jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)

Public speaking 101

1. nikki1 profile image60
    nikki1posted 7 years ago

What are your thoughts..

1. JulietduPreez profile image89
      JulietduPreezposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Speak from the heart.

2. 0
      Crazdwriterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I hate it and do my best to avoid it...I hated taking speech class because I hate talking to adults and ppl my age. I do much better talking to kids hence why I am a preschool teacher

2. BrianFanslau profile image60
    BrianFanslauposted 7 years ago

Confidence. Thinking on Your Feet. Commanding the Knowledge

1. nikki1 profile image60
      nikki1posted 7 years ago in reply to this

wow, got my attention.. 80

3. Luciendasky profile image77
    Luciendaskyposted 7 years ago

Be concise and clear and know your subject

1. 0
      mtsi1098posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I agree...and know the audience

4. michelle.dragon99 profile image59
    michelle.dragon99posted 7 years ago

organize your facts;mentioned it step by step, don't confused your guest...eye contact and style of conducting the presentation also important.....good luck:)

5. jiberish profile image80
    jiberishposted 7 years ago

Public speaking is an art.  You have to dress the part, move your eyes and hand, make sure to look around the room, etc.  Choose your words, use props if needed, rehearse your speech, so not to sound like you're reading, know when to pause..I love public speaking.

6. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

Know your facts, speak clearly, look directly into the audience, be well organized.  Avoid words like, um, ah, and - those words alone put me on alert that the person speaking is either very nervous or has no clue what they are going to talk about.  If you have a chance prior to speaking, go up to the podium and get comfortable with your surrounding and test the microphone.  The microphone is your friend.

7. Misha profile image74
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Thoughts just spoil everything. No thoughts. smile

8. patful profile image60
    patfulposted 7 years ago

Nervous speakers sometimes don't know what to do with their hands. Men may put their hands in pants pockets and jingle the car keys. Women may twirl their hair. To relieve this "what do I do with my hands?" problem, try putting one hand on the podium (if there is one) but don't give it a death grip.

The goal is to get enough practice in giving speeches so that the nervousness goes away (eventually).

Another source of self-confidence for nervous speakers is a collection of notes (keep them out of sight, if possible) as reminders--not as a script to read out loud.

If you really enjoy your subject, that goes a long way toward making the speech-making less painful.

9. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 7 years ago

Experience more than anything else.

10. kirwing profile image60
    kirwingposted 7 years ago

Crazed writer, What genre of writing is your favorite?

1. 0
      Crazdwriterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Horror, mystery, mystery/detective, suspense/thriller, and fantasy. But my all time fav is Horror have a short story posted in a hub on here too big_smile

11. kirwing profile image60
    kirwingposted 7 years ago

I'm just getting into writing in that genre....I know of an awesome detective novelist who is so unknown and I'm not even into detective stories and he also has this vampire series....What's the biggest attraction to hub pages?