Johnny Depp's Birthplace - Owensboro KY
Growth and Arts Along the Ohio River
With a population of over 56,000 according to the US Census Owensboro, Kentucky is a town that sits across the Ohio River from Cincinnati OH in the proximity of Evansville IN.
Louisville KY on the Beautiful Ohio (also translated from local Indigenous dialects as "Big River") lies between Cincinnati and Owensboro/Evansville. All three metro areas have produced a number of celebrities, not the least of these in the versatile Johnny Depp, whose birthplace is Owensboro.
Johnny Depp of Owesboro was named America's Favorite Actor in a recent Harris Poll. See links below for dozens of other awards and nominations.
Johnny Depp Projects
- Marriage Engagement with Medieval Touches
Johnny Depp and Amber Heard threw an engagement party Friday night at an awesome, out-of-the-way venue ... that had Medieval touches.It was miles away…
- Johnny Depp Stars in Techno Thriller 'Transcendence'
Johnny Depp is on a quest for knowledge and power in the upcoming thriller, 'Transcendence,' which opens in April.... US and China on the same day...
- Numerous Awards and Nominations
Johnny Depp on IMDb: Awards, nominations, and wins
The entire state of Kentucky is rightfully proud of their current celebrity's accomplishments in the theater arts. He has taken character acting to star status as no one else has done since Lon Chaney, The Man of 1,000 Faces and father of The Werewolf's Lon Chaney Jr. Chaney's Phantom of the Opera is still hideously good after nearly 100 years, but Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow and Mad Hatter will never be forgotten. It is also certain that Johnny Depp could follow William Shatner's example of acting vigorously into his 80s.
In January 2001, Johnny Depp was nominated as twice out of the five actors in the Best Actor category of the Golden Globes, for Alice in Wonderland and The Tourist.
I reviewed Rango, starring Johnny Depp as the lost chameleon, before it's March 2011 and recommend this film to both adults and children. A Western starring desert animals, it presents vital adult concerns and fun for the kids all at once. People of all ages in the screening audience showed up in Hawaiian shirts, cowboy hats, and leather boots. The film we viewed was a work of intense art, simultaneously poking fun at and paying homage to film making.
STARRING: Heath Ledger, Christopher Plummer, Johnny Depp, Jude Law, Colin Farrell. Directored by Terry Gilliam.
Format: AC-3, Closed-captioned, Color, Dolby, Dubbed, DVD, Subtitled, Widescreen, NTSC.
Owensboro supports the International Bluegrass Music Museum and its first recorded album at the museum went on sale in mid-January 2011.
Bluegrass music is connected with "old timey" fiddle music and clogging from European countries, notably Ireland and Scotland, but also Wales and England; but the Cherokee Nation clogged before our European friends first landed on the Atlantic Coast. Since first contact, each additional ethnic group has devised and added its own dancing patterns and shoes to clogging.
Today, official Bluegrass associations are supported in Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, France, and Hungary as well as Australia, New Zealand and many others - even Lithuania.
The links below provide several more associations, along with Bluegrass radio stations.
Related Kentucky Music Sites
- Bluegrass Music and History | International Bluegrass Music Museum
The International Bluegrass Music Museum is the world's only facility dedicated to the history and preservation of the international history of bluegrass music.
- C.L.O.G. - Clog.org - Home of National Clogging Organization
In 2009, Owensboro began rebuilding its downtown waterfront. A huge sports arena is to open in 2013, new hotels and a grand promenade will lead to a waterfront park opening later in 2011. In addition, 20 acres of Grand Lawn among businesses, hotels, and restaurants provide recreation and relaxation opportunities. Additional multimillion-dollar projects are scheduled for the Ohio River Waterfront as well at Owensboro. Many of the dozens of festivals in the city will enjoy these venues.
Festivals in Owensboro number in the dozens all around the year. In 2011, the 100th Centennial of Bluegrass mjusic star Bill Monroe takes place in and around the International Bluegrass Music Museum in Owensboro.
Several festivals involve the local music genres, but also famous stars like Leon Redbone and Steve Martin, Bluegrass combined with award-winning bar-b-que, Gospel groups, multicultural music, and many additional music gatherings.
Additional Local Attractions
- Big O Music Fest - Owensboro's Only Outdoor Concert
Big O Music Festival - The Party Event Of The Summer!
- Bill Monroe 100th Birthday Celebration: Home
Bill Monroe 100th Birthday Celebration. A century after his birth in Rosine, KY., the music genre created by Bill Monroe, the Father of Bluegrass Music, is now established globally and enjoyed by tens of millions who will celebrate The Bill Monroe Ce
- CMDK Distillery Home Page
- Diamond Lake Resort
- Friday After 5
- Hall of Fame :: Owensboro-Daviess County
- International Bar-B-Q Festival: Owensboro, Kentucky -- Every second weekend in May, Owensboro, Kentucky springs to life with the wonderful smells and sounds of the International Bar-B-Q Festival. Smoke from hickory-stoked fires blends with the aromas of sizzling chicken, bubbling burgoo and roasting mutt
- Monsters on the Ohio -- Home of the First Annual Monsters on the Ohio Catfish Tournament Christmas Parade Association
- Owensboro Museum of Science & History
- Patriot Days is among the Top 20 Celebrations and Attractions in Owensboro named by SurfKy.net and the County Visitors and Convention Bureau. It is an annual celebration of the founding principles that made the United States unique. Their goal is to place pocket editions of the US Constitution into the hands of every child in Davies County. The festival is also a living history event that presents the events of the American Colonies from the America Revolutionary War to Kentucky’s Statehood in 1792. The events are celebrated during the second or third week of September annually
Cities Along the Ohio River
The 900-mile long Ohio River was named by my ancestors, the Iroquois Confederacy, with the word from one of their nations: O-Y-O (three syllables), whose meaning is the big or great river. A French explorer named Rene Robert Cavelier Sieur de La Salle saw the river first in 1669 and called it la belle riviere. Later, an America wrote Ohio's State Song after the French name in order to produce the number Beautiful Ohio. This is why much of the general public thinks that the "Indian" name for the river is Beautiful River. 12,000 - 10,000 years ago, we called it Big River. It was big and so were the fish in it - at least as long as a tall man's arm, every one of them.
This means that my state in an Iroquois language is "Big River."
Employment and Industry Trends
March 2013 showed 2,800 jobs listed, above the approximately 1,600 open jobs listed In January 2011 for the Owensboro area that includes Evansville IN, Newburgh IN and Rockport IN. Located in Western Kentucky, Owensboro is quite close to neighboring Indiana and several of its southeastern cities, with Ohio cities a little more distant.
These top high demand jobs are involved in Healthcare, Dining, and Information Technology industry sectors. In fact, nursing positions are in high demand at all levels from Aide to Nursing Supervisor and make for an effective line of career advancement. Given that area hospitals may offer tuition reimbursement and time off the job to attend classes, this is a golden opportunity for a new career or a change in career. For the unemployed affected by the Recession of 2008 - 2010, this is an opportunity for On the Job Training with built-in education and advancement opportunities.
Job Listings in this geographic area increased from January 2006 through April 2009. From May 2009 - December 2010, job listing numbers fluctuated someqhat, but remained consistent overall during that later 18 months. Job openings in January 2011 offer substantial career advancement potentials.
Jobs Increased Significantly
Top 10 Hot Jobs
- General Practice Dentists
- Dental Assistants
- Registered Nurses (RNs) - General and Specialties
- Nursing Aides and Similar
- LPN & LVN jobs - Licensed Practical and Vocational Nurses
- Pizza Hut Staff: Team and Shift Managers
- Mortgage Loan Officers
- Pizza Hut Managers and Assistant Managers
- Restaurant Managers
- Senior Programmer/Analysts - IT
Additional Local High Demand Jobs
- Van and Light Truck Delivery Drivers
- Event Specialists
- Owner Operators - Trucking Industry, Short and Long Haul
- Application Analysts - IT
Top Hiring Companies
- Owensboro Medical Health System - Check the website for training and education opportunities.
- US Bank
- US Bancorp
- PizzaHut - Restaurants
- Deaconess Healthcare
- Extendicare Health Services
- Golden Living - Retirement, Nursing Homes
- Staples - Office Supplies, Equipment, Furniture
- Kindred Healthcare
- Riverside Transport, Inc. - Trucking, freight
- Long John Silvers - Restaurants
- Advance Auto Parts, Inc.
- Home Instead Senior Care - Home Health Aides, Nurses
- AseraCare Hospice - Healthcare
Higher Education in Owensboro
The Ohio River - 900 Miles Long
Ohio River Landmarks
- Important Landmarks Along the Ohio River
OHIO is an interesting word, but it does not mean
- Low-Cost Living In Covington KY - Commute to Cincinnati
Beat the high cost of living by moving 3 miles away to Covington, Kentucky. The cost of living is lower and the commute is easy. Job listings for the combined cities more than doubled 2012 - 2013.
- Top 10 Best Jobs in Cincinnati, Ohio - The Queen City
Cincinnati suburbs are growing towards Dayton and Dayton suburbs are growing quickly towards Cincinnati. This creates a Corridor of government jobs, private businesses, and high paying occupations in a large metropolitan complex.
More by this Author
The Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers metropolitain areas covers Northwest Arkansas Southwest Missour. This tri-cities area is the major economic engine of the region and offers high-growth jobs in interesting occupations,...
Fast-growth jobs in the Greater Dallas Area abound in Information Technology (IT) as well as in Healthcare, the Aerospace Industry, Education, Audio-Visual Collections, and Bus Drivers. Green Industries also offer...
I have learned much from my Polish American friends about the important of Easter in their culture, friendships, families, and faith. Please enjoy the recipes and information.