jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

In-text advertising programs: Are they worth it?

1. NateB11 profile image93
    NateB11posted 22 months ago

For my own websites, I've been considering using in-text advertising; probably just for one or two of my sites. Was wondering if those with their own sites/blogs that are monetized if you've found in-text ads to be profitable. Or are they a bad idea? Does it affect SEO? Programs I'm considering, but not sure which one(s) to use, are: Infolinks, Skimlinks and Viglink. I think there are more I've read about, but those are off the top of my head. Are one of these a good ad program or are there better ones?

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 22 months ago

For one thing Viglinks is a program that has multiple merchants for whom you can promote products just like Amazon.  Viglinks has more bugs than HP. I have dumped them and have gone to Share A Sale.

I have signed up for Skimlinks and they deal with some major retailers, but I have not done anything with them yet.  You need to go through a lot of material to find out how it works, and what to do with it.

Infolinks is along the lines of Adsense Ads, and Chitika.   I make more money with them than I do with Adsense or Chitika.  50 dollar minimum payout.

NateB11posted 22 months ago in reply to this

Thanks, Linda, that's good information. I was thinking about using Infolinks on at least one of my blogs. I might avoid Viglinks then, I have heard that before that they have bugs. I've heard good things about Skimlinks though. Might still try them out. Probably start out with Infolinks and see how it goes.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image60

NateB11: Viglinks was great when they started.  Then came the bugs, changes to the site, and now even more bugs. Customer service has gone to the dogs. So, I dumped them.

I have learned this:  A lot of merchants on these sites are Drop Shippers. Most of the time you can find their products on Amazon.  You do have to apply to most merchants, some is automatic with Share A Sale.  I love the set up and what you can do with merchant products, and commissions are higher than Amazon most of the time.

4. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 22 months ago

I have tried two different in text schemes and decided the paltry earnings were not worth it given how annoying many users find these things.

I was wondering about this, because I find in-text ads annoying and I know most people do.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Nate: Infolinks gives you multiple choices of types of ads, how many, where they are placed and which sites you want them on. I earn more from these than I do from Adsense.  I was allowing only a couple. I just increase to 5, in multiple ways which I can change, cancel out methods anytime I want to.

Share A Sale is like Commission Junction, Amazon, etc. They have banner ads, among text links.  You can create a product page, create  a custom link which is a shortened link. I use them for images.

I signed up for Infolinks this morning. I'm going to give it a try on one of my sites and customize it like you say. Good to hear that money can be made through them.

I do use Share A Sale Affiliates for a couple of my sites. I'm not sure I know all the ways it can be used. I've used links and banners, and have some pages for products in which I provides links to products through images. When you say product page, do you mean posting a page to my blog in which I put my affiliate's products on it? I've basically done that with at least a few pages on my site; I use links and images with links.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Nate: Not all merchants allow the same thing.  But, when you select merchant, click on get links, you may or may not see Product Showcase, Make A Page is one I like, Create a custom link.  Some may have widgets they provide with preselected products and descriptions, etc.

Thanks, Linda. I have made custom links for specific products, which I use to make text links and links in images. I'll have to check for Make A Page and Product Showcase. I've also used banners for specific products.

working