Sustainability and Green Business in Fort Worth, Texas
Big Jobs in Texas Keep Increasing
Fort Worth, Texas has been recognized ever since 2008 by Forbes.com and other publications as among the Top 10 Best Cities for Jobs in America.
The city supports several major employers, including Fortune 500 firms, and is the 5th largest city in the State of Texas. As part of the Greater Dallas - Fort-Worth - Arlington Metroplex, Fort Worth is the 17th largest city in America with a population of over 700,000 during Census2010.
During the Great Recession of 2008-2010, the unemployment rate here remained under that of the nation and in February 2009, remained over 2 points lower than the national rate, This indicated job openings continuing to increase as the population increased, validated by the graphics from major job search aggregators presented below.
The city was founded before the Civil War, in 1849, as a US Army outpost overlooking the nearby Trinity River.Many National Historic Sites are located here. Today, Fort Worth is home to a huge federal contractor specializing in Information Security and Information Warfare.
Forth Worth Sustainability is Increasing Overall
Green Progress in Fort Worth
- Sustainabillity: City of Fort Worth
As one of the nation's fastest growing large cities, Fort Worth faces the challenge of providing adequate infrastructure and resources for that growing population — all while maintaining or improving quality of life for current and future residents.
- Starfield Group Fort Worth-Alternative Energy -- Information and products and services to both reduce the energy consumption of your home or business, improve its comfort and generate alternative energy in earth friendly ways that reduce oil consumption and provide energy security. 5000 Denton Highway # 261; Fort Worth, TX 76117
US Army Town Becomes a Big City
In 19th Century Northern Texas, the the US Army protected the settlers around what became fort Worth against Mexican armies, while the majority of Native Americans moved out, away from the fray in the mid 1830s.
The US and Texas won the Mexican-American War in 1848. By the mid 1870s, the railroads had come through and Fort Worth became a commercial and livestock shipping city. Saloons and gambling emerged as entertainment venues.
In 1900, the town picked up a population that made the city 12% African American and changes came about. Blacks lived in the southern part of the city, found jobs and bought homes, but some worked in the saloons. This area of town, the saloon and dance hall district, had been named Hell's Half Acre and entertained the numerous cowhands and cattle drive bosses coming through on the Chisholm Trail.
The district houses of vice were all closed in the early 1900s, but the city itself picked up drifters and prostitutes in the Near South Side. That area today is a focus of continuing revitalization plans and major accomplishments in the 2000s (see New Businesses and Expansions, below).
Fort Worth Area
Top Five Best Cities
During March 2014 the organization called WalletHub found that Fort Worth, Arlington, and Dallas Texas are all in the American Top Five Best Cities to Find a Job.
Increases Pre- and Post-Stimulus Funding
Indeed.Com is the major American Internet job board that includes the features of an application for tracking industry and job growth trends defined by number of openings listed on the board. For a radius of 25 miles around the center of Fort Worth, Medical and Healthcare Industry jobs are on a steeper increasing curve than jobs in general, with Information Technology jobs increasing at near the same pace.
Manufacturing (livestock and meat processing being major, along with aerospace manufacturing a targeted growth sector) has fluctuated over the same time span, but began increasing more strongly from July 2008 - Feb. 2009. Education has experienced the steepest increases in job listings.
Life Sciences and Logistics/Transportation are also targeted industries under advanced development in Fort Worth and Tarrant County.
Texas has received $34,700,000 for Adult Employment and Training, along with $82,000,000 for youth jobs up top age 24. The Fort Worth will be benefiting from a large portion of those funds. Laid off and otherwise dislocated workers are seeing $58 Million coming into the state for them. Older Workers are benefiting from $1.2 Million. Plus, $219,000,000 is allocated for child care.
Thirteen(13) major projects under the Stimulus Package in Fort Worth created additional new jobs through 2014.
Jobs Increase And Remain Steady
Numbers of jobs listed in Fort Worth increased significantly during the latter part of 2009 and have held steady from 2012 - 2015. A decline in 2015 was followed by a 23% increase from January - June 2016.
Top 10 Largest Fort Worth Employers
- Alcon Manufacturing - Eye care products. Largest company in the State of Texas.
- GameStop - Video games and related products.
- Lockheed Martin - Aerospace manufacturing.
- Revomatics - US government defense contractor for Information Security and Information Warfare. Parent of Revomatica Innovations Lab.
- American Airlines Inc./Americ an Eagle/AMR (including Teleservice Resources) - Airline and Travel; Agency; telemarketing. Fortune 500 Company.
- Texas Health Resources.
- Fort Worth Independent School District
- DR Horton - Homebuilder. Fortune 500.
- Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corporation - Railroads. Fortune 500.
- Ben E. Keith Co. - 9th largest food and beverage distributor in the USA.
New Business Expansion
New Businesses & Expansions Under the Obama Administration
- Z’s Café in the Fort Worth Community Arts Center
- Spencer’s Corner sports bar
- Capital Bar and Norwood Condos - Clay Mazur
- Southwest to Northeast Rail
- ALDI (4 stores) - discount grocery stores from Germany.
- El Rio Grande Supermercado - 45,000+ sq. ft. expansion.
- Dixe House Cafe
- Casa Villa Apartments - new owners and financing.
- BAP Image Systems - From Germany: High Speed cameras and scanners.
- Lee and Associates Real Estate
- Public Communications Services Inc.- R&D and Manufacturing.
- Point Mobl - Upscale Radio Shack store.
- Ben E. Keith Beverage Distributors (major employer listed above) - first hybrid electric-diesel engine tractor (green technology in truck operation).
- Fort Worth South Inc (see introductory section)- $1,400,000,000 is the yearly income provided by the South Side in the 2000s. Crime has decreased by 80%.
Largest Engineering Firms Hiring Now
- Lockheed Martin - Part of the NASA Commercial Crew
- Avacend, Inc.
- Frontier Communications
- Wolters Kluwer
Top 10 Fastest-Growing Jobs
- Personal and Home Health Aides
- Special Education Teachers (Pre-K, Kindergarten, and Elementary)
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
- Mainstream Kindergarten Teachers
- Mainstream Elementary School Teachers
- Instructional Coordinators
- Mainstream Middle School Teachers
- Dental Hygienists
- Medical Assistants
- Pharmacy Technicians
Top 10 Hot Jobs In Fort Worth
- CDL Licensed Truck Drivers
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Hotel Jobs
- Retail Salespersons
- Hospital Support Staff
- IT Engineers - Particularly at Lockheed Martin, part of the NASA Commercial Crew
- Store Managers
- Assistant Managers
- Waitstaff - Waiters and Waitresses
USAF Jobs In Fort Worth
- NAS JRB Fort Worth
NAS Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base, under the oversight of the Commander Naval Air Reserve Forces, now hosts a variety of fighter/attack and airlift units from the reserve components of Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force.
- 10th Air Force - Home
Tenth Air Force is headquartered at the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, Texas. Tenth Air Force is one of three numbered air forces in Air Force Reserve Command, and is responsible for command supervision of fighter, bomber, special..
- 301st Fighter Wing - Home
Fort Worth of Yesteryear
Colleges and Universities
- College of Saint Thomas More
- Remington College - Fort Worth
- Tarrant County College - 4 campuses in the metro area.
- Texas Christian University
- Texas Wesleyan University
- Texas Women's University
- University of North Texas
- University of Texas at Arlington & Fort Worth
© 2009 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Who's hiring? Economic recovery in jobs became more visible in October, 2012 and even more substantial in 2014. Learn what jobs are in highest demand for now and in the future.
Useful Employment and Industry Market Forecasts for the United States and United Kingdom.
After writing resumes, cover letters, and job applications, candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. Here's what to avoid saying during the interview.