How to spot content farms on freelance sites

1. 0
    jenuboukaposted 3 years ago

I was hired to write a lot of recipes for a client on a freelance site; their profile seemed legit; spending over 50K in less than a year on services.

However, I was hired a month ago and keep getting emails that they have no start date.  I emailed the contact a very detailed message yesterday on how this job has put my income behind.

No word.  If I cancel the job then it looks bad on my profile.  How do I move forward?  Should they be reported?

The job was going to take up a lot of my time to which I held off from placing other job bids.  The client keeps hiring more people and  I wonder if the other freelancers are getting impatient as well.  As of yesterday, they wrote (another) general email stating that we need to sign a NDA because of a similar project on a different freelance site; which I worked for.

No escrow has been funded, they keep prolonging the start date, so what is the best course of action to take when this happens? 

Of course, now, once again; believe if it is too good to be true then it usually is.  I just can't seem to get a straight answer out of the client.

Any wise words is greatly appreciated.

1. Judi Bee profile image86
      Judi Beeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Are we talking Elance?  If so, I think you're safe to cancel the job before it's started without any problems to your profile.  Did the client fund escrow?

1. 0
        jenuboukaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes, it's Elance.  The weird thing is that they funded a minimal amount to keep the job from expiring, Never seen that before.

Just irritated that it was potentially really good money to only be a waste of time. 

Elance has changed some things this year;  I am sure I can cancel the job providing the reason why and not have it count against me.