Strangest Request I have ever had

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

I replied to an ad for a Store Manager position recently. I was sent an e-mail this week by the talent aquisitions person of this well known company who asked me if I would be available to do a phone interview on such and such a day.
    I have never done a phone interview has anyone else?

1. thirdmillenium profile image62
      thirdmilleniumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Phone interviews are as common as face to face interview nowadays what with skype and things.
      Don't worry, go for it!
      Best of luck

2. benakoa profile image60
      benakoaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Phne interbiews are a very effective recruiting tool. Especially in this economy where talent is spread all across the country. Someone in ME can interview for a job in CA.

Nothing wrong with phone interviews. As a matter of fact I prefer them as I can do one while on break at my current job instead of having to take the entire day off.

Maybe the recruiter is based in a state other than where the position is advertised.

Too many pros than cons to phone interviewing.

(Now you cannot say Affirmative action had something to do with you getting the job unless you spoke with a stereotypical language and used stereotypical slang in which case you would not be hired anyways. You will not be able to claim your tatoos prevented you from getting the job and so on and so forth)

3. benakoa profile image60
      benakoaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe the recruiter telecomutes? Maybe the recruiter is from India!

4. loweh1 profile image59
      loweh1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Phone interviews seem to be the norm currently.  Usually this cuts down on expense travel etc and also filters out unlikely candidates.  Once the company has a shortlist prepared, they will call the most likely candidates in for a face to face interview.

5. easybusinesslinks profile image60
      easybusinesslinksposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It all depends if the phone would want to ask the questions or answer them...you can do nought but try!!

1. Ohma profile image61
        Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile thats cute! I tried made it to round 3 Yeah!

6. profile image0
      B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

they are very common, it was just catching on before I became disabled..
      They interview you by phone and then if they like you , you will usually get a second interview set up, the second being in person, face to face..

do not worry about it, it is a very common practice, especially with big name companies.

7. gramarye profile image61
      gramaryeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had to APPLY for a job over the phone once by leaving a 5 minute promotion of why I wanted the job - all into an answering machine. I did get invited for an interview but had found a better job while I waited. It really felt weird!

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that would feel weird. I don't like talking to an answering machine. I've seen 30 second promos on news shows and radio spots.

8. ddsurfsca profile image70
      ddsurfscaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have but only once, and it ws with one of the major fastfood chains.  It was a good job, they had profit sharing for the management, and in  a three and half month period of time i was able to save up two thousand dollars and still paid all my bills too

2. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Thanks thirdmillenium, its all new to me but yes I will go for it.

3. Wayne Orvisburg profile image63
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years ago

The plus is they can't see if you're nervous. So just don't sound like you're nervous. (That is if you do get nervous) Breathe normally and remember to smile. You can tell if the person on the other line is smiling or not.

4. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

A friend of mine get drunk one night after having a row with his wife, unable to face her he asked me if I would go to his house and tell her he loved her....I did....we did.....and they got divorced smile

5. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

I have done that a couple of times. Didn't get the job though and thankfully so. big_smile

6. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Benakoa and Wayne thanks for the good advice
    Irish I am not sure I understand the relevence but I am sure there is in interesting tale in that
    Ultimate I actually do hope I get the position. I really need to go back to work. My hubby and I are suffering from to much closeness and since he is disabled I need to get out of the house.

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63
      TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are we living the same life?? wink I wish you the best of luck!!

1. Ohma profile image61
        Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

GlassSpider
        For your sake I hope not. I woudn't wish my life on anyone! wink

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63
          TheGlassSpiderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well that just cinches it, we ARE living the same roller coaster of a life wink

7. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

An interview over the phone could work to your advantage. You could write down some questions they maybe likely to ask you along with your answers, that way you can refer to your notes and answers. Which you can't do face to face. Good luck. smile

8. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

A phone interview isn't unusual, it's actually used to whittle away on a large list of applicants they are interested in.  Good luck!

9. readytoescape profile image61
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

Phone interviews have become quite common as of late. They are like a second round qualifier, if your resume or application gets noticed you will get a call. Some of these are in depth, others are usually performed by HR departments as prescreening. If you make through this process, you may get a face-to-face interview with the hiring authority.

I have had experiences with multiple telephone interviews, first a prescreening with HR department, then the HR manager, then a conference call with HR and the Hiring Authorities and finally in-person interviews singularly and then by committee.

10. wychic profile image86
    wychicposted 14 years ago

I've had a ton of phone and Skype interviews...but then again, I am a freelancer and I live out in the middle of nowhere. When I did VA work everyone wanted to talk to me before they hired me, and now anyone with a large project or ongoing work generally wants to talk to me before handing it over to me. It's more convenient for everyone concerned than meeting in person, and in the case of distance is a great way for a potential employer to connect with you and get a feel for what kind of person you are. I agree that writing down answers to some common questions is a good idea if you're worried about it, but don't forget to just be yourself, especially since you're applying for a management position.

11. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I've done lots of phone interviews for articles I've been assigned. I found, however, that email usually worked better for me and for the person being interviewed.

12. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Try this as a suggestion...if no one has told you this tip yet on "Phone Interviews"

Human Resource Management Phone Interview/Conversation Tip: Smile while you are talking...believe it or not...you can tell the differance on the other end of the phone...it helps radiate confidence, positive attitude, good personality, etc. in your voice. It is even recommended to have a mirror in front of you to be sure you are smiling the whole time.

Best of fortune...and Success to you in your Phone Interview.

1. wyanjen profile image72
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes! Great advice, this is true.

Good luck smile

13. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Thanks Everyone
    I appreciate all the wonderful advice, and insights. Cross your fingers for me I really need this to work out. The position is right up my alley, close to home, and the company has been around forever.
    Send me good Hubbervibes on this one!

1. pooja0908 profile image60
      pooja0908posted 14 years agoin reply to this

all the best for interview

14. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Thanks everyone for wishing me well! It must have gone ok she said I made it to the second round which was an online assesment that took me two hrs. Now I am crossing my fingers again!

15. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

I once phoned one of those chat lines, and I was asked if I was going to pay with American Express...is that a telephone interview...sort of smile

16. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Loweh1
    I sort of figured that is what was going on.
    I am now waiting for a reply to my assesment. I am crossing my fingers. I would love to have this position.

Irish Yeah sort of I guess maybe?

17. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Yippee! Made it to the third portion of the interview process. I have a face to face interview tomorrow!!! smile

P.S. Thanks Marissa Wright after reading your hub about Resume Writing I immediately updated mine. This is the first company I sent the updated one too.

18. Dame Scribe profile image55
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Good luck, Ohma smile sounds like you're doing fantastically!

19. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Thank-you Dame Scribe, You have no idea how badly I need this job. I have been out of work since Sept. and it is getting really tight at my house if you know what I mean.

20. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Thanks B.c.

21. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Well I got this Job!! Just found out this morning. Starts Monday and I am so excited!

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

congrats!  I think phone interviews are popular now as pre-screening because there are so many applicants.  also group interviews are popular for this reason to screen those who are most interested and qualified.

good luck with your new position! smile

2. gramarye profile image61
      gramaryeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations!

22. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Thanks rebekaELLE I am overjoyed!

23. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

gramarye yes it felt extremly wierd. but it woked out good for me!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)