Top 15 High Demand Jobs in Avon IN - Circle City Suburb with a Haunted Bridge
Center of Transportation, Industry, and Parks
Avon is a suburb about 10 miles to the west of Indianapolis, the large city that Avoners call Circle City.
Not incorporated until 1995, Avon and its city leadership are dedicated to growth and elevating the quality of life within its borders. The population increased during 1996 - 2006 from 1,000 to 10,000 - a 1000% increase.Avon leaders plan to expand their territory through annexations, infrastructure improvements, and community cohesion in events and causes that draw new businesses and residents while keeping current companies and residents active. Avon proves the results to be achieved via ongoing downtown development, residential renewal and expansion, and proximity to a large city, enhancing the lifestyle of its residents, and raising the public image of the community.
Avon is located in Hendricks County in central Indiana, second-fastest growing county in the state. Its population increased over 14% just from 2000 - 2003 and continues to increase int eh 2010s. Nearby highways include I-65, I-70, and I-74; and US-35, US-40 and US-136. All six major thoroughfares intersect in Hendricks County, providing an effective hub for commuting, business, shipping, and other travel and transport. The highway hub allows Avon to grow even more quickly with the county.
The City of Avon received $14 million in Stimulus Package funds for infrastructure projects that will increase the quality of city transportation for residential and business needs. This is an effective way to ease transportation and to draw new businesses into town. A portion of funding is being applied to the construction of roundabouts to relieve traffic congestion and reduce accidents at major intersections.
Repair and repaving of additional streets and and some other construction complete the funded projects. Hendricks County has added some additional funding that permits two other notable construction sites:a new highway and a 10-acre park at the YMCA and the annexation of another 12 acres to Town Hall Park..
Avon's Haunted Railway Bridge
Excellent Vid Link Credit:
- YouTube - 5stringGuru's Channel
Thorough, clear, interesting.
- Avon Perennial Gardens
- Hendricks County Annual Golf Tournament
Sponsored by Henricks Regional Health.
- AVON Family Fun Fly - Kiteflying in Town Hall park
Hoosier Kitefliers Society Website
- Washington Township Parks & Recreation
- Central Indiana Artists
Avon High Band's Football Game Enactment
Avon Development and Excellence Since 1996
Avon and Hendricks County have organized annual events that provide culture and entertainment to residents and visitors. The Avon Public Library began the Celebrating Avon concert at Town Hall Park as an annual festival and music celebration. The Hendricks Symphony provides a series of concerts, and the county sponsors a yearly Summer Fun Run. Arbor Day, a local Rib Fest, Avon Apple Festival, a new county golf tournament, the Avon Community Heritage Festival, July 4th festivities and others.
Avon High School's famous Marching Black and Gold in the annual fall competition draws much attention, especially since the unit scores well every year. This is a band with unique costumes and production numbers - see the video above for something different. They advance to State Championships regularly and often win - 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009.
Avon is attracting additional attention with technology, specifically a web page, its own Facebook page, and a Twitter account. Several related videos have been placed on YouTube as well. Avon supports increased use of technology by offering fee WIFI service around Town Hall and in the local city park.
Avon also supports sustainability and emissions control through public awareness programs and online resources for energy efficiency and recycling. Further, the city received a $2.36 million federal grant to replace two local locomotive engines with cleaner-running diesel engines that reduce nitrous oxide and carbon dioxide environmental loads. The city has approximately 700 acres of grass in its parks and in 2009, 78 new trees that were planted in local neighborhoods to deserve the recognition as a Tree City USA.
In 1952, Avon had a total of only 3 businesses, all were built on the same street corner. In 2010, Avon supports over 600 businesses, a 20,000% increase in number of business outlets in 58 years. Businesses began arriving in the largest number after Avon's incorporation in 1995 and the founding of the local Chamber of Commerce the following year.The fastest growing place in the State of Indiana, Avon and Hendricks County enjoyed a business investment total of over $175,000,000 in 2009 and added 1212 new jobs.
Avon Apple Festival
- Photo credit: Avon''s apple festival on Flickr, by cpmanda
Top Job Listers
Among 21,100 job listings, mid- April 2010, the highest demand recruits were solicited from the following companies:
- Clarian Health
- Community Health Network
- Kforce Professional Staffing
- Speedway SuperAmerica
- Ajilon Professional Staffing
- Taco Bell and PizzaHut
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- StaffPointe Medical Search
- Executive Search Online
- Brightpoint - Creative wireless soutions.
- Advanced Auto Parts
Top 15 Job Listings
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Customer Service Reps
- Food Stewards - SuperAmerica and Speedway centers.
- Physical Therapists
- Financial Sales Representatives
- Taco Bell Assistant Managers, Cashiers, Food Prep staff
- Respiratory Therapists
- Administrative Assistants
- Store Managers - Small retail stores, chain stores, coffee shops, etc.
- Sales Representatives
- General Managers
- Cashiers and Salespersons
- Restaurant General Managers
- Maintenance Technicians
- Project Managers
Jobs Increased 75% from January 2009 - January 2010
Largest Employers in Hendricks County and Avon
- Hendricks Community Hospital
- Hendricks Regional Health
- Cinergy/PSI Energy
- Henricks County Government
Additional Major Employers
- Harlan Bakeries - 150,000 square-foot plant.
- Avon Community Schools
- American Fasteners Inc. - Manufactures industrial fasteners.
- Clarian West Medical Center
- CSX Railroad Yard
- Phoenix Fabricators & Erectors, which makes metal storage tanks.
- Indianapolis Raceway Park
College towns and actively developing downtown districts are more economically healthy than others and tend to be least affected by recessions and other economic downturns. Many of the businesses are creating local jobs in Downtown Avon, quite a number in the well-maintained Historical Main Street area. For additional products and services, Indianapolis is only 10 miles away.
The Avon World War II Memorial Park Committee interviews local WWII Veterans for the US National Veterans History Project and honor in the new WWII Memorial Park near one of the new roundabouts in town.
A high quality local college is available in Avon, Indiana within the Hendricks College Network.
- Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis
- Butler University
- IU School of Law-Indianapolis
- Ivy Tech State College-Central Indiana
- Kaplan College - Northwest Indianapolis
- P J's College of Cosmetology
- University of Indianapolis Div 2 M/W
For additional colleges and universities, visit: Hendricks College Network.
Avon High School College Prep and Career Training
- Preparation for college and career is foremost at Avon High. Since Autumn 2010, students actively participating in Indiana High School Athletic Association (IHSAA) sanctioned sports that include competition cheerleading, marching band, winter guard, and dance team may be exempt from physical education classes. Students may use the time for their athletics or additional studies.
- Native American Studies and other course concentrations are offered through the Harris Academy that serves Avon High Juniors and Seniors that want to continue interrupted education.
- The Advanced Learning Center is a high-tech facility for Seniors and Advanced Underclass persons. It provides a very rigorous academic environment that requires students to be self-directed and proactive in their education-to-work planning and implementation.
More by this Author
Missouri is a state of many attractions and one of them is high paying jobs in growing industries.
The largest growing occupation in Chicago was Choreographer, replaced by Healthcare, Information Technology (IT), Forensics and Trades. Aerospace is catching up quickly.
Do you want to take advantage of financial benefits (lower taxes, business tax credits, in-state college tuition, etc.) by establishing residency in another US state? Here's what to do.