- Collective ability to negotiate pay and quality of working conditions.
- Unions give workers in a given industry a designated voice to speak in their interest.
- Unions also raise awareness of workplace problems and makes people consider solutions that are sometimes unconventional, but effective.
- Labor strikes can bring entire companies to a standstill.
- Unions' requirements for pay and scheduling dissuades many employers from hiring non-union workers, which can lead to disenfranchisement.
- Historically, unions have sometimes resorted to mob-like tactics to accomplish their goals.