jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Paying to Play Ad Free

1. CelebrateUSA profile image89
    CelebrateUSAposted 23 months ago

Google has just launched a beta program called "Contributor" that allows the user who is browsing the web to avoid advertisements if they contribute.

It is stated that this is an experiment.

What brought me to this subject was the fact when I am out on YouTube, I am "harassed", yes that is a strong word but that is how I feel - every video I open has an advertisement. Yes, I can skip it over the advertisement AFTER 3 seconds but I am wasting my time loading that advertisement not to mention the minutes and hours of my life of waiting for the 3 seconds to past.

I know many people have a higher tolerance of "the wasting of their time" than I do. To perhaps many, if not most people, the 3 second delay is seen as miniscule especially in our global world but this is my world and the 3 seconds counts to me!

Who and where would I pay not to be interrupted out on the web? YouTube is the first place that comes to mind - what site would you pay in order to browse advertisement free?

1. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 23 months ago in reply to this

I really don't understand how this "Contributor" can work.  They say it's $1 to $3 a month, but that only covers a handful (ten?) of sites.   How much would it cost to avoid ALL Google ads?  Surely Google knows what we are worth to them as individuals, but I wonder how much that would be. 

As a wild guess, say I visit 200 pages a day.  If every page was worth 1/10 of a cent, that would be $2 per day - no way would I pay that.  I wouldn't even pay a tenth of that.

And on the publishing side, why would I participate? If my content were actually that compelling, why let Google take its cut - I'd offer an ad free subscription myself.

I just don't see this.

1. CelebrateUSA profile image89
        CelebrateUSAposted 23 months ago in reply to this

Very well stated.

You feel the same way that I do - but to take this theory a little further I was wondering but what if...

...what if we paid per ad blocked (the reverse of a click) or per site visit and only on certain sites that you picked. For instance, I would opt to pay for not viewing ads on YouTube or Wikipedia as an example.

would this be of interest to you then? If so, for what web sites?

1. Pcunix profile image89
          Pcunixposted 23 months ago in reply to this

I visit far too many sites for that to be of value to me. Much of my browsing is from following links and searching.