jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

Working for a familly business

1. RGraf profile image86
    RGrafposted 7 years ago

Is it normally hard to work for a family business?  I've noticed more and more that they have trouble with trust, control, and communication with contractors and employees.

1. kerryg profile image88
      kerrygposted 7 years ago in reply to this

This has been my experience too.

I think it also tends to be hard on relationships within the family, though that does depend a lot more on how unified a team they are. My husband is lately having philosophical differences with his brother/boss to the point that he's thinking of quitting, and I've noticed other family members having similar issues, but others it seems to have brought closer together.

2. The Phil profile image61
      The Philposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I have a client that started and still currently runs a family-owned business and he he expressed to me many positives and drawbacks. To me, he gave the impression that there is not as much pressure to succeed. But this, he has told me, has led him to believe that there is an invisible ceiling on the heights that the business can reach.
      So I guess it really depends on the personality and primary and secondary goals that are set in the onset of going into business with family.

2. 60
    localadlinksposted 7 years ago

Haha yes ive been in way to many family businesses and note were not working any more lol. Its hard to determine work time and comments from outside work time and comments.

hope that helps

3. RGraf profile image86
    RGrafposted 7 years ago

Thank you.

I had a hard time knowing where I stood because decisions would be made with me and then later changed without notice.  Usually I was the one hurt by it.

4. salaart profile image61
    salaartposted 7 years ago

Working with family's business its something very demanding and it required alot of honesty, patience and commmitment, It's best way of become real enterprenuer.

5. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

I use to work summers for my parents business ...started when I was 13 till 15. It helped me get jobs later down the road. smile was a good experience for me.

6. Elynjo profile image59
    Elynjoposted 7 years ago

I worked with my siblings and I had a chance to managed our family-owned business (partnership) and it was a great opportunity and experience. I don't recall encountering big problems with clients at all, except for some minor incidents with the delinquent ones.

7. 1weddingsource profile image60
    1weddingsourceposted 7 years ago

All you need to do when managing a family business is designating the specific responsibilities. And each of the family member should respect the boundary made. When a responsibility is given, trust should come with it or else conflict will arise among the members. Actually, some successful businesses in the market are owned by one or two families and managed by the family members themselves after taking a business course in college. And the business went well. try to look at some known business and you will notice that the hierarchy is usually within the bloodline.

8. Isela profile image62
    Iselaposted 7 years ago

I work in MY family business and it´s very, very difficult. The largest obstacle is leaving work at home. As for our employees, I think it´s good for them that as someone said, we have very specific jobs.