jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Personal Brand in the 21st century

1. thebrandbutton profile image59
    thebrandbuttonposted 6 years ago

I am interested in what you guys out there think about my view that there is a change happening from people focusing on being a 'Company Man / Woman' to being their own man / woman and that Personal Brand, changes in career partners and a Generation Y attitude beginning to prevail. Why become an ABC Ltd clone when you could be either oout of work or working for DEF PLC next month?? Tell me what you think....

1. psycheskinner profile image81
      psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think you are a little unclear.  Jobs are not as secure as they used to be, so people have to be more indeoendent.  But I think people have an identity and a style, not a brand (unless they are a consultant or self-employed.)

2. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

I think more people are becoming aware of the concept of personal brand, but I think most don't have any idea what it is or how to use it.

Worse is the number of people who don't know what personal branding is, aren't aware that it exists, and are creating, unknowingly, personal brands of idiocy that they will be hard pressed to be rid of.

I would also add that, the reason people are shifting from wanting to be a "company man" is because companies have shifted and are no longer entities in which individuals feel relevant.  Sort of a la Marx on that front.  People don't believe companies give a crap about them, so why would they want to be a "company man" of a company they don't think has any intention of being there for them. 

It's everyone for themselves out there right now, with islands of meaning scattered randomly about.

1. psycheskinner profile image81
      psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I am aware of the idea of a personal brand and consider it silly and unecessary.

3. JoshuaBlack profile image61
    JoshuaBlackposted 6 years ago

In general, a personal brand is only going to get you far if you own your own business or consulting practice. If you brand yourself inside your company, it makes you come across as more of an outsider than an achiever.

Companies do not want employees that promote just themselves. They want employees that will make the business better as a whole.

The idea of personal branding inside a business is a passing fad in my opinion. If people want to build their own image that badly, they need to become entrepreneurs, as they are doing their own business a disservice.

4. GmaGoldie profile image86
    GmaGoldieposted 6 years ago

The world is rapidly changing.  Your e-image, your personal brand is your new calling card.  In the 1800's we had "calling cards", then we had business cards and in the new world there is now a JIST card a shortened resume and your Internet image.

A google alert to see what your name brings up is mandatory in today's new world.

Job hunting must start with knowing what the web will say about you.

Your electronic image is your new reputation - manage it or it will manage you.