jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)

Is There To Much Content On The Internet?

1. bgamall profile image85
    bgamallposted 6 years ago

Wall Street Journal says there is an overload of content. Just wondering what others think. I ran across this today. http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2009/ … dvertising

And will google penalize for too much content one day?

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Of course there's too much content on the internet, and 90% of it is cr@p. 

We avoid the worst of it by relying on the search engines to deliver content to us.

3. Peter Hoggan profile image86
    Peter Hogganposted 6 years ago

The underlying theme here is from a commercial perspective, and hey there is nothing wrong with that, but the idea that user generated content is actually hurting online advertising revenues is woefully misplaced.

I think that big business are finding it increasingly difficult to push their marketing messages in the same way as they used to. In fact their customers are not only responsible for generating the content to which they refer to, they also read it when considering doing business with them… Its called social media!

IMO the article represents a complete disconnect between business and the consumers they actually want to reach.

Will Google penalize for too much content? No, but it will penalize too much spam.

1. bgamall profile image85
      bgamallposted 6 years ago in reply to this

But Peter, it would seem that social media is a weak advertising medium!

And Marisa I don't know how search engines filter the best from the worst. They accept websites technically engineered to their specifications, but I don't know that they actually get the best content at the top.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't think they do it very effectively, but they're better than nothing.  However I agree with WriteAngled that as the spammers get increasingly clever about beating the search engines, more and more rubbish slips through.

I also wonder if there will be some kind of major shift in the way the internet is used.

4. 0
    cosetteposted 6 years ago

nothing's worse than looking for a good song on YouTube and you start playing it and it's some guy playing guitar in his room yikes

i have thought about all that stuff on the internet. will it just get too big someday? and what happens when it does? will it blow up?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image88
      Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It will all fall over under the weight of cr@ppy content and scatter the people of the earth in all directions--like the tower of Babel.

5. Peter Hoggan profile image86
    Peter Hogganposted 6 years ago

Social media a weak advertising medium? Try telling that to companies like Blendtec or any of the many thousands of others who have actualy got a handel on the thing.

6. easyspeak profile image78
    easyspeakposted 6 years ago

good content will rise to the top through a viral and democratic process. it's already happening with search engine algorithms and viral marketing.

on the contrary, I believe we will see the opposite affect of the tower of babel and everyone will soon speak the same language - either english or mandarin, it has yet to be determined...

7. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 6 years ago

I disagree. I find Google increasingly presents me with useless sites, such as empty directories or "SEO-optimised" pages that contain keywords and whatever, but no real information. I often have to trawl through 20+ pages of search results to find what I need. Incidentally, I have a postgrad diploma in library and information studies and have been trained in search strategies, so I am not approaching Google in total ignorance.

1. Eric Graudins profile image61
      Eric Graudinsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, the number of sites with useless content does appear to be increasing.

I believe that this is due to the vast resources that many internet marketers devote to providing google with what google considers to be "good content".

You can get article spinners which produce 1000 garbage versions of an original article, and submit it to hundreds of garbage article sites.

Thousands of people are being paid a couple of dollars an hour to set up linking schemes to artificially boost the google rankings of substandard web pages.

Basically, if your site uses keywords in the title, URL, description, and sparingly in the headings and the text of your
      articles, and you rhave a load of authoritative links pointing back at your site with a mix of anchor links, your site should do pretty well in the listings.

you're being kind in saying that 90% of the content on the net is crap.
      I'd say more than 95% lol

Eric G.

8. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Also, please keep in mind, GOOGLE doesn't index the entire Internet either.

It only index about 300 Million to 1 Billion websites, pages, blogs and whatnot.

Just in case, you're not aware- the Internet has some 300 Billion websites, blogs, pages and whatnot available for access.

GOOGLE just happens to index more than it's competition.

I hope I helped. smile

Btw- is there too much content on the Internet? Absolutely! There is way too much garbage. People are stealing other people's content. Plus there is the MLM aspect with replicating affiliate websites.  Yes, there is absolutely too much content.

9. 0
    lyricsingrayposted 6 years ago

never too much of anything. kiss.

10. 60
    curioxatposted 6 years ago

The problem is I don't know where to start anymore. Google search 9/10 lists sites I really have no interest in, but they've just done well to get the top of their listings.