Best Cities In the Midwest: Papillion, Nebraska
Fast Growing Suburbs
The State of Nebraska experienced one of the lowest unemployent rates in the nation during the fall of 2009 at 4.9% That of Sarpy County was only half that of the USA as a whole in September. Major contributors to Paillion's economy are Mutual of Omaha, TD Ameritrade, the Union Pacific Railroad, ConAgra and Alegent Health. ConAgra is also the top job poster on Internet venues among all employers in Papillion.
Another big contributor is the Shadow Lake Towne Center Mall, which advertises employment online as well as a diverse collection of retail, restaurant, pet, and services shops, along with a grocery store and healthcare. Anchor stores include Gordman's, JC Penney, and Hy-Vee Grocery.
The number of job listings in Papillion had decreased somewhat over the previous year; however, over 9,000 jobs are available in Internet listings alone, added to non-Internet listings in Papillion and Omaha. The low unemployment rates of the County and City indicate that many jobs go unfilled because there are not enough workers in the state.
A suburb locates within 10 miles of Omaha, Papillion is Number Three among the Top 10 Best Places to Live named by Money Magazine in 2009.
Butterflies and Greenways
Papillion was founded in 1856 at a site near its present location and again in or after 1870. City legends related that the French found the site for the town in a valley filled with flowers and butterflies that prompted the name.
Today, the local landscape is full of wildlife, green spaces, and green living that includes hiking trails and fishing hot spots. Halleck Nature Trail winds through the city center next to the Papio Creek, so the great outdoors is in the revitalized inner city.
Two full golf courses add to the lushness of the greenways, lakes, and trails.
- Walnut Creek Lake Recreation Area: 96th & Highway 370, Papillion, NE 68046
Papillion City Links
- Eagle Hills & Tara Hills - Golf the Hills
- Silverfish Longboarding - Scene Report: Vinny's Skatepark in Omaha
Silverfish Longboarding is a longboarding and downhill skateboarding magazine with Longboard Gear Reviews, forums, articles, photos, safety and tip tricks.
- Strategic Air and Space Museum
The Strategic Air Command (SAC), Tactical Air Command (TAC), and Air Defense Command (ADC) became the major combat commands of the USAF on March 21, 1946. The museum opened in 1959, its 50th Anniversary celebrated in 2009.
Walnut Creek Lake Recreation Area
Child Safety by Community
The city government of Papillion promotes child saftey throughout the community, particularly on hollidays such as Halloween. The city officials hold a thoughtful and fun-filled 2009 Halloween Safe Night and Fall Festival at the end of October each year.
The cost of admission is only 1 nonperishable food item for 2 hours of safe fun. This is much better than door-to-door traick or treating among people on the streets that might not have the children's best interests in mind. The festival provides free bags of treats, contests, prizes, games, and refreshments.
This is truly a community event, sponsored by such agencies as the Mayor's Youth Council, the local Neighborhood Watch, the Papillion-La Vista South Key Club, Papio Creek Church, the local Parks and Rec Department, the Papillion Police and Safe Kids of Sarpy and Cass Counties.
Just another reason that Papillion is one of the best places to live in America.
Papillion Dog Breeders
The Papillion breed was imported from Europe, in which the Spanish word translates as "butterfly" and the lineagage of the breed is traced back 700 years. The butterfly is part of the City Seal of Papillion NE and is seen in the form of the ears of the dog breed. In some of these dogs, the shape of the ears and neck fringes form the outline of a butterfly.
Centuries old, this particular canine breed is also called the Butterfly God, the Pap, the Continental Toy Spaniel, and others.
Papillion Breeders in Nebraska
Check all breeders well for humane methods and standard care before purchasing a dog.
- Papillion Breeders Meetup Group
- Happy Tails in Papillion NE
- Garden Gate Puppies
- Marric Phlens and Papillions
- S & L Papillions and Phalens at http://slpapillonslinks.html
Top Job Listers
- ConAgra Foods
- SAIC - Sciences/IT
- Nebraska Medical Center
- Creighton University Medical Center
- Ebay and PayPal
- Taco Bell
- First Data
- Methodist Health System
- University of Nebraska Medical Center
- General Dynamics
- Wells Fargo - Financial services
- Bergan Mercy Medical Center
- US Navy Recruiting District
- Keen Info Tek
- Computer Sciences Corporation
- Tenet Healthcare
Top Job Listings
- Physical Therapists
- General and Assistant Managers - Retail and food service.
- Occupational Therapists
- Postdoctoral Research Associates
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Sales Representatives
- Taco Bell Assistant Managers and Shift Leaders
- Retail Supervisors
- Software Engineers
- Project Managers
- Administrative Assistants
- Customer Service Representatives and Coordinators
- Financial Advisors
Papillion Days Celebration
Employment Projections to 2016
Entries in bold print indicate positions already frequently logged in job listings.
- Truck Drivers - Heavy trucks like semis
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Customer Service Reps
- Food Service Prep/Server combination - Taco Bell and other outlets
- Accounting and Bookkeeping positions
- Nurses Aides, Orderies, Patient Care Techs and related
- Waitstaff - Full service and casual dining waiters and waitresses.
- General Office Clerks
- Child Care Workers - Indicative of the growing local populations of Papillion and Omaha.
Because of ongoing urban redevelopment in Papillion, the Downtown area now enjoys the Sumpter Amphitheater of the performing arts that offers free movies, concerts, wine tastings, and other events. This is in the addition to the in-progress development of a AAA baseball stadium.
All of these and more improvements draw additional new businesses and residents into the Downtown Papillion area as well as into the rest of the city. This makes the city an even more attractive residential community for nearby Omaha workers.
Bellevue Studies Omaha Architecture
Higher Education Facilities: Check For Job Listings
- Bellevue University - Participates with a dedicated partnerwhip with the US Office of the Director of National Intelligence. Adult students may complete a degree in 12 months. Online, graduate and undergraduate degree programs are available.
- Clarkson College
- College of Saint Mary
- Creighton University
- Grace University - This institution has jobs available, including community building and refugee resettlement as well as missions in Korea and others.
- ITT Technical Institute
- Metropolitan Community College
- Nebraska Christian College
- Nebraska Medical Center
- Nebraska Wesleyan University
- Omaha School of Massage and HealthCare
- Peru State College - on the Air Force Base, along with Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- University of Nebraska-Omaha
- Vatterott College
More by this Author
The Top 10 Employers of Ohio include two large universities, two major hospitals, two sectors of government, two aerospace and aviation employers, and two private manufacturing corporations, with more to come.
President and Mrs. Barack Obama will retire back to Chicago and help with a program called My Bother's Keeper. It will help mentor young men and guide them into STEM courses and other education.
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...