Manchester NH, The Place of Many Fish
The name Manchester came from a town in England, but the place of this city originally wore a Native American name meaning place of many fish. This name represented the waters of the Merrimack River to the west of the current that has become a hub for Insurance, Education, and Healthcare services.
The financial and insurance sectors particularly are community-minded and invest in enhancing the Greater Manchester Area for all residents by investing funds and efforts into affordable housing, green collar jobs, and a increasing numbers of new jobs overall.
Manchester, New Hampshire
Amoskeag: The Place of Many Fish
Manchester Background and Development
Manchester is in Hillsborough County, incorporated in 1751 as a colonial town. The first European-American name found to date for this place was Tyng's Town, followed by Harrytown, followed by Derryfield, and finally ending with the name Manchester to remember the city of Manchester in England.
As Tyng's Town, the community's land had been awarded to the soldiers of Captain William Tyng. They all wore snow-shoes as they fought in the French and Indian War during 1703's severe northern winter. The land was a welcome reward for their efforts.
The town became Manchester at the suggestion of someone that wished to name it after Manchester, England and to build a canal similar to that in the British city. Roads to the Merrimack River were cut along Native American trails and the canal followed - useful transport around a waterfall in the river. Commerce and fishing were the large industries of the period and later, the waterfall was used to power local textile mills via water wheels.
In the 21st century, old buildings in the urban area of the city have been revitalized and have drawn new business to the region that have increased the numbers of higher paying jobs available to residents.
The largest city in the state, Manchester now supports 100,000+ residents and is still growing.
The Mall of New Hampshire
In southern Manchester, we find The Mall of New Hampshire, a large regional shopping and entertainment complex of nearly 100,000 square feet. Together with revitalizatioon of the downtown area through the efforts of the Intown Manchester organization, the retail and entertainment trade has significantly boosted the economy of the city and county.
The food court of the mall is huge, with 550 seats, in addition to at least a dozen restaurants and 125 speciality stores and chanor stors Macy's, Best Buy, and others. Several hotels are located nearby as well.
Permanent and seasonal jobs are available at the mall at www.simon.com under "Careers."
Additional Attractions Near Manchester
- Travel, Work and Films In the Monadnock Region of New Hampshire
Camping occurs all year long in Cheshire County near a popular mountain. Winter recreation is a priority here, along with fall foliage tours, farmers markets, music, the arts, festivals & history.
Largest Employers - Insurance and Other Services
The Job Growth Rate for Manchester County through 2014 is 25%, the largest over all other counties in New Hampshire. Growth is primarily in services type industries that include Registered Nurses (RNs), Food Preparation and Service, and Retail Sales. Hillsborough County shows the highest employment rate and growth in Finance and Insurance in the state. This in itself marks the area as a healthy economy.
- Elliott Hospital and Catholic Medical Center - Healthcare
- Citizens Bank and TD Banknorth - Financial
- Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of NH - Insurance
- Southern NH University - Education
- Verizon and PSNH - Utilities
- Osram Sylvania and Freudenberg NOK - Electronics
Beyond 2014, Financial and Insurance Products and Services and Healthcare are the Industries projected to outdistance the others by a significant margin in numbers of jobs created. A number of insurance and financial companies in the Manchester Area are available to give free quotes on auto insurance, health insurance, retirement and investment plans, and other options.
Top 10 Hot Jobs thru 2016
- Retail & Related Sales Positions - Includes Insurance and Finance
- Registered Nurses (RNs) - Includes Travel Nurses.
- Computer Software Applications Engineers
- Healthcare Support Staff -- Nursing Aides, Orderlies, and Attendants
- Engineers and Engineering Technicians - especially in Electronics & Environment
- Business Operations Specialists
- Janitors & Cleaners - excluding Housekeepers
- Teacher's Assistants
- All Food Prep & Service jobs - includes Wait Staff
- Customer Service Representatives
Additional High Demand Jobs Include:
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
- Database Administrators
- Medical Assistants, Dental Assistants & Hygienists
- Medical Records and Health Information Techs
- Community and Social Service jobs
- Social and Human Service Assistants
Education and Training Opportunities
- Franklin Pierce College
- Granite State College
- Hesser College
- Manchester Community College - 60 Bidwell St, Manchester, CT 06040. Phone:
- New Hampshire Institute of Art
- Notre Dame College
- Saint Anselm College
- Southern New Hampshire University
- Springfield College at Manchester
- University of New Hampshire at Manchester
- Manchester Freedom Women's Football
- Manchester Monarchs Hockey
- Manchester Silkworms Baseball
- Manchester Wolves Arena Football
- New England Revolution Soccer
- New Hampshire Fisher Cats Baseball
- Algonquin Indoor Tennis Center
- Deerhead Sportsman Club
- Londonderry Fish & Game Club
- New Hampshire Phantoms League Soccer
- New Hampshire International Speedway
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of NH
Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of NH is a subsidiary of WellPoint, which has partnered with X-Prizes to award outstanding achievement in Energy and Environment, Healthcare, Education, Global Business, Exploration, and other concerns.
The X-Prize was previous awarded to Paul Allen's and his partners' endeavors with Space Ship One for privatization of space flight. Thus, WellPoint is a major player in the world of business of all sorts.
See avaiable NH jobs with Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield at: JOBS at Blue Cross/Blue Shield.
Elliott Hospital in Manchester maintains an ongoing recruitment program for RN and LPN nurses and Unit Secretaries They offer an ongoing professional development program, online learning, a career advancement program, consultation and mentoring, a rotating schedule program to include a variety of hospital care units, and other features. Pay incentives are generous.
Employment opportunities at this hospital - the largest employer in the county - are numerous and listed at JOBS AT ELLIOTT.
NeighborWorks® Greater Manchester
Citizens Bank - Paid Community Service
This major employer donated a sizeable fund to NeighborWorks® Greater Manchester in order to provide additional affordable housing in the city of Manchester in January 2008.
Neighborworks® was, in turn, named by Citizens Bank as its First QTR 2008 Champion in Action.
Citizens Bank in NH is visibly and proactively community minded, offering its employees a chance to do useful community service with a Three Months Paid Sabbatical.
Jobs in the greater Manchester Area are listed at: Citizens Jobs.
Snapshot: Manchester Hot Jobs
Highest Demand Jobs during Spring 2014:
- Truck Drivers - CDL licensing required
- Physical Therapists
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Licensed Bankers
- Retail Managers and Manager Trainees in sales and other fields
- Occupational Therapists
- Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs)
- Project Engineers
- Nurse Practitioners (NPs)
- Senior Software Engineers
- Software Quality Assurance Engineers
- Telecommuting Jobs
- Quality Engineers - Manufacturing
More by this Author
When looking at vacation and job choice, Colonie provides both. The safety factor of the city can be important and this suburb of Albany ranks high in low crime rate and good emergency services.
Washington DC is a hub for data collection, especially for international commerce, government, federal and world economies, health ...
I have learned much from my Polish American friends about the important of Easter in their culture, friendships, families, and faith. Please enjoy the recipes and information.