Attractions and Business in Lexington-Nicholasville, Kentucky
Small Town Boom - Insurance & Biotech
Nicholasville is the fastest growing place in Kentucky, reported by Bloomberg BusinessWeek in January 2010.This was born out by the remarkable growth in jobs from the end of 2010 to the beginning of 2013, a full 11,000 job openings avialable in January. However, located in Jessamine County, Nichbolasville is still much a small town in the Bluegrass Region along the Kentucky River, where you can view and enjoy the cliffs near the Palisades.
Amid a comfortable small-town lifestyle and ambience, residents and visitors can use Nicholasville as a base for traveling short distances to Louisville and Lexington for big city features. This is Central Kentucky, where agricultural has been part of the economy forever. Cattle and tobacco are giving way to alternative crops these days, though.
A growing sector of agri-tourism and wine production is also new, with the first commercial vineyard in the USA here (many people guess it was in California). The huge Kentucky Wine & Vine Fest is held in Nicholasville in the middle of May each year to celebrate this industry, offering an amateur wine competition to encourage new growers.
The vineyards and other agricultural installations are surrounded by horse farms and golf courses in the north end of the county and visitors love them all.
Business in Central Kentucky
Nicholasville means to keep growing and to sustain its momentum through global outreach. Successfully so, they have received a diplomatic visit from India's Dr. Abdul Kalam, which bodes well for international commerce between the city and areas of the Subcontinent.
Already, companies like Alltech, an important international biotechnology company, have constructed headquarters in Nicholasville. Humana, Inc.bases its HQ nearby in Louisville and provides a range of health insurance products and services.
An outstanding downtown development plan continually attracts additional enterprises to town.
Bluegrass Region Of Kentucky
Downtown Nicholasville Plans To Grow
The downtown area continues improvement in infrastructure, business development, Historic District, the creation of additional green spaces, and the coming together of a solid community-within-a- community. It is a gem of developing architecture, culture, business, and comfortable, welcoming atmosphere.
The Downtown Community Center is an especially good anchor organization. An additional $1.5 million was allocated for renewal over 10 months in 2010 - 2011, with continued funding expected in the future.
Interesting Nicholasville Attractions
- Asbury Equine Center
- Blue Grass Sportsmens League
Established in 1945 to promote the honor, dignity, and ethics of good sportsmanship among its members.
- Camp Nelson Civil War
- Chrisman Mill Vineyard and Winery - Kentucky Winery
Relax, savor the moment, enjoy. You've come to Chrisman Mill Vineyards and Winery, and you are about to experience a taste of the good life!
- Nicholasville Tourism - Visit Nicholasville, Kentucky
- High Bridge
High Bridge (1877)- Highest trestle in the world. Reconstructed Victorian pavilion extends 35 ft. beyond a cliff with views of the trestle, Kentucky River and Palisades.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame
Kentucky is the only state that has its own Pro Football Hall of Fame and its located in Nicholasville
- The Nature Conservancy in Kentucky - Kentucky River Palisades
The Kentucky River Palisades ecosystem project encompasses about 100 river miles, stretching from Clays Ferry in Madison County to Frankfort in Franklin County.
- OLD JESSAMINE COUNTY JAIL
- Welcome to Springhouse Gardens!
Springhouse Gardens - Where Buying Plants Is A Walk In The Park, 6041 Harrodsvurg Road Nicholasville, KY 40356 Tel-859-224-1417
Jobs and Industries
Local Business and Industry
The local economy in the area that includes Nicholasville, Louisville, and Lexington relies heavily on Healthcare services, Education, Travel and Tourism and the related retail sales, dining, and accommodations business; and Transportation. Manufacturing make a major contribution as well, although it does not offer as many open jobs as do the service industries.
Open job advertisements increased from 11,000 in January 2013 to over 14,000 at the end of the year. The proposed Bluegrass Pipeline Project hopes to increase jobs futher.
Top Job Listers
Top hiring companies around Nicholasville:
- Eastern Kentucky University
- Lockheed Martin - Aerospace and defense
- University of Kentucky
- Saudi Aramco - Oil and gas
- Affiliated Computer Services
- Ben K & Associates - Healthcare
- Fallstaff Travel Nursing
- Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell
- Medical Connections
- Rush Trucking
- Catholic Health Services
- Critical Connection
- Ashland Chemical/Oil
Top 10 Hot Jobs
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Sales Representatives
- Manager Trainees
- Assistant Managers
- Sales Associates
- Automotive Techs
- Physical Therapy Assistants
- News/Journalism Interns
- Truck Drivers
- Registered Nurse (RN) Supervisors
- Hotels Unlimited - Executive Apprentice Program
Controversial Bluegrass Pipeline Project
- Native American Burial Grounds and Controversy: Artifacts, Pipelines and the Economy
Some Native North American events have remained controversial, adding additional famous events each decade. Artifact sales and objections to oil pipelines are among the most visible and interesting.
Largest Employers of Louisville - Lexington- Nicholasville
- Humana Inc. - Insurance products and related services.
- Norton Psychiatric Center
- University of Kentucky
- University of Kentucky Hospital
- UPS - Transport/delivery
- Ford Motor Company Truck and Auto Plants
- General Electric Consumer and Industrial Division
- Korsair Children's Hospital
- Lexmark International
- University of Louisville
- University of Louisville Hospital
- Central Baptist Hospital Lifeline
- Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom
- St. Joseph Hospital
- Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Insurance
Government Projections for Job Growth
Through the year 2016, all levels of government join in predicting the following high demand job titles expected to grow in the Lexington market area, including the nearby suburb of Nicholasville.
- Network Systems/Data Communications Analysts - approx. 54% growth, 2006 - 2016. Inspring 2010, these job titles began to increase more visibly in job listings.
- Court Reporters
- Personal and Home Health Aides (HHAs)
- Veterinary Techs - This should be a rising-demand job title in view of successful horse farming in the area, especially celebrity-owned farms.
- Database Administrators
- Personal Financial Advisors - The demand for these jobs have fluctuated from summer 2008 - spring 2010, but showed an overall moderate increase. In spring 2010, these job listings were on the upswing. New financial jobs of this nature indicate a moderately growing local economy, reinforced by the fact that this area of Kentucky is the fastest growing for residential and business concerns. Look for growth in the rest of this job title list, particularly in the IT related titles in all industry clusters.
- Veterinarians - See #4 above.
- Computer Software Engineers
- Medical Assistants
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Physical Therapy Assistants - In spring 2010, this was the sole job title in the projections list to show high-demand status locally.
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Massage Therapists
- Foreign Language and Literature Teachers - College Level
- Asbury University - Wilmore, Kentucky
- Asbury Theological Seminary - on Asbury University Campus.
- Georgetown College - In the city of the same name.
- Jessamine County Career & Technical Institute
- Lexington Theological Seminary - Located in Lexington
- American National University - Three sites east of Louisville
- Strayer University - Online
- Sullivan University - In Sullivan KY
- Transylvania University - In Transylvania KY
- University of Kentucky - Located in Lexington
© 2010 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Although Texas slower than some other US States to accept ARRA Stimulus Funding, Tyler and the East Texas region were allocated funding with excellent results. Jobs have been increasing since 2005.
Fast-growth jobs in the Greater Dallas Area abound in Information Technology (IT) as well as in Healthcare, the Aerospace Industry, Education, Audio-Visual Collections, and Bus Drivers. Green Industries also offer...
If you watch CSI and CSI Miami on television, you are watching criminology at work. Criminology is an important science in the field of sociology that can help prevent future crimes and help prisons become...