Best Jobs in Odessa, Texas - Rawhide, Oil, and Healthcare
The Permian Basin
Odessa is mid-way between the metro areas of El Paso and Fort Worth, Texas. This particular region is the very center of the famous Permian Basin, a geological range that is considered a classic world-class sedimentary and petroleum basin. The basin covers a range of 250 by 300 miles at it's widest points and over 60,000 square miles. Odessa and Midland, Texas are Oil & Gas leaders in the basin.
Students and scientists from the University of Texas at Odessa, from around Texas, and from around the world come to The Permian Basin to study its geological structures and history as well as paleontology and related sciences. As the ancient Permian Sea dried up, it left behind its sea life - plants and animals - that creates large expanses of the oil we use today, discovered about 1926 during the Roaring Twenties. The roar in the Permian Basin was made by oil and gas machinery.
In the 21st Century, Big Oil & Gas are joined by Healthcare as major industries contributing to the local economy. Retail Trade is also valuable, since companies like Family Dollar Stores built headquaters in Odessa (2003).
Between El Paso and Fort Worth
Comanche Nation Gave Way to Cattle
The Comanche Nation lived in the Permian Basin for many years until American railroads began to come through in 1881. In fact, the Texas and Pacific Railway built across the Odessa area because of the water resources needed for its steam engines.
In the late 1870s - early 1880s, land around Odessa was very inexpensive and settlers began to arrive. Ranching began in earnest in 1885 and the Texas and Pacific railroad assisted with transporting ranchers' cattle in place of the old "trail drives" featured in old TV shows like Rawhide with Clint Eastwood, 1959 - 1966. Today, some trail drives are still sponsored as a tourist experience, but are real drives taking cattle to market.
Even though the 3,000 head of cattle on Rawhide started out east of Odessa at San Antonio, the show gives a pretty fair picture of the trail drive of the Old West.
- A Hub Portal to Hot Jobs in Texas
Jobs continued to increase in Texas in most metro areas throughout the Recession of 2008 - 2010 and cinreased at higher rates after 2013.
- Continued Increases in Oil, Gas, and Sustainable Energy
Find out where the American jobs related to sustainable and renewable energy resources, petroleum and natural gas, and other forms of energy are likely to increase in the 2010s and 2020s.
- Midland Texas - Home of George W. Bush
The Midland market area is supported by Oil & Gas, Alternative Energy, and other businesses with growing numbers of jobs. It has been on many lists of the Best Places to Live in America.
- Top 10 Hot Jobs in Bryan-College Station, Texas
Bryan-College Station (B/CS) added 4,300 new jobs just in the month of September 2008 alone, not counting agriculture. Texas A & M University brings diversity and sustainability to energy and other industries in this region, while the Bush 41 Lib
Top 10 Job Listings - Actual Jobs Available
The following list make up the top job listings in Odessa Texas on Internet Search engines, company HR webpages, and websites of employment recruiters.
- Nurses – RNs, LPNs, LVNs - Healthcare. Can require anywhere from 1 year to 4-years of training beyind high school, and graduate school for MSNs and PhD Nurses.
- Truck Drivers
- Physical Therapists
- Assistant Managers
- Automotive Technicians
- Wireless Technician III
- Independent Sales Representatives
- Occupational Therapists
Several of the Top 10 Job Listings are in Healthcare. All five require advanced training and certifcation beyond high school. Some require professional school after the 4-year bachelors degree.
Further top job listings include:
- Retail Store Managers
- Team Members – Casual Dining
- Sales Representatives
Job Titles Expected to Add Most Jobs by 2016
- Personal and Home Care Aides
- Mainstream Elementary School Teachers
- Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
- Retail Salespersons
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Registered Nurses (RNs) - Appears in actual job listings May - September 2009.
- Customer Service Representatives
- Child Care Workers
- Truck Drivers, Heavy and Tractor-Trailer
- Office Clerks, General
- Waitstaff - Casual and Fine Dining
- Janitors/Cleaners, except Housekeepers
- Service Unit Operators, Oil, Gas, and Mining
- Mainstream Secondary School Teachers
- Mainstream Middle School Teachers
- Construction Laborers
- Executive Secretaries and Administrative Assistants
Forecast to Increase Most Quickly through 2016
- Personal and Home Care Aides
- Mainstream Elem. Teachers
- Mainstream Mid. Sch. Teachers
- Industrial Machinery Mechanics
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Derrick, Oil/Gas Rotary Drill jobs
- Oil & Gas Engineers
- Mainstream Pre-Sch Teachers
- Mainstream Secondary Teachers
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
Background: Stimulus Funds 2009 - 2012
Before the Stimulus Package of 2009 was compiled and distributed, Odessa was one out of only 9 of a total 311 metro areas with existing data that showed a yearly jobs gain in construction and related positions. In fact, Odessa was 3rd on the list with a 5% increase in such jobs before the ARRA Stimulus Package was available. Stimulus funds are expected to boost this continuing increase higher from 2009 - 2012. A new Forensic Center is a possibility in these ventures, creating construction and criminal science jobs.
The City of Odessa also received $3.9 Million to use for improving transporation. It is targeted to purchase 12 new city buses, support vehicles, support equipment, fare collection equipment, route signs, bus shelters, communications equipment; and to pay for preventive maintenance.
Higher Education in Odessa
- The University of Texas of the Permian Basin - Provides curricula for earth sciences degrees and occupations near the classic petroleum basin. Dozens of undergraduate majors include Envornmental Science, so important in the 21st Century; Leadership Studies, vital as well; and others. Ten graduate fields are also provided.
- American Commercial College
- Odessa College
- Southeastern Career Institute - in nearby Midland.
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center - Permian Basin Campus
Teaching Hospitals and Healthcare Services
Ronald McDonald Healthcare
- Ronald McDonald Mobile Care from Medical Center Hospital
Medical clinic on wheels, the Care Mobile brings medical care and health information into local neighborhoods with unmet healthcare needs for distric students, siblings and their minor children up to age 18. 31st unit in the nation, 3rd in Texas!
Theme From Rawhide, Blues Brothers Version
More by this Author
The number of jobs in this state increases ever year, even beyond seasonal employment in December.
Fast-growth jobs in the Greater Dallas Area abound in Information Technology (IT) as well as in Healthcare, the Aerospace Industry, Education, Audio-Visual Collections, and Bus Drivers. Green Industries also offer...
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...