jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Cover Letter Question

1. Barrett S profile image61
    Barrett Sposted 6 years ago

I'm applying for a design internship this summer in the video game industry.  As I was working on my resume and cover letter I had an idea to do my cover letter as a short story.  In it I would include the normal information, but I thought it would be an interesting way to separate myself from the numerous other applications, and show off my creativity a little bit.

Just curious as to what people think of this idea.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If I was hiring for the job, that would be a very quick way to get your resume in the garbage bin.

I don't want to wade through a short story to get the information I need.  I want to know how you've applied your creativity to your work.  Give me a concrete example of how you did that in your cover letter, and you've got my attention.

I wrote a Hub about cover letters.

2. girly_girl09 profile image79
    girly_girl09posted 6 years ago

I have heard of people getting good results with this before, when used correctly. Where you're not applying for a traditional, conservative position, I think it could definitely set you apart and help show your creativity, which I'm sure is a huge deciding factor for a design internship!

Good luck.

3. 0
    rhartlandsbergposted 6 years ago

Does the job involve you needing writing/story telling skills? If so I would say a definite yes because it's great to distinguish yourself with your cover letter. If those writing it as a story doesn't showcase any of the skills you are trying to promote then I would shy away from it.

4. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 6 years ago

Hi, yeah it might just work, you could always try a poem! but they might not have a sense of humour, ha ha

5. Barrett S profile image61
    Barrett Sposted 6 years ago

The 'Design' term is very general for the job as it could land me in various places one of which is a Writer for video games.  That is why I thought it would be a good idea for this application.

And girly_girl I'm glad you have heard of this having good results before, I hope it has the same good results for me.

6. bgpappa profile image82
    bgpappaposted 6 years ago

I have actually seen people try creative things in cover letters, with very mixed results.  Done well, you will stand out.  Done badly, you will stand out as well, just not in the way you want.

The point is it has to be done very carefully.  But if your creativity is what they are looking for I think it is a great idea.

7. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I would do some thorough background research first on the company and see if you can figure out their 'work culture.' what is the environment like, how long have they been in business, etc.

the cover letter has to tell them you're worth an interview and you have ALL the qualifications they want. if you can do that in a professional manner, you could give it a try. or you could include a sample with your resume and let them know in the cover letter.

good luck!

8. Flightkeeper profile image78
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

For a design job isn't it your portfolio what they'll be looking at? How you will stand out in your cover letter is not so much in your story but in letting the company know how eager you want to work for them and what makes you the kind of person they'll want to hire.  It's a creative job, they expect you to be creative.