Best High Demand Jobs in Seattle - Software, Aerospace and Services
Industry Growth Trends for Seattle
Seattle lies inside Puget Sound in the lush Pacific Northwest of North America. It is located in King County, Washington, below British Columbia with its First Nations reserves and popular tourist and wedding destinations on Vancouver Island. Seattle is also a primary component of the large Seattle-Bellevue-Everett Metropolitan Area.
The state labor agency reported that the Seattle metro area increased jobs by 9% from 2006 - 2007 after a downturn suffered in the 1990s. Jobs continued to be dveloped for the benefit of the local economy after 2007, but the Recession of 2008 - 2009 interfered with this somewhat. Inflation and cost of living increased along with jobs, but employment listings began to increase more quickly near mid-2009, doubling by June and tripling that number by June 2013.
Top 10 Seattle Growth Industries
- Software Publishers
- Aerospace Industry - Proven by increases in job listings 2006 - 2013.
- Chemical Manufacturing
- Professional, Scientific & Technical Services
- Health Promotion Education & General Education Services
- Private Education Services
- Healthcare and Social Assistance
- Tourism: Accommodations & Food Services; Leisure & Hospitality
- Arts, Entertainment, Recreation
- Federal, State and Local Governments, incuding Military
One emphasis in Seattle Business and Government is that of Sustainability, which impacts all industries in a spreading initiative. The city has become recognized globally for Sustainable Building.materials, techniques, and accomplishments. New construction, especially, is dedicated to energy and water efficiency, waste reduction, maximization of recycled material, healthy environments for employees, and environmentally aware planning.
Seattle supports a larger number of LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)- Certified professionals than any other US city.
The Sustainable Building Industry is another forecast to grow and contribute more heavily to the economy of the Greater Seattle Area and King County. In addition, Seatlle and King County have the largest number of Green Jobs (30% of the state total) in Washington.
Access to BC and Vancouver Island
An Important Port City
- Employing Immigrants - Office for Civil Rights
Employing Immigrants and How to Legally Work in Washington State as an Immigrant. Rights of immigrant workers,
- Seattle Jobs Initiative
Seattle Jobs Initiative helps low-income and all residents of Seattle seek & secure living-wage jobs. Education and Training resources available.
- WDC - Workforce Development Council of Seattle - King County
This organization provides leadership towards a dynamic, growing regional economy, including vital youth employment and training programs.
Elevate America Program - IT/Computer Training
- Microsoft Elevate America
Educaton, Trraining & Vouchers for IT/Computer jobs. Job Search feature included. Many Seattle IT jobs today are related to Bioinformatics and Bioengineering.
Seattle Washington Port
The Ferry Tacoma
Dramatic Job Increases 2011 - 2014
During late Ianuary 2011 to February 2012, the number of jobs actually paosted for Seattle anywhere online doubled over the number found in June of 2009. Jobs listings continued to increase through June 2013.
In fact, between June 2009 and June 2013 (3 years), the job listings tripled, reaching a total of 104,000 openings. Aerospace related jobs made up over 3,000 of those openings.
By June 2015, about 70,000 jobs were advertised via all Internet sources for this area. Major hiring companies include Gordon Trucking, truck driving being the Number One or Two job in high demand across most of the nation; Safeway grocery jobs; University of Washington Med Center, AFLAC insurance, Care.com, Amazon.com (increased warehouses and distribution centers in 2015), Nordstrom, Advantage Sales & Marketing, and Pizza Hut for management, crew, and driver positions,
Jobs Slump, 2011 -2014, reversed in 2015.
Job Listings Increasing the Most
Highest Demand Jobs include:
- CDL Truck Drivers
- Registered Nurses and Nursing Program Managers
- Aerospace-related jobs
- Software Development Engineers
- Medical Assistants
- IT Managers
- QA Engineers
- Research Scientists and Coordinators
- Patient Care Techs and CNAs
- Nordstroms Retail Sales/Commission
- Systems Engineers
- Automobile Technicians
- Amazon HQ/warehouses, etc. - Over 15,000 jobs nationwide
- University of Washington
- Providence Health
- Virginia Mason Medical Center
- Nordstroms - over 1,200 jobs
- US Air Force - Many Healthcare Industry jobs available.
- Swedish Health Services
- Boeing - Govt contractor and private aerospace company - Building for the Space Industry and Defense via NASA's Commercial Crew.
- Precision Castparts - Aerospace Mfg.
- Expedia - Travel and Tourism Industry
- Safeway - Retail groceries and other.
- Pizza Hut - Management, Crew, and Drivers.
Top 10 Hot Jobs Expected By 2018
The federal and state labor departments predict that the jobs in highest demand in the Greater Seattle Area through 2016 include Information Technology and Healthcare industries in the following job titles:
- Computer and Information Research Scientists - IT Research and development.
- Chiropractors - Healthcare.
- Computer Systems Software Engineers - IT
- Multi-Media Artists & Animators - IT, graphic arts.
- Computer Programmers - IT
- Optometrists - Healthcare
- Technical Writers - IT, other tech.
- Massage Therapists - Healthcare
- Physical Therapist Aides - Healthcare
- Occupational Therapist Assistants - Healthcare
Adduitional high demand jobs predicted include:
- Computer Software Applications Engineers - IT
- Computer Specialists - IT
- Mathematics & Science Specialists - In a variety of technologies, research, and education.
- Computer Systems Analysts - IT
- Market Research Analysts - IT
- Other Computer Managers and Specialists - IT
- Office and Administrative Support - Clerical
Largest Employers in Seattle
Largest employers, by size of staff:
- University of Washington - Education/research
- SeaTac International Airport - Transportation
- Swedish Medical Canter - Healthcare
- University of Washington Ob/Gyn Division - Healthcare
- Virginia Mason Nutrition Specialty - Healthcare
- Virginia Mason Medical Center - Healthcare
- Varilite - maker of Surgical and Medical Instruments - Healthcare Mfg.
- Costco - Buying club - Retail sales, grocery
- VA Puget Sound Healthcare System - Healthcare
- Children's Hospital and Medical Center - Healthcare
Largest employers in nearby Redmond:
- Microsoft Corporation - IT
- Genie Financial Services - Finance
- Genei Industries - Packaging and large containers.
- Eastside Hospital and Specialties - Healthcare
Largest Employers in nearby Tacoma:
Most of these top employers in involved in Healthcare.
- Tacoma General Hospital - A Multicare non-proiit company hospital.
- Multicare Hospice and Palliative Care
- Multicare Hospital
- St. Joseph Medical Center
- Madigan Army Medical Center
- Mary Bridge Children's Hospital
- Tacoma City Government - Government
Qwest FieldClick thumbnail to view full-size
Explore Seattle University
- Seattle University
U.S. News and World Report's "Best Colleges 2009" ranks Seattle University among the top 10 universities in the West
HIgher Education in Seattle
- Antioch University - Seattle
- Argosy University - Seattle Campus
- Art Institute of Seattle
- ASUW Experimental College - Ongoing community education in a variety of courses.
- Business Career Training Institute
- Cornish College of the Arts
- Everest College
- Hillsdale College
- International Academy of Design and Technology
- ITT Technical Institute
- Seattle Central College - Central, North, and South Campuses
- Seattle Institute of Oriental Medicine: 3-year programs.
- Seattle Pacific University
- Seattle University
- Shoreline Community College
- University of Phoenix at Seattle
- University of Washington, Seattle Campus
More by this Author
Useful Employment and Industry Market Forecasts for the United States and United Kingdom.
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
- EDITOR'S CHOICE243
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...