jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

How is career in web designing and development?

1. PMS9 profile image54
    PMS9posted 6 years ago

Please don't advice me about freelance jobs.

1. 60
      jacky56posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Web design and development can be a good career option. At this current time, there are various options for this line of work and if you have artistic skills, it can be fairly simple to learn. Some people use web designing as a hobby or to earn extra income.

2. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Unfortunately this is one of those tech jobs that our beloved Corporate America loves to ship overseas.

They cringe at the idea of paying an American a living wage; when instead they have the option to pay someone overseas a fifth of the amount for the same work.

What they frequently do is hire one American web designer to oversee the 5 foreign web designer temps.

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

the OP is from India.

I have a friend who has his own business and he does very well, but he does more than design. He also does computer programming and runs sites.

it's probably better to find a company hiring instead of trying the freelance route. if you know programming as well, these jobs are out there and they pay very well. my son has one.

if you do a simple job search, you will find thousands of jobs posted for the IT industry here in the states.

3. 61
    forextcposted 6 years ago

I really like web design. I used to Project manage in a software development company that employed some web developers.

Having looked into it as a career path (it's great to get paid for something you actually like doing right?) I soon dropped the idea.

I'm UK based and digital design agencies here pay real peanuts - even for management roles.

Totally agree with paradigmsearch. The reason - they can get the work done more cheaply overseas.

I think it is one of those jobs where 'do it for the love not the money' applies.

1. Elite Publishings profile image74
      Elite Publishingsposted 6 years ago

Web designing and development huh?  As @paradigmsearch has already stated the demand on state-side designing and development is at an all time low.  People are always complaining about "buying" American but when it comes down to it, they usually take the cheaper way out.  I'm sorry to say that the economic state "a.k.a. depression" is to blame for this.  Jobs have become scarce no matter what the field, but unlike construction or retail sales, the internet has open unparalleled doors to foreign countries that charge less for work over the internet, sometimes resulting in a better product at a obscenely low rates.

I have tried a few different freelance sites to help pick up work for my web based company and have had very poor luck.  I like you, have had many applications, and a few interviews.  I have found that the going rate on graphic design, and web development is priced at a staggering $5/hr US.  I find this highly offensive but this is what the world has come to.  $5/hr us conforms to almost $15/hr in the Philippines. 

The only advice that I can give to you is to just hang in there.  Crappy advice at its best but that has worked for me, and gave me the opportunity to launch my own career in this field.  Good luck and best wishes.

2. rpgwe profile image60
      rpgweposted 6 years ago

If you have capabilities, market will never be low for you.

1. 0
        ryankettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with this statement. One major project leads to other major projects. It's just a case of getting a break, I have a friend who spent years taking crappy freelances job, before designing an interface for a major corporation - his phone never stopped ringing then, to the point that he could effectively name his price.