1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

in order to succeed in the business world, one must have technical and people savvy.   So many times, those who are often the most technically savvy are not the most people  savvy.   The old paradigm that one must work hard to succeed no longer holds muster.   The new paradigm is that one must work smart, be highly acquainted with one's particular corporate environment, and to  network.   

One must have the prerequisite people savvy.    Those who are more likely to be promoted must have a lethal combination of technical and people savvy.     While one does not have to be googly eyed friendly on the job, one must cultivate a semiprofessional relationship with coworkers.   A coworker may know those  who would be able to help you get that desirable job.   Or a coworker may one day be a superior.   One never knows.   

At work, it is always best to be cordially professional in addition to having technical savvy.    The name of the game in the corporate world is people and connection savvy.   In other words, if you are not known, you will not get promoted, pure and simple!    Do you agree with this premise?

1. Efficient Admin profile image93
      Efficient Adminposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think it's a good idea to hire people who can get along well with all levels of employees in the organization, someone who can work well with others and have a teamplayer mentality.  I've seen too many toxic lazy bad employees who make the work environment more difficult and quite frankly they are not worth it.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Now more than ever, the name of the work game is to be a consummate teamplayer in addition to having technical knowledge and expertise.    The workers who are teamplayers and people persons are more likely to be promoted even though they may possess average technical knowledge and expertise than the person with excellent technical knowledge and expertise but have below average to poor people interfacing skills.     

I have seen people with A+ technical knowledge and expertise.   They know about job procedures and are stellar producers and workers; however, their people skills are abysmal.     As supervisors and directors, they created an extremely toxic work environment.   No one wanted to be around them; however, the POWERS THAT BE decreed that these supervisors were beyond par, so they stayed.     However, at my last job, there was a man with stellar technical knowledge and expertise.   He received awards for stellar work performance; however his people skills were negligible at best.   The POWERS THAT BE  at the agency refused to promote him and when they finally did, he was subsequently demoted.    He was, in essence, set up for failure.