jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Are the successes and strengths of American unions a myth?

1. andrew savage profile image59
    andrew savageposted 3 years ago

Are American unions successful enough for their costs, or are the unions of america degradating the growth of American capital? How? Sources please.

2. cruising.granny profile image59
    cruising.grannyposted 3 years ago

Do we really know how they work and what it costs the worker members?  Maybe the publicity and public profile is not all it seems.
    The other questions, would it work in Australia?

1. andrew savage profile image59
      andrew savageposted 3 years ago in reply to this

My observation is that they sound great and sometimes start off very strong, but eventually they all become pointless money pits where people lose a portion of their wages to prevent them from losing their job when they often should rightfully lose their job. I work in field where I have the option to join the union, but I find that most of the union members are incredibly lazy workers who have only joined the union to protect theirselves from being fired when they consecutively do not show up for work on time, do not perform their duties, and start inappropriate conversations.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I find that you are correct.  The successes and power of unions are not a myth, but increasingly the successes are leaving the scene while the power grows.  Power used almost solely to feed the VIP's at the cost of both the members and the companies ultimately footing most of the bill.