jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

3 most important reasons for American small businesses to buy local:

1. ContriveIT profile image61
    ContriveITposted 3 years ago

1: Economy - Big American companies are already outsourcing for goods and services. This means the money is not being fed back into our economy. Of course our economy isn't in the greatest shape right now but outsourcing sure won't help. If you're not part of the solution; you're part of the problem.

2: Have you ever had to deal with an overseas operator when you had a problem with your phone, internet, etc...? - I probably don't have to tell you how frustrating it can be. Now, imagine that same scenario in trying to collaborate with someone about how you'd want you website to look and feel, but their English is as broken as your Arabic probably is.

3: Who are you dealing with? - Answer: You just don't know. There are so many internet scams these days and the number isn't going down as long as people keep falling for them. It's pretty safe to say that if you took the time to search, you could easily find a web developer near you to do the same things. It would be a much more personal experience and if things did go wrong, you could go through our legal system to get it resolved. When dealing with overseas providers, you don't stand a chance in pursuing legal remedies.

2. CelebrateUSA profile image89
    CelebrateUSAposted 3 years ago

We also have to remember when we buy local, taxes return to our area. When we support overseas firms, the taxes leave and that means more taxes for us.

Yes, when we purchase American made goods, all too often, the price tag is higher but only initially. We end up paying "full price" by the time our tax bill arrives or when unemployment rises or when our neighbors home is foreclosed.

Buying local is cheaper in the long run.

ContriveITposted 3 years ago in reply to this

GREAT points CelebrateUSA. I didn't know about how this all works to better our local economy until taking a course in college. There's a lot of people who haven't had this "enlightenment" and I hope this message gets around to them. Thanks!

3. peeples profile image89
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

I agree with the idea of trying to buy local, but for me it just can't happen. 12 by 18 inch yard signs with a H stand cost $25 each local. Badges are $6 each local. 12 by 18 inch car magnets $45 each local.
    Internet price, yard signs $9.99, Badges $3, Magnets $9.99. I'll stick to buying my food local, but business related items are far too expensive for my company to be able to buy local.

ContriveITposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Very True. Unfortunately, in some cases we're almost forced into buying foreign. But bear in mind what CelebrateU
      SA  had to say. "..in the end, we end up paying a lot more in the long run. "

4. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 3 years ago

You don't mean buy local (which includes WalMart, Hewlett Packard and Micron Technologies for me) - you mean buy from Mom and Pop stores, which still sell the products of the megacorps.

If you can afford to pay double the price, it's a wonderful solution and all your points work.  If you can't afford the price, all the points become worthless as you can't buy anyway.