Attractions and Opportunities Near Kansas City In Lee's Summit, Missouri
Fresh Perspective in an Expanding City
Lee's Summit, Missouri is the fastest growing city in state, owing in large part to its Downtown Master Plan developed and implemented by the City fathers, Chamber of Commerce, a proactive economic development company, and a vital Downtown Association.
This is maintained through partnerships with local businesses, successful workforce professionals, and effective educational facilities. Therefore, the city has been named on the Top 100 Cities in America list.
In mid-January 2015, job openings had grown to over 47,000 positions advertised and the population rose over 90,000 individuals. By mid-February 2015, the number of advertised jobs had reached over 54,000 openings.
This Old House
This Old House Magazine ranked Lee’s Summit on their annual list of Best Old House Neighborhoods.
New Development in the City Awarded
All this new development was highlighted in 2010 by BusinessWeek,a Bloomberg publication. At least 50% of the city's downtown residents have migrated into Lee's Summit for work and education only in the preceding decade, resulting in the fast growth rate. In addition, the city is located just 20 miles southeast of Kansas City Missouri, with its additional business and attractions.
Most growing towns and cities in the US maintain and develop their downtown districts for historical preservation and registration of buildings in the US National Historic Register of Places, and to combine business and residential buildings into a town-within-a-town. In fact, This Old House Magazine ranked Lee’s Summit on their annual list of Best Old House Neighborhoods 2010.
Downtown business association member companies usually partner and collaborate in a series of ongoing yearly events that keep a heightened interest in their community that draws new residents, businesses, and travelers every year - with lots of repeat business.
College towns are also more successful than some other places in America, and are less impacted by economic downturns -- Colleges and universities help to create jobs, bring students and families to the city, and draw from grant funding sources in order to hire additional research and teaching faculty and to create those new jobs in partnership with business through internships, job shadowing; and practicum development.
The Lee's Summit economy is supported by Downtown Business as well as a Shopping Mall at Fair Center, Healthcare, Retail and Wholesale Sales (including Financial/Banking), and Restaurants/Food Service.
In the Spring of 2010, over 26,000 job listings were available in Lee's Summit and its neighbors of Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas; Independence Mo; and Lenexa and Overland Park Kansas.
Downtown Master Plan, Lee's Summit
Top Hiring Companies through 2020
- HCA Midwest Division - Number of jobs equal to IMB listings.
- HCA Healthcare
- Taco Bell and Pizza Hut - Full-time, part-time, crew, drivers, and management.
- University of Kansas Hospital - Well known teaching and healthcare facility.
- US Air Force and National Guard
- Critical Connection - Health and Medical
- Carondelet Health
- Medical Connections
- Brookdale Senior Living
- Adventist Health System - Renowned for healthcare, holistic health, and medical advances.
- Burns & McDdonnell
- HCR Manorcare
Top 10 High Demand Jobs: 54,000+ Jobs Advertised in Early 2015
- Truck Drivers - CDL
- Nurse Practitioners (NPs)
- Physical and Occupational Therapists
- Dentists and Dental Treatment Staff
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Manufacturing, Construction, and Aerospace-related Engineers
- Sales Representatives
- Automotive Technicians
- Store Managers and Assistant Managers - Small retail shops, coffee shops, convenience stores, fast food places, diners, specialty services, others.
- Account Executives - Sales, Financial Services, Insurance, Banking and Investments
Many of the Top 10 Jobs are involved in
- Sales/Financial Services, and
- Food Service and Restaurants.
Map Location: Kansas City Suburbs
Additional Location Around Lee's Summit
- Best US Cities: Top 10 Hot Jobs in Expanding Missouri Suburbs
Missouri suburbs rank high on the list of 100 Best Places to Live in America. They have jobs, attractions, good schools, affordable housing, and much opportunity along America's National Road.
- Vacation on Missouri's Route 66: St. Louis to Springfield
Route 66 through Missouri is one of the most enjoyable vacation routes in America. The restoration of much of the route makes visiting easy and fun.
Largest Employers in Lee's Summit Market Area
- A T & T - Telecommunications
- American Food Service Wholesale Groceries
- Caremark, Inc. - Pharmaceutical Customer Service
- City of Lee's Summit - Government
- Diodes - FabTech, Inc. - Electronic Component Mfg.
- Government Employees Health Association - Insurance
- HyVee East and West Grocery Stores
- US Immigration and Naturalization Services - Federal
- John Knox Village Retirement Community
- Lee's Summit Medical Center
- Lee's Summit Schools – District R-7
- Magic Touch Cleaners
- Metropolitan Community College
- US National Records Center - Federal
- Plastic Enterprises Co., Inc.- Plastic Container Mfg
- Polytainers, Inc. - Plastic Container Mfg
- R & D Tool & Engineering
- Saint Luke's East - Health
- Toys R' Us - Toy Distribution
- Truman Medical Center Lakewood
- Unity Village – Religious Organization
Holiday FlashMob at Summit Fair Life Style Mall
Summit Fair Mall is Open
RED Development completed construction and opened Summit Fair Mall. Summit Fair is advertised as an outdoor (open-air) lifestyle shopping center and is found southeast of the junction of highways I-470 and US 50 at a major highway interchange in Lee's Summit. Merchants in the mall include a wide range of middle and upscale retailers and other signed tenants. A few are:
- JC Penny's
- Jake's Summit
- Sajura Sushi
- McAlister’s Deli
- Jos. A Bank - Upscale gentlemen's clothing retailer, expanding and usually hiring across the nation.
- Complete Nutrition - Upscale, nutritional supplement store.
- Finish Line - Popular athletic footwear.
- Coldwater Creek
- American Eagle Outfitters
- Victoria’s Secret
Controversy - $9 Million Project Loan
Midwest Genealogy Center in Independence, Missouri
Well-Liked Visitors' Attractions
Lee's Summit is northwest of the James A. Reed Memorial Wildlife Area public park and recreation site. A municipal airport and Unity Village are in the north part of the city and a number of lakes surround the city for outdoor recreation and camping opportunities.
Robert Ewing "Bob" Younger
- Besides Summit Fair Mall, several other shopping centers offer a variety of shops and service outlets, along with downtown shopping.
- Health Fairs - The community sponsors a number of health fairs during each year to help residents and visitors to remember to attend to checkups and overall health.
- Historic Train Depot - Downtown
- Kansas City Zoo is a short drive to the northwest.
- Lake Jacomo - Missouri Town 1855 - Living History reenactments of pre-Civil war life.
- Lee's Summit Historical Museum - Located Downtown.
- Powell Gardens operates specialized tours on a number of horticultural topics. A Grand Winter Feast the middle weekend in January. The gardens feature native plants and crop plants of the Midwest, along with many special features.
- Unity Village - Free history related tours of the property and buildings. Includes hotel, book shop, and coffee shop.
- Younger Brothers Outlaw historic sites, including tombstones.
Colleges and Universities
- Baker University
- DeVry University
- Kansas City Art Institute at www.kcai.edu
- Metropolitan Community College
- Nazarene Theological Seminary
- Rockhurst University
- Summit Technology Academy - Career Academy at www.leesummit.k12.mo.us
- University of Central Missouri at Warrensburg, Missouri
- University of Missouri - Kansas City
More by this Author
Indiana has nearly 131,000 job openings in a wide range of occupations, many of them highly paid. General Motors is one of the Top 20 Employers, hiring in manufacturing. Healthcare and Retail are big.
The largest growing occupation in Chicago was Choreographer, replaced by Healthcare, Information Technology (IT), Forensics and Trades. Aerospace is catching up quickly.
For a job interview, are you prepared to answer every crazy, impossible question without exposing your flaws? Prepare for your interview by reading these right answers to those very wrong questions.