Top 15 High Demand Jobs in Brookline, Home of Medical Miracles and Pitch Slapped
Pitch Slapped - Good Girls Go Bad
- Video Credit: Pitch Slapped - SlapThatPitch
Pitch Slapped, a co-ed a cappella group hailling from the Berklee College of Music, competing in the ICCA Northeast Semifinals... They places 2nd in FINALS!!!!!! Soloists: Jen Waris and Mario Jose Arranger: Ian Koff
Unique Colleges for the Arts
Berklee College of Music is the largest independent college of contemporary music in the world, located just northeast of the Brookline suburb in Boston.
Berklee sent its acapella champions Pitch Slapped to TV’s Sing Off for the December 6th premier show of 2010. They shared the stage with an original 1960s street corner a capella singer Jerry Lawson and his current group Talk of the Town and the 2010 edition of the original Yale Whiffenpoofs. A gospel group called Committed sang pop music for the first time and brought the audience to its feet; and a 15-man singing fraternity from University of Oregon did Lady Gaga's Bad Romance with awesome choreography to match (video at end of this Hub). It was a historic television show, but Pitch Slapped is an acapella group that continues year to year, adding new memebrs as older one graduated from Berklee.
Above, right is the number that Pitch Slapped did for Sing Off, from their 2010 national competition in which they took 2nd place overall.
- The Sing Off - NBC Site
A cappela groups from around the US compete for $100,000 and a recording contract.
A capella singing groups from colleges in the USA.
Local Area Post-Secondary Education
- Berklee College of Music - http://www.berklee.edu/ (see map below)
- Boston University
- Boston College
- Boston Graduate School of Psychoanalysis
- Harvard University and Medical School - Boston
- Hellenic College - Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology
- Newbury College
- Pine Manor College
- The New England Institute of Art - http://www.artinstitutes.edu/boston/index.asp
- Wheelock College
The Brookline Area
Brookline's original name was Muddy River.
Personality of Culture
Residents and visitors say that Brookline has a different “personality” from that of Boston, largely upscale, but urban as well as suburban. According to Sperling Best Places home pages, the median household income and home values are high in 2010, at $86,391 and $467,480, respectively. Some residents post on Internet bulletin boards that the housing is high-cost, but an automobile is not necessary with the effective mass transit and the number and types of amenities found in Brookline. Chain stores are not big here, but one-of-a-kind places are. Residents also say the suburb is low-crime and very safe.
Although densely populated with a little over 54,000 residents, the city does not allow on street parking overnight anywhere in town. Brookline is, in fact, an inner suburb, because Boston surrounds it on three sides; yet, it refuses annexation by the larger city. In addition to a dense city population, Brookline supports a working farm for a rural accent in addition to the oldest country club in the nation, a city golf course and green spaces over looking Boston. It also supports at least five pedestrian-friendly malls.
Brookline High School is a fascinating educational facility that instructs pupils from over 50 different countries, many of which live in Boston and some of which are at-risk youth given a special opportunity to attend. As of 2000, nearly 1/5 of this high school population was Asian, reflecting the insurgence of Asian talent into the American business and educational systems. At the same time, about 10% were African America and 6% Hispanic. The Brookline school system overall spends twice the average US expenditure on each student and, while the teacher to pupil ratio is only about 1 to 11.
Background for Success
Brookline, Massachusetts ranks 39 out of 100 Best Places to Live in America by CNN Money Magazine online in 2010. Located in Norfolk County, it is the birthplace of US President John F. Kennedy and Senator Robert Kennedy; and a major tourist attraction for historical and entertainment reasons. One major accomplishment of th eBrookline area is that is is home to an enormous number of scientific and medical breakthroughs and hundreds of topics of related research to improve the health of humans and animals in America and worldwide. Brookline has become a Wonderland of medicine.
Located to other Best Places to Live, Waltham and Newton, Brookline benefits from its proximity to the Boston area labor market and an effective transportation system that includes well-maintained highways, water transportation, railways, and airports as well as a bus system, taxis, and hike/bike paths. Transportation effectiveness is primary to Brookline’s continued development, with over 107,000 jobs available in December 2010, 75% of them not even in December seasonal jobs.
Brookline is older than the United States, founded early and incorporated in 1705, and named for its brooks and streams. Native Americans of the Algonquian language group lived in what is now Brookline and Boston, before white settlers arrived in the 1600s. A major roadway from Boston ran through Brookline in the 1670s, likely following Native American and early horse/wagon trails. It brought retail trade and new residents to the area.
A turnpike followed in 1810 and became today’s State Route 9. Steam locomotive systems arrived for the most part in Brookline by about 1850, but the Boston and Worcester Railroad line originally ran around 1830 through the suburb. In the 21st Century, the railroad line runs parallel to the Massachusetts Turnpike.
Streetcars became popular in the later 1800s, but the railroads never lost their usefulness and attractiveness as mass transit. Next, Boston initiated an EL, or Elevated Railway System, over many of its streets, as Brookline became an inner suburb at the end of the new streetcar lines running from the larger city that surrounded it on three sides.
- Brookline Community Center for the Arts web site
- The Coolidge Corner Theatre | Your Not-For-Profit Independent Theatre
- Dog Friendly Activities in Brookline
Don't leave Fido in the hotel room when you're on vacation. Get out and play! No matter where you're headed, we can point you towards the nearest off-leash dog park, the most popular dog beach, a really great hiking trail, and lots of other pet frien
- The Freedom Trail
Freedom Trail Foundation offers the official tours following the Freedom Trail, highlighting the rich Boston history that shaped our country. One of the most fun and educational things to do in Boston!
- Larz Anderson Auto Museum - Home
- Maliotis Cultural Center Website : Homepage
Greek Cultural Center
- Puppet Showplace Theatre - New England\'s Puppet Theatre since 1974
The Puppet Showplace Theatre - New England's Puppet Theatre since 1974
- Research Institute of Paper History and Technology
- John F. Kennedy and the Marilyn Monroe Murder
1960 - 1963 presents some of the most turbulent years in the world. Certain government sources stated that they would not release the true and complete details of John Fitzgerald Kennedy's demise to the general public unti
- Native American Nations of the Northeastern US - Pen...
Many Native American Nations lived in the Northeastern US sometime in the last 250 to 14,000 years. They migrated from Alaska and the Pacific Northwest, only to eventually harsh winters here as well.
Increase in Job Listings 2010 - 2012
Top 15 Hot Jobs
- Physical Therapists
- Registered Nurses
- Software Engineers
- Shift Supervisors
- Administrative Assistants
- Project Managers
- Occupational Therapists
- Financial Analysts
- Senior Software Engineers
- Business Analysts
- Senior Accountants
- Sales Representatives
Economic Climate of the Boston Area
Across all Internet job sources in December 2010, 107,000+ job listings were found within 25 miles of Brookline.
Among the Top 15 Job Listings found most frequently, only two might be directly connected to Holiday Season hiring and those are Saleperson and Barista. The Cook listings might represent a third such listing, although business growth overall places dining services in hjigher demand as people become busier. However, a sure sign of economic well being and growth is the fact that Financial Analyst and Business Analyst are both high on the list.
One-third of job listings are located in nearby Boston (mainly in scientific and medical settings where numerous breakthroughs are developing), although 2,000 to 4,000 positions are open in each of Cambridge, Waltham, and Framingham, as well as in other suburbs.
Major Hiring Companies: Selected Highlights
1. Faulkner/Brigham and Women's Hospital: www.faulknerhospital.org A respected teaching hospital at 1153 Centre Street in the Boston neighborhood of Jamaica Plain. The hospital serves adults and pediatric cases as well as cardiac patients. According to Healthgrades.com, the Top 10 Diagnoses treated at this hospital include Heart Failure, Bariatric Surgery (weight loss), Pneumonia, Appendectomy, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Gastrointestinal Bleed, Total Knee Replacement, Bowel Obstruction, Prostate removal, and Sepsis (systemic infection). Robotic Surgery is a new offering. Job Seekers can apply online at the Employment link on the home page.
3. CyberCoders Engineering
5. Harvard University and Medical Centers - Consistently ranked a Top 10 University in America.
6. EMC - Data/network storage, management, recovery.
7. Kforce Professional Staffing
8. Boston University
9. Beyondtek IT
11. Genzyme - One of the top five largest biotechnology companies in the world.
12. Winter, Wyman
13. Massachusetts General Hospital
14. Children's Hospital Boston - Interestingly, the hospital's Dr. Michael Rich advises parents against promoting the inaccurate stereotypes created for Thanksgiving. The hospital is looking for ways to prevent childhood obesity even before birth and is operating research in a number of vital areas that affect children and youth.
16. Kelly Engineering Resources
17. Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center - A research partner of Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and a teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School.
18. Dana-Farber Cancer Institute - A well known Comprehensive Cancer Center of the National Cancer Institue of the US Federal Government. The Insitute's Ronald DePinho, MD, discussed his work regarding aging on NPR's On Point on December 3, 2010. See the related important article on HubPages at Reverse Aging for Health. This cancer institute conducts ongoing clinical trials in the research, prevention, and treatment of cancer for which you or someone you know may be elligible; check here at Clinical Trials. Search the link at Research Advances to see the amazing medical miracles that are occurring at Dana-Farber.
19. Osram Sylvania, A Siemens Company - Seimans is the Number One Maker of hearing adis in the world and can print individually prescribed parts from a computer for a client.
20. MIT Lincoln Laboratory
21. Robert Half Finance & Accounting US
23. Biogen Idec - Development of treatments for cancers, multiple sclerosis, and other disorders; a $4 Billion Fortune 500 Company.
24. Northeastern University - Innovative school with studies in bullying, co-ops in Antartica, and other unique programs. One department is experimenting with tattoos that can monitor body Chenmistry.
25. Tufts Medical Center - A top Academic Medical Center and teaching hospital for Tufts University in Boston. The medical center's Floating Hospital for Children features a comprehensive range of pediatric services from prevention and primary care, the most sophisticated cutting edge treatments and a focus on rare and unusual conditions. Visit http://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org.
On the Rocks Sings - Fame Monster
- Video credit: YouTube - leodasilvaHD's Channel
University of Oregon's ON THE ROCKS a cappela group.
More by this Author
Job listings in New Jersey doubled in the four years between January 2010 to January 2014.
New York City is committed to maintaining and expanding parks, waterways, greenways, and energy-efficient commercial building & urban renewal. The city is known as the Greenest Big City in America.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE243
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...