jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (8 posts)

Signs the economy is rising...

1. jackclee lm profile image74
    jackclee lmposted 12 days ago

This forum is a discussion on how our economy is doing.
    There usually are signs other than just the stock market or jobs...
    I will start with 2 signs.
    1. Gasoline prices on the rise. This week, I saw our local gas prices jumped up 10 cents a gallon. This indicates to me business demands are up, supply and demand causes this rise.

2. I just saw an interview of Stew Leonard CEO who said his company has seen uptick in the sales of $50 bottles of wine and in their mash potato product.

If you have a story, please share it with us.

jackclee lmposted 12 days ago in reply to this

One more, a relative of my who has been out of work for 6 months just landed a great job.

2. colorfulone profile image89
      colorfuloneposted 11 days ago in reply to this

I'm wondering if the uptick in their potato products sales has anything to do with what's being called a "Potato Crisis" in Japan.  Seems they love their potato chips but $12 a bag is to high for most to spend there.  *  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles … ng-12-bags

I found that article on Drudge Report:  http://drudgereport.com/

jackclee lmposted 11 days ago in reply to this

That does not explain why people are buying $3 per pound of mash potato while raw potato are 99 cents a pound. The point Stew Leonard CEO was making that people are feeling good about their finances where they will spend more on a product where they could have bought the cheaper potato and make the mash themselves.

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 11 days ago in reply to this

If you're talking powdered mashed potatoes, it's probably cheaper to make a bowl of powdered mix than real potatoes.  That powder weighs next to nothing - I expect profits are accumulated because of the low cost of shipping compared to live potatoes.

But driving down the main street here recently I was struck with the number of flourishing eateries and coffee joints.  Both absolutely cost more than home made, yet it seemed every 3rd or 4th building was an eatery of some kind.  And don't get me started on $10 cups of coffee!

jackclee lmposted 10 days ago in reply to this

This is the item I was talking about -
            http://www.stewleonards.com/stews-recip … th-chives/

Stew Leonards is a small family run grocery chain with a few stores in the Tri State region.

jackclee lmposted 10 days ago in reply to this

Another indicator. People are eating out more. Some of our local restaurants are busy and crowded even on a week night.

1. wilderness profile image94
                wildernessposted 10 days ago in reply to this

That's what hit me the other day - the sheer number of places to spend four times what you would for home cooked food.  Somebody has money coming in!

working