Best way to pass on gas prices to your clients?

1. Sprinkler Man profile image61
    Sprinkler Manposted 8 years ago

I was just curious, if you have your own business and you need to drive or use power equipment for your business, what is the best way to pass on the high gas prices to your clients?

Should you put disclaimers in your contracts that "these prices may change due to rising gas prices"?

Should you increase your pricing to all of your clients? How would you present this to them?

Should you increase your pricing like OPEC / speculators do for oil? I think the oil prices we see today are for oil in 2015 or some future price that no one really knows about. Its funny how they adjust the gas prices based on prices in some future that no one really knows about. Its all SPECULATION.

If you are a landscaper for example and you cut grass and use other gasoline powered equipment - how do you determine what gas prices will be a year from now, if you do not want to increase your pricing for at least a year?

Thanks for your input. I will be writing a hub on this and I just wanted to get some other ideas - if you have any.

2. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 8 years ago

That's a tough question SM.

I am lucky (or smart?) my business does not directly depend on oil prices, so I don't have to concern myself with this - and I see how this can easily become a survival question for some. I think the best you can do is to ensure your customers bear the costs in fair proportion, and communicate to them what you are doing clearly.

If you have enough staying power, nerve, and skill - this could be an opportunity to knock down some of your weaker competitors - by keeping your prices constant for some time, while they are rising theirs.