jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (13 posts)

Should Newspapers Charge Fees For People To Access Their Websites Cont

1. TheOneWhoKnows profile image60
    TheOneWhoKnowsposted 6 years ago

I think not

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago

I think so, minimal only because they have to resort to the Internet. (this applies to the reputable news agencies). They have families to feed to. Only that some are free like BBC and CNN so they will die down eventually.

1. richtwf profile image60
      richtwfposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes very good point - we all have families to feed so a reasonable charge should be acceptable.

3. richtwf profile image60
    richtwfposted 6 years ago

It's a good question which I can't answer impartially; but personally as I and many others have been so used to being able to access online newsprint freely, it certainly dissuades you from wanting to pay for information which you've grown accustomed to not having to pay for.

4. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Charging a fee for that which is mostly free everywhere else is generally a risky business.

However, The Wall Street Journal has been successfully getting away with it for years… smile

5. Ultimate Hubber profile image79
    Ultimate Hubberposted 6 years ago

Instead, they should make money through advertisements on their websites. Charging users to read papers will mean less traffic when they can make more money through Ads.

6. 0
    scriber1posted 6 years ago

Charging a fee for a service is "getting away with it?"  Have we really become that ignorant a nation?

Or should we continue down the path of reducing our information providers to every Tom, Dick and Liar who can operate a computer to spread ignorance and manipulation.

The choices both begin with a D:  Democracy or demagoguery?

7. A la carte profile image59
    A la carteposted 6 years ago

As newspaper sales dwindle and we access more on the internet then it is only reasonable to make a small charge or have subscriptions.

8. 0
    Go Writerposted 6 years ago

Tough cookies with the news. I know it's sad that print is going away, but that's the sign of the times.

If they choose to make their news paid instead of free, people will just go elsewhere to find news for free.

It's very difficult to get people who are used to something free to suddenly change to paid. So journalists will have to take up the internet, look into press releases, etc. Advertisements.

Perhaps online advertising needs to modify and become more interactive.

Free news and free info is not something people will gladly give up freely.

9. Michael Willis profile image78
    Michael Willisposted 6 years ago

I believe it is only fair for Newspapers that offer an online service to charge a fee. Especially "Local Newspapers."

You could find  National, Worldwide, Sports and other news interests on the web, BUT...Where will you find all of your local news in one place?
    Would you prefer to spend hours upon hours searching for your local news site by site or Go to one place to find everything you are looking for?

How would you know to search the Web for information about a local business planning to come into your town without finding it in the newspaper or the TV broadcast? How about the local fundraiser by Third Grade Class at a local school? Or how about how Mr. Smith helped an elderly lady in the countryside by donating his time to fix up her home for her or take time to drive her to the grocery store?

This type of News you normally find only in your local newspaper. And the people that bring you this News works to find the info for you and has a family to feed. Ads on a web page will not take care of them.

So I definitely believe it is fair for Newspaper Online to ask for a Fee.

There is so much News we would not know about if not for Local Newspapers, writers or local online News. I will gladly pay for their services. And do.

1. 0
      BenjaminBposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well stated Michael,exactly what I was thinking when I saw this feed title. People so often forget that it could very well be their neighbor that they are forcing out of a job with the selfish belief that all information sources should be free.

It's this attitude that will have everyone in the world either working poor paying production jobs or fighting over affiliate pennies on the internet someday.

There must be an end to the madness of cutting out the middle man in every aspect of the world.

10. Single Survival profile image60
    Single Survivalposted 6 years ago

I agree with generating revenue with advertisements.  Newspapers once generated revenue by the subscription costs as well as advertisers.  That money was greatly used to pay for the production and distribution of the paper newspapers.  The internet is virtually free in comparison to the cost of printing the newspapers. 

One major drawback, however, is those will be more jobs that will eventually be lost.  As the business evolves into 100% online (which I am sure it will), the employee base will be reduced to reporters, office staff, and an IT department.  Meaning those men and women who have been running presses and throwing papers for years will no longer be necessary.

11. Jo Deslaurier profile image82
    Jo Deslaurierposted 6 years ago

I think that they can charge fees but I don't think it will help their business in the long run. The internet has plenty of news outlets and people will generally go to the one that doesn't require them to pay a subscription fee.