Friend Mean to Young Domestic Worker Girls

1. 61
    Justaskerposted 22 months ago

My friend is a nice person towards most people. Sometimes, he has been invited to others, and sometimes other people come to him. I've visited him several times. He lives with his wife and their 7 years old daughter.

His house is large, and to run the household, they've employed two young live-in domestic worker girls (some kinds of combined housemaid girls and nanny girls) to do various houseworks (like cleaning, cooking, dishwashing, serving, washing and taking care of the daughter). The girls are immigrants in their late teens, coming from poor conditions in Ecuador respectively Slovakia i think (but speak good English).

The girls have to wear uniforms (white long-sleeved blouses and black middle-length skirts with black belts, they also wear nametags, and aprons for some dirties housework, they maybe look a little bit like waitress girls), and have to appear neat and clean, behave good and polite. While I think this is OK (even if I know the girls hate it), there are things I dislike:
    Whenever they do a simple little mistake, he yells at them, require them to apologize while he tells them they're careless and lazy and disrespectful girls who don't know how to behave, should be happy they don't live in their poor countries, and if they don't become better, they'll risk losing their jobs (but he doesn't fire them). Once he yelled at the younger girl so much, for a simple little blouse spill on her own blouse collar, that she started to cry, which led to him yelling even more. Another time, he yelled at the other girl for spilling on her own blouse pocket.

I just say, poor little girls. They are both very kind, and always do their best to please him and his requests. He pays them bad, but they seem to show great respect for him.

Some people have told him they think he's not acting OK, but he says it's his businesses, as long as he doesn't break the laws.

Thankfully, he's not yelled at them in front of children (including his own daughter yet). How do I tell him to stop this?

2. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 22 months ago

I guess you need to think about whether you want to be in the house and company of someone who acts like that, and let him know what you conclude.  He is demonstrating very poor character in thinking he can do anything nasty he likes to them so long as it is not illegal. If you stay there and tolerate it occurring in your presence, you are condoning it and essentially agreeing with hisexcuses about why it is his prerogative to demean vulnerable girls away from their families.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 22 months ago

There's always the straightforward method: "Dude, why are you being such a douche? Cut it out."