El Paso, Texas Jobs and Culture
A Top Growing City After the Great Recession
El Paso has become the 4th largest city in Texas and 6th in the state for employers that post the most openings across Internet job search engines.
El Paso in 2013 became the 11th most successful city to growth in population and jobs after the Recession of 2008 - 2010.
ISS Night Photo of El Paso and Cuidad JuarezClick thumbnail to view full-size
Jobs Increase 2009 - 2014
El Paso enjoyed this upswing in jobs prior to the first Obama Administration's Stimulus Funds received from the American Recovery and Reinstatement Act. Afterward, workforce partnerships set about developing additional new jobs. This is forecast to boost the local economy for decades into the 21st century.
Major employers in El Paso are listing increasing numbers of positions in the career fields of Nursing (all levels, including Travel Nursing), Management, Accounting, and Customer Service.
The leading companies offering these jobs include healthcare organizations such as Tenet Healthcare, Del Sol Medical Center, All About Staffing, Inc., Providence Memorial Hospital, and the US Army Criminal Investigation Command (ACIC) - Like NCIS, but located within the US Army. Fort Bliss is a particularly large employer that expands continually every few years.
According the the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, El Paso gained 1,000 jobs in February 2009, even though unemployment was 8.2%; and gained 1,100 jobs in March '09. By February 2014, open jobs had increased to 13,000 listings. The potential for increasing numbers was demonstrated before the Stimulus Package funds were distributed for Employment & Training and projects requiring additional workers in El Paso Country. Afterward, they continued to increase, even post funding expiration.
Like NCIS? - Look at ACIC
Special Agents In Government Service
- USACIDC Main page
CID supports the Army through the deployment, in peace and war, of highly trained Special Agents and support personnel, the operation of a certified forensic laboratory, a protective services unit, computer crimes specialists, polygraph servic...
On the US-Mexico Border
Ell Paso Curiosities
Stimulus Projects Funds That Create Jobs 2008 - 2016
- Water & Waste Water - $54,000,000
- Energy - $50,653,000
- Highway Infrastructure - $44,000,000
- Housing - $14,000,000 - 100 new energy efficient homes
- Transportation - approx. $7,700,000
- HI Tech (Broadband Wireless) - $7,400,000
- Border Infrastructure - $6,000,000
El Paso Economic Stimulus Plans
- El Paso County Sheriff's Office - Recovery Act 2009 - JAG Local Solicitation
Joint allocation for El Paso County was a total of $1,957,784.El Paso County Sheriff's Department received $621,526. See what the funds purchased for the department.
El Paso Healthcare Providers
Healthcare and the Medical Industry are major assets to El Paso.
Starting from the city center and moving outward, healthcare providers include the following list, with selected links to their home pages, news, and job opportunities current and planned. Some of the heath systems below are expanding services and adding new specialties.
- El Paso Specialty Hospital
- MESA Hills Specialty Hospital
- Del Sol Medical Center
- Providence Memorial Hospital
- William Beaumont Army Medical Center
- Sierra Providence Physical Rehabilitation Hospital
- Sierra Providence Medical Center East
- Southwestern General Hospital
- Thomason Hospital
- Triumph Hospital El Paso
- Physicians Specialty Hospital of El Paso
- Sierra Medical Center
- Las Palmas Rehabilitation Hospital
- Highlands Regional Rehabilitation Hospital
- El Paso Psychiatric Center
- University Behavioral Health of El Paso
- Surgical Center of El Paso
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center at El Paso (TTUHSC)
- Total Care West – OB/GYN, women’s health issues.
- Border Children's Health Center
Major Health and Medical Placement Services and Recruiters
In El Paso, contact the following:
- Tenet Healthcare
- Barton Associates
- Conifer Health Solutions
- Sierra Providence East
- Sierra Providence Med Center
US Military Families: Fort Bliss In El Paso
Fort Bliss at El Paso is large enough to be a city all by itself. The organization offers a general information, announcements, and links page similar to those found in any major city of America. The Fort Bliss pages are extraordinarily full of activities, programs, and events. Civilian Job Openings are also listed.
A Recycling Program began on January 1, 2009 and the Fort Bliss pages present ongoing encouragement to Fort Bliss workers and residents to participate fully in recycling. Recycling cans are even provided beside employee's and military staffpersons' desks on base.
Child Abuse Prevention is a big program on base, with classes and support services along with a reporting scheme. Additionally, relationship-building classes and parenting training skills are available for couples in the military.
Of particularly important note is a long range study at Fort Bliss: Army Family Study of Effects of Multiple Deployments on Adolescents. many enrichment programs are offered to military youth and a Summer Youth Employment program is maintained yearly.
Largest Employers in El Paso
Companies That Employ the Most Workers
- El Paso Independent School District - Education
- US Army Fort Bliss - Government/Defense
- City of El Paso City -Government
- T & T Staff Management - Business
- Ysleta Independent School District - Education
- Uiversity of Texas, El Paso - Education
- Sorocco Independent School District - Education
Types of Companies Adding the Most Jobs
This list is dominated by Education, Business, Employment Services, Healthcare, and Food Services.
- Elementary & Secondary Schools, Public/Private
- Full-Service Restaurants
- Employment Services
- Home Health Care Services
- Local Government, City and County
- Limited-Service Dining
- Business Support Services
- All General Medical & Surgical Hospitals
- Offices of Physicians and Group Practices
- All Colleges, Universities, & Professional Schools
Top 10 High Demand Jobs
Bold entries reflect the largest employers above.
- Registered Nurses (RN license)
- Medical and Health Ttechnology Jobs
- Physical Therapists
- All Food & Beverage Prep and Service, except Waitstaff
- Retail Sales
- Mainstream Elementary School Teachers
- Truck Drivers - Heavy, Tractor-Trailer, similar
- Janitors/Cleaners, Except Housekeeping
Additional Fast Growing Jobs
- Home Health Aides - certified HHAs
- Executive Secretaries & Administrative Assistants
- Mainstream Middle School Teachers
- Mainstream Secondary School Teachers
- Child Care Workers
- Construction Workers, skilled and unskilled
- Nursing Aides, Orderlies, similar
- Teacher's Assistants K-12
Higher Education in El Paso County
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center at El Paso
Community Colleges and Vocational Schools
- Doña Ana Branch Community College
- El Paso Community College
- International Business College
- Western Technical College
Colleges and Universities
- University of Texas El Paso, known as UTEP
- Texas Tech Professional School of Architecture
Higher Education in El Paso is developing new jobs through cooperation with local businesses and government programs.
The following are emerging Texas industries that propel El Paso economy into a business boom:
- Life Sciences,
- Biotechnologies, and
- Health Informatics.
Texas - Mexico Border Towns
Jobs In Nearby Communities
- America's Cheapest Place to Live
Brownsville is not only the least expensive place to live in America, but it is also in the middle of popular Elvis Festivals and new job growth.
- Emerging High Demand Aerospace Jobs In Brownsville, ...
Artist rendering of SpaceX Dragon spacecraft docking at the International Space Station. Space Exploration Technologies, of SpaceX. is a privately held company that manufactures rockets and launches them into space in partnership with NASA....
© 2009 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
The definition of South Texas varies, including a number of different counties. However, four counties on the border offer ample employment opportunities.
Fast-growth jobs in the Greater Dallas Area abound in Information Technology (IT) as well as in Healthcare, the Aerospace Industry, Education, Audio-Visual Collections, and Bus Drivers. Green Industries also offer...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE243
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...