jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Best Website to Sell Used Books On-line?

1. GAES STEM profile image92
    GAES STEMposted 10 months ago

What is your experience with selling gently used books (college text books, SAT prep materials, and recent best sellers) on-line?  Are there specific sites to avoid?  Please share your experience.  I don't want to be in the individual book selling business, as we have about 200 families.  (We're a parent boosters group.)  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 10 months ago in reply to this

The only experience I have with success is Ebay, although only with specialty market books. But, one must do their research (more following). At task is remembering the adage, "What the market will bear". There are a ton of marketers there. Many are large. So, with research will be seeking the specific marketplaces for the books themselves, while also as a generality is you as vendor with all listings.

There are many approaches, One is selling as a lot. Perhaps one of those large vendors will take a particular lot of your hands. Like only SAT related books? Hopefully they will be evergreen books not time specific. I dun'no if that matters or not.

Research: No matter where the choice is to sell - other sites, knowing the marketplace helps with pricing and knowing what is in demand. Of course is known the venture will be as one of those suppliers.

To see the market goto Ebay and look up some specific books. You do not have to be a member to look about. For instance I just went there and typed in SAT books. There are 4,412 listing under that generic search. More specific searches the better. Possibly? by ISBN. I dun'no . . . Everything can be sorted with the results:

However, to the left are sub-categories with topics listed:

Subject (One topic is test prep - 275 listings)
      Education Level
      A search queue for price by the researcher

** Format meaning type of sale:
      All listings - 4,412
      Auction - 102
      Buy it Now - 4,355

and, Others . . .

If someone in your group is a member (signed in) there are Two important sub-categories. At the end of that list discovered will be 'Show Only' (Sortable):

Returns Accepted followed by . . .

** Completed Listings - It will show past results of listed items sold or not sold (pages of them)
      ** Sold Listings - shows only past sold items

Best wishes with the venture :-) I hope that helps that adventures with anything . . .

2. System Guy profile image60
      System Guyposted 10 months ago in reply to this

I also prefer Ebay in that case.

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 10 months ago

Either Ebay ot the college bookstores "sellback" system which saves on shipping.

3. calculus-geometry profile image85
    calculus-geometryposted 10 months ago

Amazon has always worked for me.  If you want to save time and get rid of them all at once, a local used bookstore will probably take them.  What they'll offer you won't be as good as a price you can set yourself online.  I'm more apt to do the latter just to support a local business.