Top 10 Jobs in Temple, Texas - Healthcare Hotspot of the USA
Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad Yard in California
A City Founded by Railroads and Expanded by Healthcare
Temple, Texas is located on the Little River in Bell County, around 65 miles northeast of Austin and the fast-growing suburb of Round Rock. Temple is also just 33 miles from Waco. The population of Temple was approximately 60,000 in late 2009 and during autumn 2009, over 2,350 job openings were listed at any one time on the Internet alone for this area. Additional jobs were listed through other means.
If one were asked to describe Temple in one word, that word would by necessity be either trains or healthcare. Visitors often say that they are surprised at the number of trains they see passing through town and they often film them and place their train videos on YouTube.
Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe
The town was originally founded to act as a transportation hub for the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railroad around 1880. The "Santa Fe" in the name of the company represents Santa Fe Springs, a fast-growth suburb in California and the subject of the hit song by Johnny Mercer The Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe. In fact, the G, C & SF was a subsidiary of the A, T & SF. In the 21st Century, we have simply the Santa Fe Railroad. Four airports are also located nearby, along with major highways.
Healthcare is a major contributor to the Temple economy, with the large Scott and White Healthcare system connected with Texas A & M education programs and the local VA hospitals and clinics. Travel and Tourism is an industry boosted by both Transportation and Healthcare in Temple.
Important Temple Links
- College of Medicine - Texas A&M Health Science Center
- Galveston Railroad Museum
Visit the history of the Santa Fe Railroad here.
- Luby's Cafeteria
Luby's operates restaurants in Austin, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, the Rio Grande Valley and other locations. Luby's provides its customers with quality home-style food, value pricing, and outstanding customer service...
Luby's - Dining & Travel and Tourism
The Dining Industry is part of Travel and Tourism in Texas and Temple is home to some of the best units in the Luby's chain of casual dining, cafeteria-style restaurants.
Luby's is a prominent home-style dining restaurant chain in Texas with over 120 restaurants in large cities like Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio, as well as other communities. In addition to Texas, the chain successfully operates units in Oklahoma, Arkansas and Arizona. Headquartered in Houston TX, Luby's advertises that it offers flexible scheduling for restaurant-based employees, full-time and part-time work, and the following menu of benefits:
401k Retirement plan, Optional Dental & Vision plans, Optional Medical Insurance with Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance, Prescription discounts, Paid Vacation, Training and encouragement for advancing into management. Look for open positions at the link above.
Jobs with Predicted Highest Openings to 2016
The entires in bold type indicate positions already advertised and growing in openings in Temple from 2009 going forward.
- Mainstream Preschool, Elementary, Middle, and Secondary School Teachers and Teacher Assistants; and "all other" Teachers and Instructors. While these job listings are not high in number, listings increased over 60% ffrom February 2008 through September 2009.
- Combined Food Prep and Service and Waitstaff - Luby's, healthcare food services, catering, etc. Increased 271% from February 2008 - Autumn 2009 and continue to increase.
- Retail Salespersons
- Home Health Aides
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Customer Service Representatives
- Child Care Workers
- Janitors and Cleaners, excluding Housekeepers
- Correctional Officers/Jailers
- Office Clerks - Many in a healthcare setting.
- Nursing Aides, Orderlies, and Attendants
- Farmworkers and Laborers
- Business Operations Specialists
- Executive Secretaries and Administrative Assistant
- Maintenance and Repair Workers
- Accountants and Auditors
- Police and Sheriff's Patrol Officers
Largest Employers Hiring
Several major employers, including the US Federal Government, listi the most job openings in and around Temple wihtin a 25-mile radius of the citiy center, as listed below.
Scott and White Healthcare is the single largest employer in the area, with over 10,000 people on staff and at least 9 hospitals.
- Scott & White - See related video presentation. This is a major regional healthcare provider and employer in Texas. This organization contributes to the city's status of that with the highest ratio of physicians to residents in the US.
- Harden Healthcare
- Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
- Medical Connections, Inc.
- Metroplex Health System
- Texas Home Health
- Doerker Resource Partners
- Cracker Barrel
- CEFCO Convenience Stores, Inc.
- DR Horton Inc.
- Medical Staffing Network
- Texas Home Health
- Direct Staffing Inc
- Cirrus Medical Staffing
- The Job Cure - Physician recruiting
- Sunbelt Staffing
- Luby's, Inc. - Major restaurant chain.
- Army Medial Command
- Northrup Grumman
- University of Mary Hardin - Baylor
Healthcare: Employment with Scott and White
Scott and White is recognized among the Top 15 Teaching Hospitals in America, offering the clinical training for Texas A & M Health Science Center College of Medicine. It is the largest multi-specialty healthcare service in Texas overall and 6th in the entire nation.
Employing many doctors, this organization offers 750 physicians and research scientists among their 9 hospitals and regional clinics. However, still more doctors are needed. Between 400 - 500 job openings may exist at once with Scott and White, most of the in the job titles of:
- NURSING: Registered Nurses (RNs); Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVNs); Nurse Case Manager, Instructors; Nurse Practitioners; CNAs.
- Physicians' Assistants
- Managers in Marketing, Development, and Finance
- Interns in Nursing and Medicine
- Technicians and Technologists
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Clinic Assistants - HS Diploma or GED plus experience.
- Patient Services Specialists
- Clerical Workers and Administrative Assistants
- Research Positions
- Physical and Occupational Therapists
- Social Workers
Jobs at Scott and White Healthcare Skyrocket 407%, 2008 - 2009, 2011, with Increases in 2012Click thumbnail to view full-size
Careers at Scott and White
High Demand Jobs
Large numbers of local job listings occur in the following occupations, in which bold type indicates a match with government-predicted job trends listed above:
- Physical Therapists
- Assistant Managers
- Occupational Therapists
- Senior Systems Analyst
- Store Associates, Cashiers & Salespersons
- Supply Clerks
- Contact Representatives - Customer service.
- Managers/Business Specialists
- Allied Health Professionals
- Logistics Mgt Specialists
- Patient Service Specialists
- Sales Reps
- Technical Support - Intelligence and Electronic Warfare Tactical
Higher Education in Temple
Degrees and certifications in a range of fields are avialable through local educational facilities and healthcare careers are major entries through Scott and White Healthcare.
More by this Author
The definition of South Texas varies, including a number of different counties. However, four counties on the border offer ample employment opportunities.
Fast-growth jobs in the Greater Dallas Area abound in Information Technology (IT) as well as in Healthcare, the Aerospace Industry, Education, Audio-Visual Collections, and Bus Drivers. Green Industries also offer...
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...