jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)

My first professional interview

1. 0
    Sarra Garrettposted 3 years ago

I have the most wonderful opportunity that happened today.  I wrote a hub recently regarding fibromyalgia after researching some new techniques created by a local doctor.  I have been emailing him and he has agreed to an interview regarding his treatments and success rate so I can write an article about it.  Gee if I do a good job on this hub maybe he will need someone to write an eBook.....just hoping.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That sounds really neat and more than a little exciting, Sarra.  And, you know, even if you never get the ebook, you do get a good hub that might attract others and you expand your networking there a little.

A win everywhere, maybe.

1. 0
        Sarra Garrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I know, I'm soooo excited about this.

2. A Driveby Quipper profile image60
      A Driveby Quipperposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Sounds good!

1. 0

thanks A Driveby Quipper

2. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 3 years ago

Sarra, the cost of your 'Fee' comes under advertising... so perhaps you should consider approaching the 'Whole' task differently !  You really need to write 5 articles on the depth of that issue... Perhaps you should write a series of articles, a major project... and publish them all over the net... or one block of 5 on one site... and 1 article each to 5 other sites... all different and not dupe! 

The issue is THAT Big and perhaps you are not seeing the whole benefit that you would be supplying the medical practice (or a group of several doctors, to share the writing costs) if you, (as a Professional Writer) actually did the whole promo thing for them!  You can... easily... but you have to see the bigger picture and believe in yourself enough, to go after it!  Think BIGGER than a hub... and you will do justice to the issue, your client and yourself!  smile

1. 0

thanks Pearldiver, I didn't see the whole picture here. Definately a plus for me.  Plus, I just picked up another writing assignment as well.  Things are starting to look up my friend.

1. Pearldiver profile image86
        Pearldiverposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Excellent Sarra... what I'm saying irrespective of anything negative others might say, or how lowly writers are told to feel about themselves... Writing is a Talent... a highly marketable one.. one that only a few actually have the personal courage to endorse publicly and personally market... because there are so many wannabes out there... there are actually more opportunities for Good Writers to be appreciated! 
        Sell your clients.... on the benefits of having a good writer on demand, to help them achieve an exposure that they generally don't have the know how, time or inclination to do themselves.
        Charge your clients... on a scale that relates to the depth of added exposure that they can achieve, as a direct result of Your Skills... not on a page/word rate that 'average' writers or agency slaves set. 
        Your value is something that should be able to be measured... why then, I wonder, do writers in general not understand how to market a measurement of success that relates to their input and skills... charging appropriately?  A doctor does.... what would he have to spend on a static billboard?  Because that's the lowest they should be prepared to pay a professional... smile
        Knock em dead mate!  Good Luck..

1. 0

You are the best Pearldiver!  Thank you for your words of teaching and encouragement.

1. Pearldiver profile image86
            Pearldiverposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You're Welcome Sarra,  I'm just telling it honestly, you know... as it is... as I do!
            If you have a talent.. don't under sell it's value, or let others put you down... it's a talent... it's unique and only you have it!  Others see it and to some, it upsets them, because they think they should have it, or they decide they don't like you, because they believe you don't deserve it... Envy etc. sad
            Bottom line is.. It's YOUR Talent.. so what can you do to make a living out of it? 
            Explore the idea and believe, then you will be able to communicate your worth to prospective clients, who will appreciate your ability to 'talk' their language.... Wannabe writers don't know how to use words to communicate face to face anymore!  Doesn't that give real writers a better opportunity, on that point alone?
            How do your life objectives 'fit' with this enterprise? 
            Can you cater for the needs of your clients with the right words and strategy?
            Can they cater for your needs with the right fees? Who else do they 'know' who could use a unique service like yours? 
            You know.. you can do it!
            What else do you need to... Make you believe?

Writing requires more skills than a vast majority of professions and given that it requires a rational mindset to achieve skillfully, then it should be rewarded above certain other professions...

Great Writing is worth more, it requires a combination of countless 'other' motivations, mindsets, intelligence and skills, beyond the basic rational mind!  Great writers are their words!  Perhaps that's why so many wannabes can't be... they don't have the ability to think and act rationally and objectively, outside of the box... the box that they allow others to put and keep them in!

Good on you Sarra!  Bon Chance mon ami!

1. 0

I will be the first one to profess that I am certainly not the best writer in the world.  I am still in the learning process and am not afraid to tackle anything.  When I write about something I'm passionate about I tend to write a better article but that is probably true with anyone.  I have some wonderful mentors here on HP and when someone believes in you it makes you strive to do even better.  I'm not a quitter, as you know, and love to learn.  I am going to go about this with gusto and won't stop until I can't go any more.    Last year was more than stressful for me and my world crumbled around my ears. With all the stress I have become sick (see I have lupus) and have been having some rather painful days.  I am at a cross roads right now where if I can find work to do at home I would be better off. I just wish I was more computer savvy but I'm learning that too.  Just can't keep this old mare down! big_smile

3. shockblog profile image61
    shockblogposted 3 years ago

OH sarra I saw your last post where you sadly describe you were having tough time. I felt very sorry for you and now I have seen this post just bellow your other post... I am happy for you now. Good luck, Do tell us if you get the project.

1. 0

Thank you Shockblog for stopping by.  Things are looking up for me.  I was surprised about the medical article as I contacted the doctor himself and am now waiting for him to return the first round of questions I have sent him.   

Then today I landed another writing assignment on an unrelated subject.  I'm slowly getting there.

4. shockblog profile image61
    shockblogposted 3 years ago

smile thats good..never lose hope..

5. 0
    Motown2Chitownposted 3 years ago

Best of luck, Sarra!  How goes the job?

6. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

Very best wishes to you.   Hope you do publish e-book and many more e-books.

7. 0
    alwaysamberposted 3 years ago

So awesome!