jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What should I Do?

1. PureRomanceVickyG profile image61
    PureRomanceVickyGposted 4 years ago

Im New to PR. I have yet to book a party or place an order. I'm getting a little discouraged because, the people who said they would book a party, or simply order from me they have nothing but excuses! Im in the Metro Detroit surrounding area looking to book or simply place orders. I would love for you to give me any advice on running this PR business.

1. Dale Hyde profile image87
      Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I would suggest posting on local websites and with local organizations that work with promoting such things. One idea comes to mind is Craigslist.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

Lead generation is hard work. Most people quit the party planning business within 6 months. Unless you're willing to put in hundreds of hours at the start, and avoid relying on friends for sales, you'll generally fail.

3. Robert Erich profile image90
    Robert Erichposted 4 years ago

Question: why should I pay you to organize a party for me?

What experience do you have, what benefits can you provide me with, and how will this save me time or money?

This is why you are having trouble (I'm guessing). Most people have friends who will plan an event for free (or a business professional can have her secretary do it). The reason people use an event planner is because they have networks, discounts, and other things that they can offer the customer.

If I desperately want my party to be in the most happening place in town, and you can get me that venue, then I'll use you. However, if I am simply paying you to make phone calls and set up arrangements (which I can do a lot of from my personal computer and cell), you have better save me time and money.

To start, you need a reputation. Your name and experience is everything in the PR and marketing world. Here are some ideas to help you get started with that reputation:

1) Arrange a fundraiser dinner or gala for a local charity (maybe a hospital, state park, etc). Put everything together, find companies to sponsor different aspects, and charge people to enter. You can take a fee for yourself (it better be minimal as people will want most of the money to go to the charity), but focus on using this as an opportunity to get your name out there.

If the fundraiser goes well, you will have helped a good cause, proven yourself, and gained publicity.

2) Start with smaller activities and create a niche. Plan adult woman slumber parties (maybe even for a local furniture store). Help professional men organize simple birthday parties. Start small with things that everyone needs help with - and work with suppliers to buy everything with a discount. If I can have you plan an event for me, and it will cost the same as if I plan it (but save me 5 hours of time), then I would love to have you plan it. Work to get suppliers to give you a discount and that is the money that you end up keeping.

3) Do a huge promotional stunt for yourself. This is a great way to bump up your reputation.

Check out this article for some ideas:

http://roberterich.hubpages.com/hub/The … ity-Stunts

Good luck! Give me a discount when you become Americas top party planner! wink

4. kathleenkat profile image90
    kathleenkatposted 4 years ago

Start with Facebook. Seriously. Social networking sites are a gold mine for finding leads. We used them in real estate. We would search Facebook for status updates containing the words "moving to xxxx." I assume you could do the same for party planning. In fact, parties are one of the main things written about on my little circle of Facebook friends.