jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Job Service Insult or Injury

1. luvpassion profile image60
    luvpassionposted 6 years ago

The Mississippi job service has ceased taken walk-in workers and are now requiring job seekers to look for jobs online first.

Does anyone else feel this is ridiculous, a friend went down there looking for work and they gave her a slip of paper and instructions on how to access their site.

What about people who don't have access to a computer?

What about people who are illiterate? Are they now considered second rate? I'm sorry, but this just doesn't seem right. Are the job services not government funded?

2. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

I also thought it was ridiculous when my area went online, but it seems to be working fine.  Our Job Center has computers available for a job search and there are computers at the library.  Transitioning to a current and online environment does take some getting used to.  Good luck. smile

3. Michael Willis profile image78
    Michael Willisposted 6 years ago

It makes their decision more clinical. They will not have to see the person at first and hear how bad they need a job. This way they can make decision to call back, hire or reject purely on what is written online.
    And I am sure they were receiving a lot of people looking for work.
    I would never hire anyone I didn't meet face to face and get "a feel for" in an interview.

4. luvpassion profile image60
    luvpassionposted 6 years ago

The problem is Mr. Willis, (and it's a shame really in this day) many people in this state still have a hard time reading and writing. Now that they can't go in and talk to a live person many will have nowhere to turn.

Hey! Maybe that's the way to solve this whole economic recovery thing. Just seperate the educated from the uneducated and get rid of them.