Workplace Motivation: 4 Ways to Motivate your Employees
We all have our "blah days" at work when we just don't feel like being there and doing our job - and that is okay, we are only human. It becomes a problem when many employees within an organization experience "blah days" or lack of workplace motivation on a regular basis.
Without a reasonable and healthy level of workplace motivation, it is impossible for a workplace to strive, to reach its full potential. Infact, a workplace that suffers from repeated extreme lack of motivation is likely to eventually fall apart completely or at the very least, always struggle to stay afloat.
When there is not much motivation in a workplace, there is a general feeling of low morale, of "just do my job and go home." Efficiency is not good and more mistakes are made.
If you're a manager or supervisor and would like to increase workplace motivation where you work, read these 4 Ways to Motivate your Employees:
1. Opportunities for Input
- When employees feel like they have a say in what happens at work, they are more likely to be motivated while at work because they feel more connected to what they are doing. This is just simply a fact. It's all too easy to stop caring and to stop trying when one feels that their input is not valued.
- One of the ways you can do this is to actually ask your employees for their opinions and feedback. It's best if you can sometimes ask people individually too because asking for feedback in a grounp often excludes many of the people who are not comfortable with speaking up in front of others.
- An employee can be motivated by either money or recognition. In reality, most people are motivated by some combination of both, not falling on either extreme.
- As a manager or supervisor, if you have the power to give raises when they are fairly deserved, then do so. Going a long time working hard but with no increase in pay can lead to lack of workplace motivation.
- An easier and cheaper thing to do is to praise your employees when they have gone the extra mile. They have to respect you in order for this to matter and it has to be sincere. But if those two things are in order, then it can help fuel motivation. Praising people in public can be a good strategy but again, it has to be sincere.
3. Opportunities for Advancement
- For employees who want to advance their careers, having the opportunity to do so within their workplace can be a great motivator.
- Sometimes there is just not much room for advancement for some employees, but whenever possible, promote within and do it fairly based on who deserves it, not based on office politics.
- If you do not respect your employees, how do you expect them to respect you and in turn work hard for you? Respect definitely has to be a two way street.
- One of the ways you can respect your employees is to not be condescending towards them because this will eventually start getting on their nerves and they will start caring less and less about working hard for you.
Maintaining workplace motivation is one of those things that needs - you guessed it - regular maintenance measures. If you see it starting to dwindle, it's better to try to nip the problem in the bud right away because it's something that can spiral out of control if left unattended.
- 4 Types of Difficult Coworkers and How to Deal with ...
If you have a job, chances are that you've come across at least one person with whom you've found working with difficult. Infact, most of us over the course of our careers will have encountered many of these...
More by this Author
So you need to find yourself a new job or career because you left your last one and unfortunately there's just no way of avoiding that dreaded job interview. As I'm sure you're aware, in order to do well in a job...
If you have a job, chances are that you've come across at least one person with whom you've found working with difficult. Infact, most of us over the course of our careers will have encountered many of these difficult...
Being a medical laboratory technologist is an interesting career and one that happens to be in high demand right now. However, it is not for everyone.