jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

I saw a news video which an employee worked 6 days weekly at a job with a good salary; however......yes, however, his boss was the ULTIMATE boss from THE LOWER PITS.   This employee described his boss as being abusive as quite an understatement.    He stated that when he took a weekend off because his relatives from Europe were staying with and he returned to work, his boss berated and threw things at him because he made an error.    His boss's tirade escalated to a point which he FINALLY QUIT.   

Have you had a boss or bosses FROM THE LOWER PITS.   If you, did you endure this boss and if so, for how long?   Did you quit the job because of this boss?   Or did the boss bring you to the point that you went into attack mode, either physically or verbally?

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Oh, yes.  Big time.  I had a guy who made us sing in a Country Western group. He had a group for men, and then 'recruited' a group of women. I was a brand-new employee & at first I thought everybody just liked to sing together, but people were actually at rusk of getting fired if they refused. He was finally 'encouraged' to retire.

There's a lot more to the saga - the guy had gotten by with these atrocities for 40 years. I actually wrote a hub about it, titled something like "The Boss From Hades."

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Forgot to answer your question - my way of dealing with it was to be very candid when the organization finally investigated him & I was one of the people interviewed,  I later heard I was one of the few who actually spoke up; many others were afraid to give details.it's sad when people fear for their jobs.

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
      paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think I'm going to let those memories lie... big_smile

gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 3 years ago

Yep. I once had the principal from hell. He was an odious sort, with a "little man with a big badge" complex. He had his faves, but he treated all the other teachers terribly. Thankfully, he didn't last long. The school board removed him in the middle of the year. We threw a party! He was replaced with an AWESOME administrator!

He seemed to have a special dislike for me. I never knew why for sure, although I have my suspicions. Teachers are observed teaching periodically, and if the teacher isn't doing her job in some area, she gets an NI (needs improvement). He gave me my first one, and it was for a dumb reason. My class and I were reading a novel together, and I had only a class set of books. I had the books on the desks so that we could get to work as soon as the students filed in. The desks were slanted, and one student was absent that day. As I was lecturing, a student sitting behind the empty desk somehow bumped it, and the book slid off. He gave me the NI for not stopping the lesson and picking up the book.

When we had fire drills, we were supposed to go out with the class we had at the time and take our class roster with us. One day, we had a drill during my planning period, but I followed the rules and went outside, anyway. As I was coming back in when the all-clear bell rang, the principal stopped me in the hall and berated me in front of students and other teachers because I didn't have my roster with me. He did this before I could explain to him that I didn't have any students that period. After he finished yelling, I calmly explained it to him. All he said was "okay," without any sort of apology. I was up for tenure that year, and he didn't want to give it to me, which meant that I would have lost my job. The central office, the school board, the superintendent, parents, and other teachers were all on my side, so I was given tenure.

Many years later, I ran into this a-hole. I asked him if he was glad I got tenure that year, and he hung his head and said yes. He knew that I had received lots of "best teacher" awards and other accolades since his departure, as they had appeared in our local newspaper.

I was tempted to quit teaching under his command, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Our next principal loved me and my "out of the box" teaching methods! He supported all of my creative strategies, so working for him was a joy.

gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I hope that you teachers threw the odious toadmaster the SEND OFF PARTY OF THE YEAR!