jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What do you do when you are totally irritated with your boss?

1. ponx profile image90
    ponxposted 6 years ago

Recently I was in this situation. Wanted to know what you would do when you are in this position?

1. medina112 profile image60
      medina112posted 6 years ago in reply to this

depends on what your boss did to irritate you...
      if he/she was so bad and contiues to be really bad i would start looking for another job and leave on good terms rather then on bad terms, especially when people ring for a referrence

1. ponx profile image90
        ponxposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Didn't treat me badly but you know sometimes people just irritate the crap out of you!

2. Denise Handlon profile image88
    Denise Handlonposted 6 years ago

It depends.  If it is work related regarding my schedule and it is nonnegotiable, I usually vent to a friend.  If it is a graver problem, like a harrassment issue, then I take it to H.R.  If it is merely a personality annoyance, I let it go...her problem, not mine.

3. MercuryNewsOnline profile image39
    MercuryNewsOnlineposted 6 years ago

If the source of your irritation concerns undue comments, sexual harassment or unfair labor practice then you have the right to complain. I suggest you tell him/her in a professional way why his or her actions irritate you. Then ask your boss to stop what he/she is doing. If he/she continues with it write a formal letter of complaint to the top management and involve your union thru your union representative or steward. Then file a grievance if he/she continues.
    Your are also entitled to file a stress leave and once your medical confirms that you are suffering from workplace stress you may file for compensation.
    Hope this helps.

1. ponx profile image90
      ponxposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the tips Denise and MercuryNews!

4. Tusitala Tom profile image88
    Tusitala Tomposted 6 years ago

There is an old cartoon of World War Two soldiers lying in a trench behind sandbags whilst shells and machine gun bullets fly overhead.  The sergeant is saying to one of his juniors: 
    "Now, son, about that resignation..."

The point being made is are you in a position where you can resign?   Or even would the situation be so bad that you'd HAVE to considerate it.  An irritating boss is one thing.  A boss you cannot abide is another.  Some people put up with so much because they're feeling insecure and frightened to resign.  So they suppress those emotions and either end up taking out their angst on their family, or end up sick with some sort of hypertension.

So if it's just a temporary irritation, bear with it.  Bosses are human, too.  But if it's an ongoing exasperation which just won't go away then....you go away.  Just walk away from it.