Michigan Jobs Without A College Degree Are Increasing
Michigan Job Growth 2009 - 2016
Does the official 2004 - 2014 state forecast for fastest growing jobs in Michigan match the jobs offered in job listings across the state? Further, how will the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) funding to Michigan impact the forecast and the job listings? Both answers are positive.
This article looks at online job listings for fast-growth jobs actually around Michigan that do not require certified education beyond the High School Diploma or GED Certificate.
Funds are available for qualifying dislocated and underemployed workers to use for job training through WIA and from 2009 - 2011 via ARRA; however, some people need work more quickly.
Indeed.Com lists over 48,000 job openings in the State of Michigan for May 2009 and 61,900+ openings in August 2013. For August, SimplyHired showed nearly 70,000 job listings.
This article will look at this pool of employment and others to determine which positions do not require a college degree and which of these are increasing at a more rapid rate than others in that category. However, job openings in September 2012 on Indeed and SimplyHired totaled over 128,000 openings. This is nearly a 270% increase in job openings listed.
Some Jobs Require No College Degree
- Top 15 Recession Proof Jobs for (College and) High School Graduates
Some jobs seem recession-proof and continue to be in high demand.
- Top New Jobs In America Without Experience
Jobs Increasing 2015 - 2016
Number of jobs advertised in the State of Michigan peaked high throughout 2014 and once again began an increase in number from 2015 - 2016.
Dramatic Increases Janunary 2010 - August 2013Click thumbnail to view full-size
Numbers of jobs held steady from 2014 - 2016
How To Read A Trends Graph
Despite ups and downs, the general direction of the curve of percentage increase in job listings in Michigan is to the upper right, which indicates an increase through the end of February 2009.
The range of percentage change is [ -11% to +34%], and or a total of 45% increase from May '06 - end Feb. '09.
A more dramatic upswing in the graph after January 2010 shows a much larger increase in jobs listed across all Internet sources in USA. Another increase began in 2015.
Note the trends:
In the Year 2009: 48,000 Jobs
The number of jobs out of the 48,000+ openings that requires a High School Diploma (HSD)or GED and no advanced education is only 644. This is a very low percentage and is not particularly encouraging.
However, the change in these HSD/GED job postings fluctuated widely May '05 - end Feb. 09 and began to increase in Feb. '09. The principal locations of these jobs are the following four cities and greater metro areas:
- Ann Arbor
- Grand Rapids
In late 2012: Over 128,000 Job Openings are listed.
- HS Diploma/GED only required by 13,000 jobs, up 2002% since 2009.
- Bachelor's Degrees required by 13,200 jobs.
- Master's Degrees required by 4,900 jobs.
- Doctorate Degrees required by 1,800 jobs.
These jobs are located largely in the same cities as in 2009, but in a different order:
- Grand Rapids
- Ann Arbor
In the year 2016: Still around 120,000 jobs advertised.
Areas needing most new employees:
- Grand rapids
- Ann Arbor
High Demand Job Listings
- Engineers - over 40,000 openings
- Truck Driver - CDL; Owner-Operated or Company Employees
- Registered Nurses
- Physical Therapists
- General Laborers
- Restaurant Managers and Assistant Managers
- Cashiers and CSRs
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Press Operators
- Store Managers
- Project Managers in IT/Computer Systems and Software
- Casual Dining Crew
- Market Managers
Jobs Listings in Leading Cities In Michigan
Real jobs that require a High School Diploma or GED. Five out of 10 position titles require no education at all beyond high school, only On the Job Training.
- Traning & Development Specialist - Safety practices; requires a short-term training certificate.
- Production Assembly
- Medical Transciptionist - Typing skills required, experience preferred.
- Hair Stylists at the MGM Grand Detriot - Requires a cosmetologist license ( ~9 months).
- Sales People
- Customer Serices Reps
- Certified Nursing Assistants - Short Term Training Certificate.
- Licensed Practice Nurses - Short Term Training Certificate.
- General Machine Operator - only 1 opening.
Listings Among Four Principal Locations:
Detroit, Ann Arbor, Grand Rapids, and Lansing
- Sales Associate
- Medical Transcriptionist - Medical terminoology and typing skills needed.
- Valvoline Oil Change Techs - On the Job Training.
- Production Assembly
- Mortgage Assistants
- Patient Care Techs - Short Term Training Certificate as EMT or CNA.
- Medical Billers - Typing 35 wpm, some experience needed.
- Assistant Managers - Casual dining restaurants; should have some culinary knowledge. $40,000 - $45,000.
- Phlebotomist-- $10.70 To 16.08 Per Hour - requires 2 yrs experience (OJT).
Six out of 10 of these positions require HS or GED only. Check Indeed.Com daily for changes in listings and additional job search engines for additional employers and jobs.
I-96 Corridor In Michigan
Employers in the Principal Cities listing Highest Numbers of Jobs
- Kelly Services - Temp to Permanent placement.
- Guaranty Bank
- "Unlisted Company" - In checking, I found these to be Other Job Boards
- Manpower - Temp to Permanent
- National City
- TCF Bank
- Lutheran Social Services
- Gecko Hospitality - Restaurants, casual dining.
- Baxter Healthcare
- Erickson Retirement Communities
It might be advantageous to check with these employers first for job listings online, via telephone hotlines, and in person.
Michigan Career Outlook Through 2016
This is a list of fastest increasing jobs from the ofiicial brochure's forecast for Michigan that do not require beyond High School Diploma/GED. They require only moderate to long-term On the Job Training. This is came out of analyses completed before the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 was in existence.
From 2009 - 2011, a faster growth should be experienced in new jobs created in these occupational titles, based on new funding received throughout Michigan for Employment & Training programs in all counties.
- Customer Service Reps - Median Wage $15.53/hr
- Truck Drivers $18.43
- Sales Reps, Whlsl/Mfg $29.12
- Medical Assistants $12.89
- Maintenance/Repair $18.08
- Carpenters $20.12
- Restaurant Cooks $9.87
- Dental Assistants $15.51
- Exec Secretaries, Admin Assts $19.12
- Police, Sheriff’s Patrol $23.36
- Sales Reps, Whlsl/Mfg - Tech/Sci only $35.66
- Pharmacy Technicians $12.75
- Heating/AC/Refrig $22.19
- Social/Human Service Asst $13.90
- Electricians $26.76 - Apprenticeship training.
- Bookkeeping/Acct/Auditi Clerks $15.50
- Plumbers, Pipefitters, Steamfitters $25.20 - Apprenticeship.
- Musicians & Singers $22.59
- Painters, Construction, Maintenance $19.16
- Claims Adjusters/related $27.41
Comparison: Jobs With the Most Openings
The bold entries (17 jobs out of 20, or 80+%) do not require any education beyond On the Job Training. A symbol ♣ means that the job is also on the forecast list.
- Retail Salespersons ♣
- Waitstaff - Waiters & Waitresses - Full service dining.
- All Food Prep/Service Workers - except full serice waitstaff.
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Manual Laborers Freight/Stock/Material Movers
- Janitor/Cleaner - except Maids/Housekeepers
- Office Clerks
- Customer Service Reps ♣
- Stock Clerks and Order Fillers
- Sales Reps, Whlsl/Mfg ♣ - May or may not require a degree.
- Team Assemblers
- Truck Drivers ♣ - may require truck driving school and will require a CDL.
- Food Preparation Workers
- Receptionists, Information Clerks Child Care Workers
- Maintenance/Repair Jobs ♣
- Mainstream Elementary School Teachers
- Nursing Aides, Orderlies, related
- General Operations Managers - Some companies require some managers to hold the AA or 4-year BA/BS degree.
WIA Offers MichiganWorks!
Some groups of job listings do, in fact, match the official state employment projections. This should be encouraging.
Aside from the information presented in this article, you can use other avenues for job search. For help with being matched to available jobs in Michigan, visit the Michigan Careers site. Look for your local MichiganWorks! office on the site, post a resume online, or visit the office.
See MASCI at MASCI.org for Michigan Apprenticeship training. Age limits may apply.
Kelly Services may be a good option for residents in the Ann Arbor area of the state, while other temp to perm companies are located in many parts of Michigan. Kelly Services is located at 2100 S MAIN ST # C, Ann Arbor MI 48103-6432. PH 734-761-5700.
Visit Michigan Recovery and review listed projects thst do or will in the near future, provide additional jobs that require the HSD/GED or that have training and education attached to them.
Call your mayor's office or visit his or her website and look for news of the WIA/ARRA finding and new jobs creation.
© 2009 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
These job titles maintain the forefront of employment in the United States during the 2010s, spurred by Services, Aerospace, and IT developments.
It is good to have a high school diploma or GED certificate, but sometimes you need to work before earning wither. In a number of states, Home Health Aide Training is a matter of only a few weeks and tuition is...
After writing resumes, cover letters, and job applications, candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. Here's what to avoid saying during the interview.