jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Save money building a solar panel

1. chellmill1212 profile image60
    chellmill1212posted 7 years ago

Are you talking about building a single solar panel or an array of solar panels?

2. Misha profile image73
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

L@@K, spammer yikes

1. Raven King profile image61
      Raven Kingposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Brrr, that's a scary look! Did you feed your bird. hahaha....

1. Misha profile image73
        Mishaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

it feeds on spammer eyes bva-ha-ha-ha lol

1. Raven King profile image61
          Raven Kingposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Ahhhhh... smile  big_smile    big_smile  .....ahhhhhhhh.....

3. Aya Katz profile image87
    Aya Katzposted 7 years ago

Okay, spamming aside, I'm looking for an inexpensive way to heat my chicken coop. All I want is a solar panel hooked to a battery that will run a single light bulb. (The light bulb has to generate heat, not just light.)

So far, it's seems as if it would $6,000, which is definitely not worth it.

4. Misha profile image73
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

If you have soldering skills, you can probably make one for around $500, far cry from what those guys would like you to believe. smile

5. Aya Katz profile image87
    Aya Katzposted 7 years ago

Okay, Misha, that's good to know! Might make a difference in cost/benefit analysis. Besides soldering skills, do I need a diagram?

6. Misha profile image73
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Depends on your electrical knowledge. smile

7. radinfo1 profile image58
    radinfo1posted 7 years ago

Instead of using a photovoltic panel to light a bulb, you can use a thermal solar panel.  They are much cheaper to build and operate.  Basically a box with black background, clear top (plastic sheeting or plastic panels depending on how sturdy you want it), and air flow.  You can use water in black piping to create a thermal sink in your chicken coop.

The water heats during the day (it can get pretty hot too).  It circulates into a heat sink inside the coop.  At night the flow should shut off.  The coop will stay warm all night as the heat sink dissipates energy into the room.  It won't provide light though so if you need a light you might want to consider a battery operated light.  LEDs don't use much energy but are more expensive.

1. annoco profile image60
      annocoposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I use to make solar panels and i agree with the above, KISS and it will work and cost a few dollars only.

working