Best Cities: Sugar Maple State's Chanhassen MN; Attractions and Job Market
Number 2 in the New Top 10 Best Cities
Chanhassen (sweet-sap or sugar maple tree in the Sioux language) is Money Magazine's second pick for its Top 10 Best Places to Live in America. A suburb to the southwest of the Twin Cities, Chanhassen is home to approximately 25,000 people. within 24 square miles of land that includes a dozen beautiful lakes and a large arboretum and public gardens compound. Additional green space draws new residents to town.
From 2004 - 2009, property taxes in Chanhassen decreased as property values actually increased overall. Unemployment in the second half of 2009 remained significantly lower than the national average, because of a wealth of open positions among a variety of career fields in nearby Minneapolis to the east. Chanhassen supports its own growing economy as well as serving as a suburb and residential outpost of the Twin Cities.
Chanhassen, unlike the Number One Best Place to Live, Lousiville CO, has room to expand its population. Louisville covers only about 8 square miles of territory in comparison to Chanhassen's 24, three times the area.
Chanhassen Unique Links
- Home | Chanhassen Athletic Association
Youth sports for ages 5 - 18.
- Chanhassen Dinner Theatres - 4 Theaters Under 1 Roof
Enjoy a meal and experience the magic of the Chanhassen Dinner Theatres. We offer a variety of plays and musicals that delight any audience, from weddings to corporate groups.
- Chanhassen Farm Fell Ponies
Chanhassen Farm is dedicated to producing true-to-type Fell Ponies. Our training focus is on carriage driving for pleasure and competition.
- Chanhassen Restaurants - Twin Cities | Urbanspoon
Chanhassen Restaurants - Tian Jin Chinese Restaurant, Rey Azteca Mexican Restaurant, Houlihan's, Buffalo Wild Wings and Chipotle Mexican Grill. Reviews from critics, food blogs and fellow diners.
- Minnesota Genealogical Society
Information on events, activities and programs of Minnesota Genealogical Society, 1185 Concord St. N. Suite 218, South St. Paul MN. The society is a non-profit, educational organization.
- University of Minnesota Landscape Arboretum
Over 1,000 acres of gardens, model landscapes, and natural areas; 12.5 miles of garden paths and hiking trails. Drive along Three-Mile Drive for additional gardens and collections.
Chanhassen, Near Eden Prairie's Strong Economy
- Top 10 Hot Jobs in Eden Prairie - Best City in America
Eden Prairie, Minnesota was named Best City for Living in America and has been on that list since 2006. Incredibly packed with attractions and friendly people. Eden is also a center for authors, publish, arts and culture.
- Top 10 Fast Growing Jobs in Maple Grove MN
In northern Hennepin County, Maple Grove is a fast-growing suburb in the northeastern corner of Minneapolis. Maple Grove, Minnesota was named among the Best Places to Live in 2008 by Money Magazine and in early 2010, BusinessWeek analysts found it...
21st Century Growth
Chanhassen was a small farming community from the mid-1800s to 1960, when it began to grow with new residents and businesses. In 1852, Germans from the St. Paul MN area moved into the Chanhassen area to begin farming careers in fertile soils. Native American land ownership ended in 1853 and additional settlers moved in. After the American Civil War, a parish of German Catholic residents flourished. That group still exists in Chanhassen, but alongside other faiths, including the world HQ of ECK, Eckankar.
In the 1890s, manufacturing moved to Chanhassen and brought with it taverns and hotels. The first mall was built in the 1960s. This was followed by the move in of a large home builder that increased the numbers of houses in the city and founded the dinner theaters so popular today.
The 1970s brought a movement to revitalize the Downtown Chanhassen area, which has drawn additional businesses and residents to the city, with room for expansion. The local development organization provides ongoing plans for expansion and attraction of new commercial enterprises to the city.
Shakopee Veterans' and 7-Nations Recognition
The population of Chanhassen is largely descended from the German, Norwegian, Irish, Swedish, and English, with nearly 3% Native Americans, higher than in many other US States. Genealogy is traced for some of these groups at the Chanhassen Historical Society, which provides a large online gallery of old photos as well and family links. The Minneapolis Genealogy Society also examines and keep many such records (see links above).
The Dakota of the Sioux Nation tribes was a local Indigenous roup in this territory. The Dakota largely moved west after the 1862 Sioux Uprising that resulted when certain US agents withheld annuity payments to the reservations and caused starvation. In fact, one government representative reportedly stated that the Sioux should go eat grass. The Indigenous People revolted and attacked, and some Dakota were jailed, hanged, or expelled from Minnesota. Eventually, their reservations eliminated; however, today the local Sioux maintain several successful businesses in the Chanhassen area. For example:
- Mystic Lake Resort Hotel
- Native Americans in Philanthropy
- PlayWorks - Learning centers for kids.
- Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux
- Shakopee Sioux Pow Wow
The Sioux Nation has also installed wind turbines to access alternative energy since 2009.
Shakopee Pow Wow Photos
National Weather Service Map
Employment Projections 2006 - 2016
High Demand Jobs to 2016, with Median Average Salary in 2009
- Registered Nurses (RNs) $73,503
- Computer Software Applications and Systems Software Engineers $89,389/$94,317
- Accountants and Auditors $60,018
- Sales Representatives $52,936
- Mainstream Elementary and Secondary School Teachers ~ $50,000
- Computer Systems Analysts $74,902
- Computer Specialists $49,033 to$76,675
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts $83,361
- Management Analysts $80,861
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators $73,417
- Securities, Commodities, and Financial Services $66,999
- Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses $43,014
- Industrial Engineers $79,703
- Human Resources, Employment & Training Professionals $61,691
- Insurance Sales Agents $53,910
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers $59,151
High Demand Job Openings - Over 100% Increase
Since 2009, the 23,000+ job openings listed online for the Greater Chanhassen Area increased to 53,000+ by July 2012. High Demand Jobs listed in bold type are mentioned in the employment projections above.
- SALES: Salespersons, Inside Sales, Sales Specialists, Sales Representatives, Service Specialists, Sales and Service Specialists
- Business Analysts - May include management analysts.
- Project Managers
- IT Engineers
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Customer Service Representatives
- Administrative Assistants
- Financial Analysts
- Physical Therapists
- Mechanical and Electrical Engineers
- Insurance Sales Agents
- Staff Accountants
- Java Developer
- Assistant Managers
- CVS Pharmacy Crew
- Shift Supervisors
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Account Executives - Financial Services Products
- Taco Bell Hourly Team Members
Largest Employers For Chanhassen
- Rosemount, Inc. - Aerospace and electrical products.
- Life Time Fitness
- IWCO Direct
- General Mills
Top Hiring Companies
- University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
- Thomson Reuters
- UnitedHealth Group
- Taco Bell, Pizza Hut
- Frontier Communications
- US Bancorp
- Wells Fargo
- HealthEast Care System
- Boston Scientific
- Allina Hospitals & Clinics
- Robert Half Finance & Accounting
- Chanhassen College Homework Help
Chanhassen College Homework Help - Does schoolwork consume all your time? Are professors asking too much? Find out how to learn more efficiently.
- Find a Meetup Group Near You! - College Life Meetups - Chanhassen
Find Meetup Groups in Chanhassen, MN, us about College Life
Diverse Higher Education
- Arboretum - University of Minnesota
- Augsburg College
- Bikram's Yoga College of India
- Cardinal Stritch University - Eden Prairie
- Crown College
- Hennepin Technical College
- ITT Technical Institute
- Minnesota School of Business
- Rasmussen College, Eden Prairie / Minneapolis
- Thunderbird: http://www.thunderbirdaviation.com/ - Eden Prairie
Major employers like IBM and Medtronic in Chanhassen and the Twin Cities specialize in techniques, tools, and equipment that increasingly improve healthcare and lengthen the healthy lifespan. Together, Healthcare and Information Technology comprise the most important industrial fields full of employment opportunities in this part of Minnesota today. Resisting economic deterioration via continued development, even in a recession, Chanhassen is home to workers whose median household income is over $90,000 annually.
IBM DNA Transistor
More by this Author
Do you want to take advantage of financial benefits (lower taxes, business tax credits, in-state college tuition, etc.) by establishing residency in another US state? Here's what to do.
California experienced financial setbacks in the 2000s, but aerospace began to grow. California is home to more aerospace companies in NASA's Commercial Crew than any other US State. Go Mars! Go Moon!
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...