Best Jobs in Wichita Kansas: Healthcare, Government, and Insurance
Aerospace Industries thru 2050
Forbes.com named Wichita as one of the Best Cities for Jobs in America as of the end of 2008. In 2009, Wichita is an All American Cites Finalist. In addition, this city is the Forbes Magazine Number One Place to Live the Good Life Cheaply.
According to data collected by the Greater Wichita Development Corporation, the world's largest aerospace company and largest private employer and contractor in the creater metro area, Boeing, also leads much of the American corporate sector in Health, Safety, and Wellness benefits.
Boeing continues to produce commercial airplanes, Integrated Defense Systems (IDSs) and space technology that comprises communications satellites, missiles, the International Space Station (ISS), and the Space Shuttle. As the old Space Shuttle Program is phased out, a new spacegoing vehicle is neccesary and may become part of Boeng's product and service lines as well. The Midwest, West, and South West are developing space travel intently, focusing on private space travel as well as government contracting that will present new employment opportunities through 2050.
Health and Medical Jobs and Insurance
The State of Kansas Department of Insurance reports the largest employee group insurers to include the following list. Interested employers or potential business owners in the Wichita area can contact any of these companies for free insurance quotes on group policy rates.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas
- Coventry Health Care of Kansas
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas City
- United Healthcare Insurance
- Preferred Health Systems
- Preferred Plus of Kansas
- Premier Health Inc. (Premier Blue)
- Blue Care (Good Health HMO, Inc.)
Boeing Co. Health Advocacy
The Leapfrog health and safety advocacy group recognized Boeing as a Healthcare Leader for its employees' compensation packages and consistent proactive Workers Compensation dealings to promote employee safety and health prevention/treatment efficacy.
Boeing has become a Leapfrog Regional Roll-Out Leader in two metro areas: 1) Puget Sound and 2) Wichita. Boeing's aim is to control health care costs and improve prevention/treatment quality overall in order to build and maintain a safe and productive workforce. The Boaing Company consistently cooperates with Midwest/West regional health care purchasers and various labor organizations for the good of its employees.
Visit Wichita, Boeing, and other major companies at:
Go WICHITA Convention and Visitors Bureau - Entertainment, Sports, Festivals, City Services Information, Relocation Recommendations, Economic Plans.
WICHITA WORKFORCE CENTER - Jobs & Training
Top Advancing Industries
In addition to the major contributors to the local economy, the following industries are expanding with an upsurge of new jobs openings.
- Transportation Equipment Manufacturing, including Aerospace and Avionics
- Ambulatory Health Care Services sector of Health and Medical
- Administrative/Support Services - Government and Private sectors.
- Food/Dining Services and Taverns
Stimulus Fund Aide 2009-2012
Even in the 2008-2008 Recession, The Unemployment Rate in Kansas was over 2% lower than the nation's in March 2009.
Kansas State Governor Kathleen Sebelius, so delivered a memorable minority response to the last State of the Union Address of President George W. Bush, has accepted in Stimulus funds for Kansas as follows:
- Health Care $507 Million
- Education $501 Millions
- Infrastructure $378 Million
- Energy $96 Million
- Employment $58 Million
- Other $213 Million
Wichita contributes nearly 30% of the total state economy and is likely to receive proportionate stimulus funding to provide further momentum.
Largest Employers in Greater Wichita - Aircraft, Defense, Health and Education
- Federal, State, County, and City Governments
- Boeing -Spirit AeroSystems Inc.
- Boeing Company - Boeing Integrated Defense Systems, Whichita
- Cessna Aircraft Co.: 12,000 - 15,000+ employees
- Raytheon Aircraft Co.
- Wichita Public School System
- Via Christi Health System
- Bombardier Aerospace Learjet
- Wichita State University
- Wesley Medical Center
The largest contributors to the economy of Wichita and Sedgewick County are Government, Aerospace/Astronautics and technologies, Healthcare, and Education.
Employment Trends: Increases in Job Listings through 2009sClick thumbnail to view full-size
Current Trending: Increases 2012 - 2014Click thumbnail to view full-size
Major Health & Medical Employers
- Wesley Medical Center
- Via Christi - The Saint Francis Campus
- Via Christi - The Saint Joseph Campus
- Galichia Heart Hospital
- Kansas Heart Hospital
Top 10 Hot Jobs
As an example, the great job listings and trends engine, Indeed.Com, on 04/13/2009 offered 4,400 jobs within 25 miles of Wichita. As one of the Forbes.com Best Cities for Jobs, Wichita's trend of increasing job listings on Indeed will continue, especially woth the boot in Employent and Training dollars received from the 2009 Stimulus Package. The fastest-growing jobs include:
- Avionics Technicians
- Computer Software Apps Engrs
- Medical Assistants
- Mechanical Engineers
- Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators
- Financial Analysts
- Business Operations Specialists
- Personal and Home Health Aides
- Dental Assistants
- Compliance Officers, Other
Additional Top Jobs
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Retail Sales
- Customer Service
- Food Preparation and Service
- Janitors/Cleaners, Except Maids
- Nurse's Aides, Orderlies, etc.
- Teaching Assistants
- First-Line Supervisors/Mgrs for Maufacturing
Colleges and Unversities & Adult Retraining
College towns continue to enjoy a higher level of economic health during a recession, because the students and college level athletics stimulate buying. In addition this this, the institutions of higher learning in Wichita partner with local businesses and government to provide an increasing number of internships, work experiences and related job-related experience that can turn into full-time gainful employment.
- Baker University - Founded 1858 by pioneers of the Methodist Church. A private liberal arts university for traditional and non-traditional students. Alumni include a Pulitzer Prize Winner and 4 Rhodes Scholars. Top notch schools of Education and Nursing (specific Partnership with Stormont Vail HealthCare).
- Bethel College - Founded in 1887 by the Mennonite Church USA. The sole Kansas private college ranked in the Forbes.com America’s Best Colleges in 2008.
- Butler County Community College
- Cowley County Community College
- Friends University - Founded by the Quaker community to offer a variety of practical programs.
- Hesston College
- Hutchinson Community College
- Newman University
- Southwestern College of Professional Studies- Credit given for past professional and military experience. Flexible non-traditional programs. Current high-demand programs include Cyber Crime Investigation, Nursing through BSN, Computer Specialties, and even the MA in Specialized Ministries.
- Tabor College - Founded in 1908 by Mennonite Brethren and Krimmer Mennonite Brethren.
- University of Kansas School of Medicine, Wichita
- Vatterott College
- Webster University at McConnell Air Force Base
- Wichita Area Technical College
- Wichita State University - Founded 1895. A variety of programs, including Engineering in Sustainable Energy. Offers 5 largest yearly undergrad scholarships in Kansas: $44,000-48,000.
- Wichita Technical Institute
Wichita Kansas and History
Historic Photo Galleries
- Historic Preservation Alliance
A foundation for the preservation of Wichita historic sites. 100s of unique photos.
Mid-America All Indian Center In Wichita
- Keeper of the Plains
Finalist, 8 Wonders of Kansas Art.
- Mid-America All Indian Center
The Mid-America All-Indian Center is a multi purpose facility: a museum, a Gallery of Nations for special events, and a gift shop. A cultural center and museum dedicated to educating people for preserving heritage. Grand Re-Opening April 15 '09.
- Native American Nations of the Western United States
Native Americans and Indigenous Peoples developed different cultures from Alaska and Hawaii inward through the western United States...
- Native Americans in Western Novels
I did not discover the part of my heritage that is Native American until the mid-1990s. There had been some vague references during my early childhood to one of my...
More by this Author
Sioux Falls SD has landed in any of the Number 1-5 slots on the list of Top 25 Best Small Cities for Jobs and Business in America for several years. It is a fast-growing community that offers a huge number of jobs in...
Traditionally a lower job-producing economic center than other parts of the state, Southeastern Ohio has kicked job creation into high gear after 2012. The years 2014 - 2015 are also positive.
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...