jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Which profession is of more importance, firefighter or policeman?

1. lesliebyars profile image77
    lesliebyarsposted 3 years ago via iphone

While both are important for different reasons, I think I would have to pick the fireman. They are at the station and can check blood pressures for the public and other things that the police doesn't do.

1. 60
      Lie Detectorposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well, I wouldn't call a fireman to do the police officers job, I wouldn't call a policeman to do the fireman's job.

They are both equally important.

I don't want my blood pressure checked by either one, I would go to a medical professional for that.

2. Bob Bamberg profile image90
    Bob Bambergposted 3 years ago

It depends:  is your house on fire or do you need someone to take an accident report?  The firemen arrive in time to help while the police, as valuable as they are, usually arrive too late to be of much help.

It depends:  do you need to have your blood pressure taken or are you in a hostage situation?  The police have the skills to neutralize a hostage situation while the firemen, as valuable as they are, are of little help in this case.

Bottom line, you really can't quantify the value of each.  Each puts their life on the line every time they're called upon, whether fighting a fire or responding to a 911 call or making a traffic stop.  God Bless all of them.

3. MizBejabbers profile image92
    MizBejabbersposted 3 years ago

I think that Bob has the best answer: You can't quantify the value of each.... However, I'd like to comment on the fireman taking the blood pressure that some of you seem to think is out of the ordinary. In my city, fire trucks are equipped with life saving equipment and the firemen are trained to use it. My son's house is four blocks from a fire station If someone at his house has a heart attack and 911 is called, the fire department will arrive first, probably within 5 minutes, and start whatever emergency procedures, including resuscitation, is needed. Then the ambulance will arrive and the medtech will take over. I'll let that fireman take my blood pressure any day.
    You might want to study up on what services your local fire department provides. Therefore, if grandpa has a heart attack or junior has a seizure, don't be surprised if the fire department is the first on the scene. And do give them access to the victim.

1. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 3 years ago in reply to this

There is a lot more to resuscitation than taking blood pressure! Heck, I can take my own blood pressure but would be very hazy if it came to resuscitating a victim of a heart attack.