Should a mcdonalds employee lose their job over something like this?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 10 years ago

According to young turks, a mcdonald's employee decides to help pay for a bunch of fire fighters to eat McDonald's for free after a long day's work.  Take in mind, nobody asked her to do this, but she did it out of the kindness of her heart.  Anyways, the fire fighters got wind her paying for their meal out of pocket, and misunderstood the situation thinking that her boss forced her to pay out of her own pocket for their meals, so they talk to the manager about it.  How does the manager react? He fires her.  End of story.  If you want to know the full story, then please click on the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fna-in5vkgs

Assuming you watched the link, what are your thoughts on this?  Who's in the wrong here?  and if you were the girl's manager, then how would YOU have handled it?

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I reviewed the video and read the news article linked to the YouTube vid.

I was a McD mgr for several years -- In my state, if the worker wanted to pay for the firefighter's meals, she would only have had to walk to the other side of the counter and asked another worker to ring the orders and accept the cash (and we trained workers in that policy). Ringing up an order yourself and paying for it at your own cash drawer on your own side of the counter is/was against company policy, because it may be a cover for theft -- One worker seemed to be putting money into her drawer but was actually removing money and the store lost $400, leading to the policy of having someone else ring and accept the money. Two employees might work together in even that way to steal, but it never happened to us.

Our regional policy was also to provide free meals to any city police officer at any time, but not to the fire department or State Highway Patrol. The state officers were not permitted by state policy to accept and I don't know the reason for excluding firefighters.

I would bet that the company authorities did not like the worker asking for free food for the firefighters and considered the expense exorbitant, even if readers consider it small. If company authorities have a policy against asking for free food for any customers, then it should be in writing, imo.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There was an additional problem that the manager had already been told "No".  Then proceeded to do it anyway, and whether it was from her pocket or not it put McD's in a bad light.  If from her pocket, then McD's looks like a cheap piker, if not known them McD's will be expected to repeat it in the future.

So disciplinary action was taken.  It seems stiff and it seems out of line, but it's kind of hard to argue with direct disobedience to orders.

I agree, but I don't see that the specific NY McD region or franchise group had a written policy, or any training in place about the matter, or that the fired worker received a clear explanation about the "No." This leads to workers going off on their own - sometimes giving the food free without ringing anything or collecting any money (theft), because McD is "so big they can afford it" - as we learned in Ohio long ago.

Rules about cash handling and promotional food give always need to be in writing; but, since New York is an at-will employment state the last time I looked that info up, their McD need not give any reason at all to fire her.

In Ohio, she would have been fired. She'd have no legal recourse since the policy is in writing, and she'd be denied Unemployment Compensation, because she was fired for cause. If she had given the food without any cash collected, she could have been charged with a crime as well. Currently, some Ohio franchise owners have successful pressed charges against workers who took a large amount of officially thrown away ("wasted") burgers home.

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I misread something, but I thought she asked for permission and was told not to do it.  No writing necessary, no employee handbook needed, just a clear "No" from her boss.  Which she got. 

So she was fired, not for stealing or for giving away free food, but for disobeying instructions.  As I read it, anyway - there is almost always more to these things than is reported.  It must be made newsworthy, after all, and truth and completeness always takes a back seat to sensationalism.

I'm surely inserting my own experiences - Ohio stores I know about would  focus on the cash handling/giveaway aspect and bring charges.

There's a 400+% turnover in fast food and often this is for noncompliance. A "No" without an explanation (and even with explanation) can cause a lot of problems in the workplace, but that willful employee should be disciplined, as you say. I would have fired her, but I would have had my documentation and training in place, avoiding a lot of this sort of drama and avoiding rises in UI premiums with each such payout.

I agree that workers who do not follow rules hurt business and, in fact, this is one of the top reasons employees are fired (I've written Hubs about that).

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

The impulse was nice, but you do need to follow rules and orders in a job.

+1

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)