jump to last post 1-20 of 20 discussions (23 posts)

Stores no longer around that you miss

1. Below-average Joe profile image60
    Below-average Joeposted 7 years ago

Kind of random, but does anyone miss a store that is no longer around?

Anyone from the Philly/Jersey area will remember Clover (like a KMart, before WalMart destroyed every other store in it's wake).  I miss Clover for some reason, probably cause that's where we always went as kids for everything that wasn't a grocery item.

1. Sally's Trove profile image99
      Sally's Troveposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Clover was a Strawbridge discount store.  Strawbridge is gone, too.  I miss them both. TKS for the memories.  Not to mention Wanamaker's.

2. Anti-Valentine profile image94
    Anti-Valentineposted 7 years ago

I know it's not necessarily a "store", but I've been thinking a lot recently about a pizza place that closed down a long time ago. It was called Berlino's Pizza. It was tasty, cheap, and cooked in a wood oven. And there was a video store right next door, run by the same people, to boot.

A lot of these other places don't measure up to what Berlino's was years ago.

1. manlypoetryman profile image73
      manlypoetrymanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes...AV...Exactly...I miss the local restaraunts ie. we used to always have small neighborhood pizza joints...too many to name here. All of them could kick butt against the multi-conglomerate pizza chains...any day of the week. But...it's not just them...all the local neighborhood restaraunts have gone the way of the doo-doo bird against the franchises. Who wants to drive to another town or another part of your town and exactly all the same stuff you could in your neighborhood...How boring!

3. lrohner profile image83
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

I totally miss a few chain stores that went under in the past year -- Linens n Things and Bombay in particular.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

I miss Marks and Spencers, they moved out of Canada a few years ago. I also miss Woolworths (just for nostalgia reasons)

5. 0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

Number one that comes to mind is Woolworths. what a shame.

1. Sally's Trove profile image99
      Sally's Troveposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Ditto, ditto, ditto.  And the same said for the other five and dimes...Kresge's, McCrory's, and others.  Walmart and dollar stores will never take their places.

6. Dolores Monet profile image90
    Dolores Monetposted 7 years ago

Oh, Woolworth's was great. One of the last stores with a soda fountain and most of the ones I went in still have wooden floors.

7. Laurel Oakes profile image61
    Laurel Oakesposted 7 years ago

Most definitely Woolworths

8. 0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

SS Kresge too. spelling? LOL

9. wrenfrost56 profile image82
    wrenfrost56posted 7 years ago

Yeah I miss Woolworths too, you can find them online but its not quite the same is it?

10. dejajolie profile image62
    dejajolieposted 7 years ago

Linens and Things def... and Hallmark (I think some mall locations are still around-but a lot of the independent ones in my area are gone...;(

11. Dolores Monet profile image90
    Dolores Monetposted 7 years ago

Kresgee's - I sure remember them ralwus, sort of like Woolworths. And the restaraunts, I think the younger people all go to chains and that really hurts the local places. When we're on the road, we eat local or just drive hungry til we find one.

12. 0
    Janettaposted 7 years ago

Montgomery Ward

My great grandma worked there for ages and I remember going as a kid and riding the escalator. Around here, two stories of shopping with an escalator was a big deal! lol

13. 0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

Yeah, they were the 5&dime store with a soda fountain and grill. They were a chain though. Didn't K Mart buy them? My Mon worked there as a cook for a long time.

14. 0
    ralwusposted 7 years ago

We still have a Monkey Ward in Orrville.

15. 0
    Madame Xposted 7 years ago

There was a great housewares store in NJ called Made in America. It had every cool kitchen gadget you could think of - as well as the usual bakeware, cookware, etc. It's gone now sad

16. 0
    A Texanposted 7 years ago

TG and Y That may have been a regional store, but it was cool!

17. europewalker profile image82
    europewalkerposted 7 years ago

18. Ivorwen profile image83
    Ivorwenposted 7 years ago

I miss the locally owned 5 & Dimes that I grew up with.  They had so much fun stuff and the staff was always helpful.

I also miss Gibsons.  It was a chain store of the Wal-mart variety, but much more friendly.

19. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

Jordan Marsh, Boston.  It was bought out by Macy's, and it just isn't the same.  Filenes - another one.  Then, of course, Woolworth's and Kresge's.  I also miss the neighborhood/local drug stores that had the usual stuff but then there own unique stuff.  We have nothing but chain pharmacies in my area now.

20. CarpetDiem profile image78
    CarpetDiemposted 7 years ago

Thrifty's became RiteAid, and they've been removing the ice cream counters at the front of the stores... at least around here... sad