jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

Resume Objective

1. caravalhophoto profile image60
    caravalhophotoposted 6 years ago

Hi fellow hubbers,

I am drawing a complete blank and could use a tip.  I am applying for a Virtual Office position and need an objective for my resume.

I am trying to think of something creative, witty and not so everyday, yet respectful and appropriate for the position.

2. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

Unless they mandate it, you don't really need an objective on a resume. In this day and age, most everyone would put "to be employed and get paid".

That said, write something about looking for a position where you can fully utilize your expertise, knowledge and talents while learning a new industry/skill, etc.

caravalhophotoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the advise, I haven't been searching the "job market" for awaile and want my resume to stand out, I'm noticing the rules have changed quite a bit.

3. TINA V profile image82
    TINA Vposted 6 years ago

A career objective varies depending on what an applicant wants to achieve in the future.  If you are applying for a Virtual Office position, you should first evaluate if you want to apply for a staff or a junior management level.  Below is an example of a career objective.

To achieve a Junior Management position in a business administration company wherein I can render my services and provide virtual/ online cross-functional support

I suggest you read my article on Finding the Right Job for additional guidelines.

4. donotfear profile image90
    donotfearposted 6 years ago

I have an idea. Why not create a functional resume? It focuses mainly on your JOB SKILLS, not necessarily what jobs you've worked, but your skills pertaining to the job you are applying for. You can find a good example at the below site.

5. caravalhophoto profile image60
    caravalhophotoposted 6 years ago

Thanks Tina V annd donotfear...I will be checking out both hub and link...again, have not looked for a job in 6 years was really hoping my writing would pick up, realistically...need to keep a roof over my head and food in the belly...thanks for the advise and am researching all.

6. 60
    Rosa Bergerposted 6 years ago

You could go to a bookstore or a library and consult any of the resume/cover letter writing books. They are full of examples and you might find just the right one.

I would definitely add an objective because it gives the potential employer an idea of what you want (besides a pay that pays the bills). Be careful that the objective matches the job you are applying for.

7. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 6 years ago

As a long time resume reader, I was never interested in an applicant's objectives, I was always more enthused by whether that person could fulfil the objectives I placed on the position

caravalhophotoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Interesting and I totally agree.

8. mishel ronld profile image61
    mishel ronldposted 4 years ago

I am resume writer and expert I write so many resume objectives for different profile resume objective is small statement but it is the the important part of candidate profile.

9. stevencruiser profile image60
    stevencruiserposted 4 years ago

Resume objective should be written in such a way so that it could show your ability and skills. You can check on the web for examples of resume objective.