jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Do I have to pay rent if my landlord screws up?

1. Nicholas Moccia profile image84
    Nicholas Mocciaposted 7 years ago

The answer is, no you may not have to pay rent if they have breached their warranty of habitability.  Has anyone out there ever taken advantage of this legal doctrine?  If so what were the circumstances?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Remember this is an international site and that answer is not true universally.

1. Nicholas Moccia profile image84
        Nicholas Mocciaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Every jurisdiction in the United States has both statutory and case law with regard to the Warranty of Habitability--the law on this point is very similar throughout the United States.  As for other countries, I haven't researched the law elsewhere; however, much of the English speaking world in fact uses the same system of law as Ms. Sorenson correctly pointed out.   I wouldn't be surprised if there were analogues to the Warranty of Habitability in Great Britain, Canada, Australia, South Africa, Kenya, India and wherever else good Queen Victoria once flew her flag.  Needless to say, I would be very interested to hear about jurisdictions that do something different.  As for me, I speak for the civilized world--who knows what they do in France or Saudia Arabia!   I assume hands get chopped off when rent isn't paid, but I'm referring to lands where the rule of law prevails.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
          Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Nicholas, most Europeans would regard themselves as far more civilized than the US - I assume you haven't travelled much.

1. Nickny79 profile image86
            Nickny79posted 7 years ago in reply to this

And yet most Europeans are more than happy to take jobs and university seats in the US because of their stagnating economies...and they are also very quick to turn to the US when they need military aid, but this we conveniently forget!  I 've lived in Italy and travel to various destinations in Europe yearly. Europe makes for a good vacation destination...but that's about it.  Europeans can think what they like.  Were it not for the United States, Europe would be a German or Russian work camp today.

2. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Hi, Nick-
    Are you at all fond of mops as head-gear in another life?  wink

I'm curious about what Marisa said.  Is this somewhat 'common law' in most English speaking western countries?  Like, say an American wanted to rent a condo or apt. in Australia, or London or say even France?

And, hey!  You're cute.  Too bad my little sister lives in NE, or I'd give you a referral....

3. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

I think that last part was something of a political statement, personally. wink  Geared directly to the countries aforementioned--France and Saudi Arabia...   Am assuming they have a somewhat to very different history of law, too.

I dunno....  I'm having fun!

4. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

I'm wondering what the rate of multiple personality disorder is currently in New York City law schools?  smile

Always drama here on hubpages, lol....

5. gamergirl profile image60
    gamergirlposted 7 years ago

Only from spammers, Lita.  Only from spammers.  LOL

6. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

For what it is worth--I think he'll need everything he's got to practice law in NYC--.as I recall my experiences after 9/11.  wink