Best High Demand Jobs in Fort Mill SC
Catawba at the Corn Exposition of 1913 at Rock Hill
Suburb of Charlotte North and South Carolina Increases Jobs
At the end of March 2015, over 24,200 job were advertised for the Fort Mill area near Charlotte in neighboring South and North Carolina. In March and April 2014, 22,000+ jobs advertised had shown an increase over the 21,000 jobs listed in March and April 2013 for Fort Mill, South Carolina. This shows over a 14% increase in job listings within two years.
Additional jobs not listed on the web usually include the hidden job market or are listed within individual company HR departments, on physical job boards in county employment offices, or in newspapers-only listings. Regardless, jobs are gradually increasing here.
The job market of Fort Mill straddles part of both North and South Carolina.
Approximately 2/3 of job listings found offer a salary of over $40,000 per year, with approximately 1/3 of the total positions offering salaries of $60,000 or more. While some entry level jobs are listed, many others require some experience and greater educational levels.
The abundance of job listings and the proximity of Fort Mill to the larger city of Charlotte NC help to attract new businesses and residents to make the suburb the fastest growing city in South Carolina. Other suburbs offering quite a number of jobs within the 25-mile limit are Gastonia SC, Rock Hill SC, Mathews NC, Monroe NC, Pineville NC, and Waxhaw NC. Rock Hill is an especially popular place for Fort Mill residents to work.
Fort Mill is located in the far north part of the State of South Carolina, just east if I-77 and about 15 miles south of Charlotte. Lake Wylie is on the other side of I-77, opposite Fort Mill, and is a popular water sports and recreation area. Approximately 10,000 residents live within Fort Mill city limits, with 35,000+ living people in the full Township as of early 2015.
Location Of Fort Mill
Green Spaces and Sustainability
- Baxter Village of Fort Mill is the next generation Small Town America. Open spaces and sustainabiity are woven on to the fabric of this shopping, entertainment, and residential center.
"Triple Crown" by Carolina Crown, Founded 1990
Business and HIstorical Importance
Major companies and organizations in the Fort Mill area include Wells Fargo, HSBC, a large part of the Paramount Carowinds theme park, Muzak, Knights Stadium (AAA Charlotte Knights baseball), and the Carolina Crown Drum and Bugle Corps.
Drum and bugle corps are popular in the South and gaining an audience throughout the nation. Young people can march with the corps for several years and gain a variety of resume-building leadership and arts/musical skills through participation. State, regional, and larger drum and bugle corps performances in competition are very entertaining and exciting to watch.
In the video to the right, the Carolina Crown drum and bugle corps stages a complete horse race. Members of the corps portray jockies, horses, and a realistic photo finish. Fort Mill is proud of this group and their families.
Historically, Fort Mill was location of the final Confederate States Cabinet meeting. Confederate Park features the first and only monument, to date, in America that commemorates Black slaves that fought for the Confederacy in the American Civil War.
Fort Mill began as a gift from Native Americans in the 1700s to whites that were passing through the area. Before the Revolutionary War, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Spratt spent a night among the friendly Catawba Nation, were invited to live there, and given a large tract of land. Spratts of this line still live in Fort Mill, according to the City website and a government building on Main Street is called the Spratt Building.
Top Hiring Companies
- IBM - Full-time and Internships
- Bank Of America
- Deloitte - Commercial finance
- Robert Half Management Resources
- Piedmont Medical Center (Tenet Healthcare)
- Comsys - Large staffing firm.
- Carolinas Healthcare
- Harris Teeter - Grocery.
- Lowe's - Harward and home centers.
- Mitchell Martin Inc. - Business and banking.
- Bayada Nurses
- Kforce Technology Staffing
- Medical Connections
- Novant Health
- Compass Group - Food service
- CDI - Engineering and IT staffing.
- Food Lion LLC - Groceries
Top 15 Hot Jobs
- Business Analysts - Many businesses are starting up or relocating to this area and current businesses seek expansion as Fort Mill continues to grow.
- Project Managers
- Registered Nurses (RNs) and Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs)
- Sales Representatives
- Physical Therapists
- Sales Representatives
- Coding Specialists
- Software Developers
- Sales Managers
- Store Managers- Small retail and grocery related outlets, coffee shops, and similar.
- Occupational Therapists
- Account Executives
- Administrative Assistants
- Financial Advisors
Major Employers in Charlotte
The largest employers, based on size of employee pools, in Charlotte are those found in a survey done by the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce. During April 2014, at least 22,000 jobs were posted for this area online, increasing to 29,500+ advertised jobs in April 2015.
Major employers in this market area are in the list below. Entries in bold text denotes top job listers found above, right.
- Carolinas Healthcare System
- Wells Fargo/Wachovia Corp
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools
- Bank Of America
- Wal-Mart Stores Inc
- Presbyterian Regional Healthcare Corp
- Food Lion LLC
- Duke Energy Corp
- North Carolina State Government
- Us Airways
- Lowe's Companies Inc - Hardware and home centers
- City Of Charlotte
- Us Postal Service
- Union County Public Schools
- Harris Teeter Inc
Nearby facilities include:
- Belmont Abbey College at 100 Belmont Mt Holly Rd; Belmont, NC
- Carolinas College of Health Sciences at 1200 Blythe Blvd; Charlotte, NC
- Kings College at 322 Lamar Ave; Charlotte, NC
- York Technical College
- University of Michigan Branch, Fort Mill SC
- University of South Carolina at Lancaster
- Winthrop University
Downtown Fort Mill
Downtown Fort Mill is a surprising place. Many features of this attractive central area unexpected. Ongoing development and new shops and other businesses keep the area alive around the surprises that intrigue visitors.
First, Downtown features a City Bandstand where several events take place, including music and a Candidates' series of speeches and interaction during election years. Downtown also offers a Confederate Park that covers 25% of the Downtown Area. It hosts four unusual statues that one might not expect to see.
The first figure was erected in 1891, featuring a Confederate soldier atop a base with names of 170 veterans from Fort Mill TWP. Two other monuments were unveiled in 1895 - one dedicated to women of the Confederacy, the other of expensive Italian marble to honor Black slaves that not only stayed in the South but also fought in the Confederate Army.
This is all unexpected, perhaps, but not all of the surprises. In 1896, a final figure arrived, this one for the Catawba Nation members that fought in the Confederate Army as well. A speaker on this public occasion reminded attendees that the Catawba Chief, King Haigler, had sent the first Prohibition petition of record to State Supreme Court. People of all heritage attended and spoke at this unveiling.
Surprise after surprise makes Fort Mill exciting and rich in history. Many people do not know that Black and Native Americans fought for the Confederacy during the Civil War, making Fort Mill unique.
According to the essay Catawba Memorial in Fort Mill’s Confederate Park by Louise Pettus, one of the inscriptions on the Catawba statue base reads "Erected to the Catawba Indians by Sam’l Elliott White (a military man) and John McKee Spratt." The descendants of these two gentleman remain in the Fort Mill area.
- Move Fort Mill Forward, economic growth, development, history, Fort Mill South Carolina
Fort Mill, York County - economic growth, events; preserving history.
- Colleges and Jobs in Charlotte NC, A Money Magazine Smart City
Charlotte - Mecklenburg labor market area is a prospering region with many attractions to fuel tourism and related industries involving retail, food service, accommodations and others. Healthcare and new business startup overall are also expanding.
Fort Mill Tour - Confederate Park and Other Historic Places
- Carolina Crown, Inc.
Drum and Bugle Corps
- Former Heritage USA Fort Mill SC | Heritage Conference Center
The Nehemiah Project. Restoration of Heritage International Ministries of Fort Mill, South Carolina.
- Olde English District
Things to See & Do & Places to Stay in South Carolina's Olde English District.
- Paramount Carowinds
Carowinds Theme Park - The Thrill Capital of the Southeast. There's fun for the whole family at Carowinds!
Additional Sites of Interest
- Narroway Productions Christian entertainment complex. Live dinner theater.
- Upper Room Chapel - A reconstruction of the Upper Room in which Jesus shared The Last Supper with his apostles. The chapel is open each Saturday and Sunday, with worship services on Sunday. Concerts and other special events are held. 8409 Regent Parkway; Fort Mill, SC 29715
© 2010 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
The number of jobs in this state increases ever year, even beyond seasonal employment in December.
Fast-growth jobs in the Greater Dallas Area abound in Information Technology (IT) as well as in Healthcare, the Aerospace Industry, Education, Audio-Visual Collections, and Bus Drivers. Green Industries also offer...
For a job interview, are you prepared to answer every crazy, impossible question without exposing your flaws? Prepare for your interview by reading these right answers to those very wrong questions.