fans even get involved, sometimes in a negative way..
I have witnessed the fact that when U of M plays at OSU's Ohio Stadium, a local criminal element begins destroying dark blue (Michigan colors) cars in the area. I apologize to all Michiganders for such events and can report that the campus and local police and sheriffs' departments have the situation under control with more forces on the streets for these games.
On one recent trip through Ann Arbor, my rental car was red (OSU colors) and a driver in a blue vehicle with the U of M fans' logo on it ran me off the road on I-75 and I was happily unharmed. The plate was from Michigan, but the driver did not appear to be a student or U of M staff member that I could tell -- I wonder how he liked his traffic citation?
I still love Michigan and always will, though; and I find Ann Arbor a friendly city. Technologies are growing the Retail shopping area seems to be expanding on each of my visits.
Historic Michigan Theater
University of Michigan is Growing Local Businesses
Speaking of U of M, Sakti3 is an incubated business from the campus-business cooperation and is led by professor Ann Marie Sastry. She and Sakti3 plan to invest $1.1 million in the business and hire around 115 or more workers.
This new company seeks to commercialize a manufacturing process in Ann Arbor to develop high-power batteries that will withstand tough automotive use. they will be used primarily in eco-friendly electric vehicles. One such battery is planned to be a lithium ion battery for the Volt auto.
Another strong company is led by U of M graduate Bob Cell. This company is MyBuys retailing. MyBuys produces personalized product recommendations to their customers of online retailers, like a Personal Shopper. The MyBuys first office in Ann Arbor includes investments of over $5.4 million and needs to complete hiring got a total of 250 workers initially, with more to be added.
University and Museums, Southeast of the Michigan Theater
Friends & Rivals and Business
The famous rivalry between OSU and Michigan was traced back to a feud from way back in 1835. At this time, the State of Ohio and the Michigan Territory fought a battle (no casualties) over a border dispute called the Toledo War. Yes! - Both sides wanted Toledo and the surrounding areas, likely because the land is near transportation waterways good for business.
Many people think that this border conflict led to the big college football rivalry today. Sports are based on war, we know.
The first RIVAL game between Ohio State and Michigan was played at Ann Arbor in 1897 and won by the U of M Wolverines, who blasted the OSU Buckeyes, 34-0.
In 2003, a US House of Representatives put forth a Resolution to recognize this long standing rivalry as the greatest rivalry in sports history.
Travel, Tourism, Accommodations, Food Service, Retail and other industries' businesses have boomed in both Ann Arbor MI and Columbus OH, because of this great rivalry.
Ann Arbor Is a Busy International Transportation Hub
Major Attraction: Dance for Mother Earth
Largest MidWest Pow Wow - Ann Arbor, each spring.
The Big Rivalry
- Football Fun Fanatics: Ohio-Michigan Rivalry Escalates
The college football rivalry between OSU and U of M has resulted in everything from burning cars and sofas in the streets to players abusing spectators. Audiences and reporters love it all.
Ann Arbor Higher Education
- Cleary University
- Concordia University
- Eastern Michigan University
- The University of Michigan
- Washtenaw Community College
- Ave Maria School of Law
Descriptions of these schools and their programs can be found at Arbor Web arborweb.com/collegesindex.html.
Sports in Ann Arbor
Besides the Michigan Wolverines, Arbor Web also lists dozens of leagues, casual teams, and individual sports in a comprehensive site. The choices are overwhelming in Ann Arbor.
See Arbor Web above for area for attractions, including over 50 lakes.
Michigan Stadium on Opening Day 1927
Best Ann Arbor Companies and Jobs
The Number One Largest Employer in Ann Arbor and also in Michigan as a state is The University of Michigan; the link takes you to their employment page. Other of the Largest Ann Arbor Area Employers include;
- The Audiology Div. of the U of M
- The U of M Medical School
- TRW Chassis Systems - autos
- St. Joseph Mercy Health System
- Veterans Administration Hospital
Famous Company HQ in Washtenaw County
- Borders Group, Inc. (books)
- Domino's Pizza
- Google AdWords
- ProQuest - knowledge
Fastest Growing Jobs
- Truck drivers, CDL
- Public Relations (PR) Mgrs
- Network Systems & Data Communications Analysts
- Training & Development Mgrs
- Dental Assistants
- College Level Foreign Language/Literature Teachers
- Public Relations (PR) Specialists
- Physician Assistants, Including Nurse Practitioners
- College Level Vocational Ed. Teachers
- Medical Assistants
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Network & Computer Systems Admins
- Medical Records/Health Info Techs
- Home Health Aides [HHAs]
- Environmental Engineers
Highest Demand Job Listings
- Truck Drivers having a CDL and Owner-Operator Truck Drivers
- Retail Sales, Including Health Insurance
- Clerical Support Jobs
- Program Managers - IT and Other Engineering
- Occupational Therapists and Physical Therapists
- Patient Care Techs and Patient Services workers
- Medical Assistants
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- University of Michigan - Several fields. See www.umich.edu.
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Physician Assistants - Includes many Nurse Practitioners
Top 10 Strongest Jobs with the Most Openings Long-Term
- Healthcare Practitioners/ Technicians: Growing through 2100.
- Education, Training, Library Jobs
- Food Preparation & Service
- Sales and Related, including Sales Supervisors - indicates good retail trade.
- Transport & Materials Moving
- Office & Administrative Support Positions
- Registered Nurses [RNs]: Growing very quickly.
- Management Occupations: All fields
- Construction & Extraction Jobs
- Business and Financial Operations Jobs.
Easy Job Search
Local Job Search Links
MichiganWorks!™ No Worker Left Behind.- GREEN JOBS INITIATIVE
- Ann Arbor Area Clean Energy Coalition
- Center for Sustainability at Aquinas College
- Energizing Michigan's Economy - Environment Michigan
- Michigan Institute of Aviation and Technology
- Millennium Project: The Energy Wars: Some Lessons Learned - Ann Arbor Power Technology Institute
MichiganWorks! Provides 5 separate offices in the 2-county area to assist with employment needs. These offices also offer assistance and connections with childcare, transportation, and dozens of training facilities and other services in this area of the state at http://www.michiganworks.org/.
© 2008 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
President and Mrs. Barack Obama will retire back to Chicago and help with a program called My Bother's Keeper. It will help mentor young men and guide them into STEM courses and other education.
The largest growing occupation in Chicago was Choreographer, replaced by Healthcare, Information Technology (IT), Forensics and Trades. Aerospace is catching up quickly.
I have learned much from my Polish American friends about the important of Easter in their culture, friendships, families, and faith. Please enjoy the recipes and information.