jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Is it advisable to take up Employment in Start Up Companies?

1. ramkkasturi profile image60
    ramkkasturiposted 6 years ago

Opinions and experiences seem to vary with regard to employment in start up companies
    Start ups are attractive to work provided  one is willing to put in many hours and show loyalty, is one version. A second version is that what is promised and  what is experienced are not same and the stock options also end up yielding much less than anticipated due to dilution.

Please Share your experiences and opinions.

2. 60
    sreekanth goudposted 6 years ago

This is one of the very imortant forums I have seen at Hub pages .Yes, it is advisable provided they have enough integrity. I found that quite a few lack that and are pushed by the VCs. As  you rightly said in article published yesterday, there is great dilution effect (incidetally quite a few of our students take interest in your articles). One of the units I worked for was not able to clear debt and was borrowing heaily by the third yr. I did not find big difference between start ups of developed countries and developing coutries. In developing countries there seems to be better support by Govt in various ways.

3. Csjun89 profile image74
    Csjun89posted 6 years ago

Not really, it is best to give them some time and watch whether they will succeed in the future

4. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 6 years ago

Start ups can be a great place to work if you want to be in at the start of something new and help grow it into something successful. Obviously you will probably start with lower wages with a huge workload to get things moving but if the company is successful and you have been an instrumental part in this then the future can be what you make it. The chances for progression are often greater and with a far more rapid pace as a start up grows and those with responsibility are promoted into various positions with greater rewards.....

But the risks are much greater than with getting a job at an established company as many start ups fail for a multitude of reasons.. Just make sure that you assess the other people involved in the start up and the product in question, if you don't believe in either don't do it....

1. FranchiseLearn profile image60
      FranchiseLearnposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Is it advisable to take up employment at startup companies?  The answer to this question depends on the particular startup company.  Do your due diligence.  Research the start up company at which you are considering an employment opportunity.  If possible, look into the companies financial backing, strategic plan, and management experience.  If you took up employment at Google when it was a startup company in the late 1990s, chances are you would not be thinking about taking up employment right now.  Instead you'd be lying on a beach somewhere. 

On the flip side, the large majority of startup companies go belly up.  So it really depends on the particular company in question with each instance of considering employment at a startup company.